• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners Squad 2021/22

Rising Sun

And to think Staj and Co. let him go and Monty talked him into coming back because he saw something in him...

Long live our lord and saviour Monty! :D
The comment in the article that he was "let go by the previous coaching staff" didn't make any sense to me. He was never a contracted or scholarship player in Staj's time and I don't think Staj was calling the shots at the NPL

Maybe he was invited to train with the first team at the end of 2020 and then let go from that, but given his age, the fact that he had only played a handful of NPL games at that point, and his blindingly obvious potential, it would seem bizarre that Staj would banish him from the club completely rather than just send him back to NPL with some words of encouragement to see how he developed.

Ironbark

Monty clearly knows what he's doing and makes me feel confident we'll come out of this break strong too.

@Shaun Mielekamp - if we make any money from sales of players in the near future can you please convince MC to dump it straight into Monty's salary so we can hold onto him for a while?
We'll make more money with Monty at the coaching helm than without him, so it's an investment that will create returns

pjennings

I spoke to Monty after Jacob left. It seemed that Monty was disappointed that he chose to leave but he said that not everyone wanted to be be a professional footballer. He certainly thought that he could make it if he committed.

marinermick

The comment in the article that he was "let go by the previous coaching staff" didn't make any sense to me. He was never a contracted or scholarship player in Staj's time and I don't think Staj was calling the shots at the NPL

Maybe he was invited to train with the first team at the end of 2020 and then let go from that, but given his age, the fact that he had only played a handful of NPL games at that point, and his blindingly obvious potential, it would seem bizarre that Staj would banish him from the club completely rather than just send him back to NPL with some words of encouragement to see how he developed.

Wasn’t really let go by Staj. Was not in the head space to love the game and be a professional footballer. It was suggested he should get away from the game, get in the right head space and see if he has the desire to return after a break.

Last edited:

Rising Sun

Wasn’t really let go by Staj. Was not in the head space to love the game and be a professional footballer. It was suggested he should get away from the game, get in the right head space and see if he has the desire to return after a break.
The "let go" by Staj who "didn't rate him" was a direct quote from Monty in the article. Seems a bit un-monty like to be having a real dig like that but even odder given it is a fair way from the truth.

So I am assuming that either the journo has used some serious poetic license, or Monty is extremely miffed that he didn't get a Christmas card from Staj this year

Rising Sun

On the subject of the "best left back in the league", am I the only one who thinks things such as the way he reads the play and his composure on the ball are of the quality of a potentially top class CB, and that he might be even better in that position?

I have never seen or heard anyone else offer the same opinion, so am I missing something?

Tevor

On the subject of the "best left back in the league", am I the only one who thinks things such as the way he reads the play and his composure on the ball are of the quality of a potentially top class CB, and that he might be even better in that position?

I have never seen or heard anyone else offer the same opinion, so am I missing something?
Interesting thought, I've been seriously impressed with his engine. Before the postponements he played a good stint of regular football and wasn't showing any signs of lethargy like we regularly see of young blokes making the step up. If you still have gas in the tank you are less prone to brain explosions and lapses.

dibo

Allowing a kid some time to sort out whether he really wants to be a footballer is the smartest thing they can do.

Talent or otherwise, not every kid wants to be a professional football [see also: do all the things, make all the sacrifices, put up with all the ballaches that come with being a professional footballer].

If someone gets a view of it, is unsure, but goes away, thinks about it, and comes back with 100% commitment then they're more likely to succeed long term than someone who's always got doubts that this is where they want to be.

When they come back in, back them in 100% and demand the same in return.

Corsair

any signs of lethargy like we regularly see of young blokes making the step up. If you still have gas in the tank
I know we're all hailing the Messiah, but I noticed he doesn't have full match fitness yet, was getting cramps and flagging late in the game physically. Mentally still seemed sharp though.

He's a leftie who can go forward well and cross, much rarer than a CB. He would probably go well at CB but finding a good LB is much harder than a good CB.

Corsair

Maybe he just needed the money and thought he could play NPL and have a job, sometimes you earn more that way than being Pro.

shipwreck

I vaguely remember reading an article about a local youngster who was having some troubles with law enforcement or something like that, this was a while ago...

Who was that?

turbo

Is there an obvious need? Perhaps if Kye goes to Asia as has been touted.
If Kye (or RT) was to go we need to replace him. Not enough depth to lose a starting quality CB without replacing. If Birraz was to go we would need to replace him since our backup is injured. Anyone else would be missed to varying degrees but we could probably make do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami