• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Drive: Sydney to Melbourne

brett

Hi all,

Golden Boy and I are going to road trip down to Melbourne for the Aussieroos next week, a drive I haven't done before.

It's to see the match obviously, but also to have a look at what is between here and there from a perspective other than a plane window. But some advice would be nice!

Firstly, what route should we take? Or should we go coastal there and inland back or something?

Secondly, any highlights that you recommend we should check out?

Holzy

The Hume is the simplest way and with the road work on it in recent years it bypasses most of the towns, so it can be kinda boring to look at - I believe last time i went down it was compared to a Warner Bros cartoon backdrop in that it all seems to look the same till you hit a major city.
Highlights are almost non-existant, Big Marino, Ettamogah pub, and an old submarine enrtenched in the ground outside a food stop.
That said, take a good group and it can be a top road trip. If you do it over 2-3 days with pleanty of drink at night i reckon youll love it.

~Floss~

Coast road is more scenic, worth it if you're interested in the surf-spots along the way, but could get a bit frustrating if you just want to clock up the k's quickly.

marinermick

brett said:
Hi all,

Golden Boy and I are going to road trip down to Melbourne for the Aussieroos next week, a drive I haven't done before.

It's to see the match obviously, but also to have a look at what is between here and there from a perspective other than a plane window. But some advice would be nice!

Firstly, what route should we take? Or should we go coastal there and inland back or something?

Secondly, any highlights that you recommend we should check out?

the hume to melbourne is one of the most boring drives you could do - especially the albury to melbourne part where the scenery is much the same

the coastal route will double your time of travel but way more scenic

kevrenor

Brett & GB,

There are 4 main routes, with some variations, depending on just how much site-seeing time you have:

1. Hume Highway/Freeway - for shortest time, and most boredom, though you can come off at great places after you cross the border -
a) through Wodonga and Beechworth, with Milawa vineyards and cheese factory,
b) through Wodonga, left to go long tourist route via Bright/Mytleford then down snow road to join the Hume again
c) turn off right to Rutherglan Vineyards and then south to join Hume at Chiltern

2. Olympic Way / Central Victoria - over Blue Mountains, down through Cowra (vineyards, Japanese garden), Young, Junee, Wagga, then go over the border at say Yarrawonga, via Shepparton, Bendigo (tourist mine, tramway, vineyards),  and on the Melbourne

3. Princes Highway - all around the coast (include a stop at places like Bermagui, Merimbula, Eden & trial Bay, Lakes Entrance, various Gippsland locations)

4. Alps routes - a) down the Hume and Federal to Canberra, Cooma, then south to pick up the Princes, then Lakes Entrance etc, or b) (i) From Cooma go via Thredbo down to Kanchoban and Corryong, then across to Hume, ii) From Coooma via Kiandra to Corryong thence ...

P

Pete

Brett:

The coast road is great scenery BUT it is slow going and if you are in a hurry to get there  -or back home - it's murder.

The only advice I can give you, mate, is what I've heard about the Speed Cams down in Victoria. STAY VERY CLOSE TO THE SPEED LIMIT, THEIR SPEED CAMS ARE TUNED IN CLOSER TO THE SPEED LIMIT (than in NSW) AND THERE'S VERY LITTLE TOLERANCE IF YOU GO OVER THE LIMIT. :popo:

Oh, and when you get to Melbourne, LOOK OUT for the Trams! :eek:

Have a safe trip, guys.

brett

Thanks gents.

We will be going down via the Coast with a bit more time and powering back up the Hume.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred