• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

14 Round Season

Bladesman

Looks like the plan is for a 14 round season this year - http://www.ccfootball.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122:2011-competitions-calendar&catid=176:documents&Itemid=23. It is going to be an interesting finals series with a potential 4 week break before it.

Revilo

So let's say there are no washouts this year.

Do we know whether those 4 rounds will be filled up with additional games or are they ONLY there for washouts?

That is pretty lame having the potential for 4 weeks off in a row, it doesn't sound realistic.

Also, does anyone know what the policy is regarding whether teams get promoted or demoted?

scottmac

Suspended
You would think that if there were no washouts then come the second last round or before the last they would move the finals series forward.

marinermick

From what I understand if there are gaps at the end of the season through lack of washups the CCF will organise games in between. They will do things like gala days with similar grades and are looking at other forms of competitive matches to give extra value..

Am happy that we are guaranteed fourteen games and that there will be equity in the competition for the first time in years i.e. no being washed out against teams coming last which cost us a semi spot on at least two occasions.

Kareem

If, what MarinerMick said is true...then hats off to the CCF!
But what I want to know is...say there are 3 washouts. That leaves 1 free weekend. Would CCF still organise some sort of gala day or what not?
I have no doubts they would if there were several weeks.
I would like a guarantee that there will be no football-free weekends if weather is good!
It's a big promise, but it would make a lot of people warm to this plan a lot better!

darrensprod

Guys

Can confirm what Mick put is his post. Realistically we have 20 weeks in the season. Council will not let us use their grounds for night games except in exceptional circumstances. So realistaclly with a final series and three to four weeks for washouts we have room to catch every thing up. There will be no washouts, just postponements.

There will be eight team comps where ever possible and possibly 6 teams (15 rounds) if required. If there are no washouts we will use the time to run Galadays etc.

We heard the feedback from last year about the washout policy and belived this was the most equitable way. In essence most people played 12-14 games last year anyway but in this scenraio everyone will play each team twice (or three time for 6 team comps).

If for some reason we have massive amounts of rain then we will look to shorten the final series and as a last, last resort cancel them. The League will come first.

Regards
Darren Sprod

Kareem

Is there a model set forth for a shortened final series???
No offence, but I think it should be made public before season begins.
Typically a 3 weeks series as well are familar with
But could the contingency model be:
2 week series
1st vs 4th
2nd vs 3rd
Winners play in Grand Final
???

Forum Phoenix

Thank you Darren,

I appreciate that my own feedback and others has been listened too.
Sincerely looking forward to fair an equitable tables at the end of this season.

Kareem

ok
I'm satisfied :lol:
And thats not an easy job Darren :p
We'll see how it all unfolds. But it looks very very well thought out!
I guess you guys took all that flak in your stride.
Here's hoping to a fun season of football!

Bladesman

Darren, thanks for your input appreciate you reaching out on the forum.

Given that the finals series is part of the contingency and may not be played, was/is there any consideration of doing away with it completely and going to a 1st past the post system? This would then give every player the opportunity to have an 18 game season and maintain spare weekends in case of rain?

darrensprod

Darren, thanks for your input appreciate you reaching out on the forum.

Given that the finals series is part of the contingency and may not be played, was/is there any consideration of doing away with it completely and going to a 1st past the post system? This would then give every player the opportunity to have an 18 game season and maintain spare weekends in case of rain?

We did. What happened is that followiung last years competition we had a full reveiw lead by our General manager. Part of that review called for particpants from clubs. We got representatives from 8 clubs and ran it over 4 weeks in October/November. The concesius from those involved that while first past the post was the ideal a lot of people look forward to those three weeks at the end of the year. So a balance was the best approach.

luvsoccer

Guys

Realistically we have 20 weeks in the season. There will be no washouts, just postponements.

There will be eight team comps where ever possible and possibly 6 teams (15 rounds) if required. If there are no washouts we will use the time to run Galadays etc.

Regards
Darren Sprod

Above quote has been edited.

I agree that everyone wants a better competition than the farce of last year and agree with settiing aside weekends for washouts. That is what used to happen. Do not wish to be argumentatice and I am not knocking the committe that decided upon this concept but I have a couple of observations.
1) Just wondering where the "realistic 20 weeks" comes from as there are actually 26 weekends from the start of April to end of September. Take out Easter and we still have 25. Therefore if no wahouts for 8 team comps we will use 14 for comp and 3 for semis. This leaves 8 weekends not utilised. If we had 10 team comps that would mean 18 for comp and 3 for semis ans still be leaving 4 for washouts. I feel that the 2 round 8 team concept is robbing people of games.They are only playing 2/3 of the number of games they played 2 seasons ago. If we are to have 8 team comps what is going to happen to Premier League and Division One. Are they to stay at 10 teams or if not what is going to happen?
3) "If there are no washouts we will use the time to run Galadays etc." I am aware that this idea was raised a couple of years ago and was rejected by a number of clubs including ours as players did not want to risk injury in non-event games heading into the finals series.
4) In the past I know our club has had problems with Council about usage of our ground so they can get it ready for cricket. I am worried that if they see us shortening our season to this extent we will have our usage reduced by Council to 5 months or less instead of the 6 months we should be entitiled to.

I know some will say ask my club. Unfortunately some of us cannot always get the necessary or correct information from our club.

Was wondering if CCF could publish comprehensive details on their web site for all to see.

darrensprod

We dont have grounds until the end of September. In fact we have all council grounds until the end of August. We can apply for extensions for some grounds into September (as has been done in the past) but grounds like Terrigal, Fagans park etc that have Turf cricket pitches must be handed over at the end of August so they can prepare the turf wickets. So realistically the season runs from 1st weekend in April until last weekend in August. If we want finals, they cant all be played at Pluim Park so we need additional grounds.

The other factor is Champion of Champions which now starts on 11 September.

Regards
Darren Sprod

style_cafe

No matter what you do or how you structure the competition
come the end of the season you will always get the whingers.
Plan for the 3-4week break well in advance & don`t just organise social games with no meaning otherwise you`ll get crucified,
Good Luck.

hasbeen

Just as alarming is the removal of the Student's rate for registration. This now means any student aged 19 or over pays full whack. Which bright spark thought that one up?

Kareem

Yea, I was quite pleased to hear about the removal of student rates :headbutt:
I'm going to have to scramble extra $85 now...makes the season that little bit more undesirable...but I'll probably still play!
That said I have a great mate, full time student- hasn't play outdoor before (only 6 a side and indoor), and he was struggling for $150...now $235 will rule him out!
Thanks FNSW!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred