• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

"I for one welcome our insect overlords" - The Politics Thread

Ironbark

Been thinking this myself over the last few months .... ...from Canada ...how some see the US, Canada is scared and some seem to think the US is heading for an unstoppable civil war ....

Interesting read if interested... and not a bad interview ... but the article is better...

https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...y/news-story/1cd5ae1dd2900462f0694f41a3878666
The age of the internet means there is, practically speaking, infinite sources of information but most of it is ill-informed opinion rather than reliable, valid information.
The trouble is the majority of people don't have the skills to filter it appropriately and critically assess their sources, the agenda of the sources, or the validity of their claims.

The result is that people end up down rabbit-holes aided by heuristics and biases. Once you hold a belief any information you come across that supports your belief is treated as a fact by your brain, whereas if it requires you to break your belief then cognitive dissonance kicks in and is uncomfortable and so it is most likely rejected.

The outcome is an increasing polarisation of belief and opinion and increasing divides in society. It is absolutely exacerbated by bots, trolls and manipulators driving their own agenda, usually with the goal of destabilisation.

This article is most concerning because it is all too likely. The reverberations will not only be felt but likely played out in their own ways all over the world.

Add environmental decline, AI, and increasing wealth gaps... things are getting to be more and more unpredictable.

The upside is - with more variables in play than ever there are more and more tangential trajectories that could play out rather than what appears inevitable. There is always hope!

pjennings

Oh that's a good one.

I also liked Betoota Advocate's take:

Djokovic sent to pick fruit out the back of Griffith after arriving in Melbourne with wrong visa
Not sure what Morrison's play will be here. He has wedged himself. Does he pander to the tough on border crowd or the libertarian crowd?

I suspect it will be a 45 minute word salad that will basically translate to :-

Justice has taken its course and we are happy with that, so let's all just enjoy the tennis.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Depends if you're talking about pandering to the RW libertarians or the LW ones......I'm convinced those who claim to be libertarians sit pretty far on either side.

Though typically the libertarians are on the right - and they're the same ones who want tougher borders.

dibo

I think Morrison wanted to look tough, and someone got the paperwork wrong. If they wanted to keep him out, he should never have been issued a visa. If they were unable to prevent him from being issued a visa, they shouldn't have cancelled it on arrival.

The notion that his application was 'blind reviewed' and approved is actually entirely plausible to me, and it's about as good as you could expect in terms of a process of ensuring that celebrity won't get you special treatment.

So the notion of cancelling the visa once he got here was always going to be dangerous. It's the reverse kind of 'special treatment' - he's got a reasonable argument that he's done everything he was asked to do and now because the Government doesn't like the PR angle, he's being scapegoated. As the judge asked today "what more could he have done"?

pjennings

I think Morrison wanted to look tough, and someone got the paperwork wrong. If they wanted to keep him out, he should never have been issued a visa. If they were unable to prevent him from being issued a visa, they shouldn't have cancelled it on arrival.

The notion that his application was 'blind reviewed' and approved is actually entirely plausible to me, and it's about as good as you could expect in terms of a process of ensuring that celebrity won't get you special treatment.

So the notion of cancelling the visa once he got here was always going to be dangerous. It's the reverse kind of 'special treatment' - he's got a reasonable argument that he's done everything he was asked to do and now because the Government doesn't like the PR angle, he's being scapegoated. As the judge asked today "what more could he have done"?

Except it appears that he did it after the deadline for medical exemptions. The questions was 'do you have a medical exemption?' Yes - he did - issued after the deadline for the Australian Open. The question was poorly worded and should have mentioned that an exemption after the deadline was not valid.

He was asked to load it - he did - and then received a standard computer-generated reply. If it had been done in the country where it was requested - as Tennis Australia had requested the Federal government to do then it would never have been issued as the fact that it was after the deadline would have disqualified him.

dibo

I count that all as falling under 'someone got the paperwork wrong' - there's about 5 steps in there where they could've denied him an exemption and denied him entry.

midfielder

The age of the internet means there is, practically speaking, infinite sources of information but most of it is ill-informed opinion rather than reliable, valid information.
The trouble is the majority of people don't have the skills to filter it appropriately and critically assess their sources, the agenda of the sources, or the validity of their claims.

The result is that people end up down rabbit-holes aided by heuristics and biases. Once you hold a belief any information you come across that supports your belief is treated as a fact by your brain, whereas if it requires you to break your belief then cognitive dissonance kicks in and is uncomfortable and so it is most likely rejected.

The outcome is an increasing polarisation of belief and opinion and increasing divides in society. It is absolutely exacerbated by bots, trolls and manipulators driving their own agenda, usually with the goal of destabilisation.

This article is most concerning because it is all too likely. The reverberations will not only be felt but likely played out in their own ways all over the world.

Add environmental decline, AI, and increasing wealth gaps... things are getting to be more and more unpredictable.

The upside is - with more variables in play than ever there are more and more tangential trajectories that could play out rather than what appears inevitable. There is always hope!
Worth watching... the bit between say 8 minutes and just after 9 minutes is especially interesting....

Last edited:

Wombat

good read...

Im not a Morrison fan but I shudder at the thought of Albo at the helm!

Just look at the difference with the same team but a different Captain.....Perrottet v Glayds.....it hasn't been pretty.

Ironbark

Just look at the difference with the same team but a different Captain.....Perrottet v Glayds.....it hasn't been pretty.

There's no individual or group of politicians in Aus that fill you with inspiration at the moment.

But when I think names like Dutton, BJoyce, Christensen and Lamming...not to mention Scomo...I'm absolutely ready to go with 'Other'

Kilsin

There's no individual or group of politicians in Aus that fill you with inspiration at the moment.

But when I think names like Dutton, BJoyce, Christensen and Lamming...not to mention Scomo...I'm absolutely ready to go with 'Other'
That's why it's best for us to put both the big parties last and second last and pick an independent that aligns with your views.

The more independents in parliament the harder it is for the big parties to get away with their shit and the more they have to strike deals with our independents and pass things that are in favour of the people.

A hung parliament is made out to be bad, but it's only bad for the big parties, it's actually very good for us, the people of Australia.

pjennings

The only two politicians that I have never trusted from the beginning both lied (as all politicians do) - but these both lied even before they were elected. There are plenty I don't trust after they are elected!!

They both used sport, the church and the military (national security - a traditionally bi-partisan area) for their electoral purposes.

The first was John Howard. When he describes his background he tells how he was a studious child that through his own hard work made it into a selective school. That school was Canterbury Boy High School which he attended from 1952 - 1956 - before it became selective in 1958. He preached in Drummoyne Methodist Church while campaigning for the State seat of Drummoyne in 1969 telling the local paper the Five Dock Recorder that he often preached there. The elders at the Church were quite incensed since they had never seen him before (or since).

His claim to be a great cricket follower also needs to be looked at more closer. Howard was born in 1939. when he attended the cricket as the PM (something that Keating didn't do) he was asked by the commentators what was the first game he went to. It was the second Test against England in December 1946 where Barnes gave his wicket away on reaching 234 as he didn't want to surpass the Don. I remember my father talking about this game as he often took me to Test matches. When asked about his subsequent attendance he fudged and basically admitted he hadn't found time. So for 50 years between that 1946 Test and his first SCG test as PM he had not attended one match. Since then I would also suggest he has not paid entry for one match either.

His other claim to fame was that he was just a suburban solicitor and his father a good small business owner which inspired him. Most suburban solicitors don't have to appear before the High Court representing his father and grandfather battles against the ATO. They acted as 'dummies' for W. R. Carpenter and Company Ltd running a string of plantations in PNG. Maybe that is why John Howard wanted to look back to Gallipoli rather than Kokoda like Keating did. Let's not talk about PNG.

Interestingly it seems both Kingsford-Smith and Lyall Howard both seem to have been members of the fascist New Guard movement that took over the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Whether they were at Five Dock Hotel where it was planned is unclear.

Everyone knows about Scott Morrison and his use of his faith (there is a further story about his time as a youth elder in an Eastern Suburbs church) and his hiding behind his generals. But his daggy dad league loving person is designed to relate to the average person. Pity that he has stated (before being elected that he hates league - maybe that was to get his job at Tourism NZ). It was until he was campaigning for Cook that he discovered his 'beloved Sharkies'. That was well after the purported Engadine Maccas urban myth. He grew up in the Eastern Suburbs and was a regular at Woollahra Oval following rah-rah - not league!! That persona does not poll as well apparently.

Last edited:

style_cafe

The only two politicians that I have never trusted from the beginning both lied (as all politicians do) - but these both lied even before they were elected. There are plenty I don't trust after they are elected!!

They both used sport, the church and the military (national security - a traditionally bi-partisan area) for their electoral purposes.

The first was John Howard. When he describes his background he tells how he was a studious child that through his own hard work made it into a selective school. That school was Canterbury Boy High School which he attended from 1952 - 1956 - before it became selective in 1958. He preached in Drummoyne Methodist Church while campaigning for the State seat of Drummoyne in 1969 telling the local paper the Five Dock Recorder that he often preached there. The elders at the Church were quite incensed since they had never seen him before (or since).

His claim to be a great cricket follower also needs to be looked at more closer. Howard was born in 1939. when he attended the cricket as the PM (something that Keating didn't do) he was asked by the commentators what was the first game he went to. It was the second Test against England in December 1946 where Barnes gave his wicket away on reaching 234 as he didn't want to surpass the Don. I remember my father talking about this game as he often took me to Test matches. When asked about his subsequent attendance he fudged and basically admitted he hadn't found time. So for 50 years between that 1946 Test and his first SCG test as PM he had not attended one match. Since then I would also suggest he has not paid entry for one match either.

His other claim to fame was that he was just a suburban solicitor and his father a good small business owner which inspired him. Most suburban solicitors don't have to appear before the High Court representing his father and grandfather battles against the ATO. They acted as 'dummies' for W. R. Carpenter and Company Ltd running a string of plantations in PNG. Maybe that is why John Howard wanted to look back to Gallipoli rather than Kokoda like Keating did. Let's not talk about PNG.

Interestingly it seems both Bradman and Lyall Howard both seem to have been members of the fascist New Guard movement that took over the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. whether they were at Five Dock Hotel where it was planned is unclear.

Everyone knows about Scott Morrison and his use of his faith (there is a further story about his time as a youth elder in an Eastern Suburbs church) and his hiding behind his generals. But his daggy dad league loving person is designed to relate to the average person. Pity that he has stated (before being elected that he hates league - maybe that was to get his job at Tourism NZ). It was until he was campaigning for Cook that he discovered his 'beloved Sharkies'. That was well after the purported Engadine Maccas urban myth. He grew up in the Eastern Suburbs and was a regular at Woollahra Oval following rah-rah - not league!! That persona does not poll as well apparently.
Well said PJ but did you forget Howard also said "there would be no GST introduced under he a govenment he leads." That was just after he was elected leader of his party

dibo

Pauline Hanson stung by wasps. Notoriously venomous and aggressive, the former fish-and-chip shop owner is not thought to have caused serious injury and the wasps are expected to make a full recovery.

true believer

Interestingly it seems both Bradman and Lyall Howard both seem to have been members of the fascist New Guard movement that took over the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. whether they were at Five Dock Hotel where it was planned is unclear.
that low life c't general thomas Blamey ! was also a new guard . like menzies ,probably almost tipped australia into the imperial japanese hands . ended up a gutless toad for another fascist ,douglas macarthur.
the americans were smart enough to derail him to australia . giving admiral nimitz time to win the pacific war.

Last edited:

true believer

Pauline Hanson stung by wasps. Notoriously venomous and aggressive, the former fish-and-chip shop owner is not thought to have caused serious injury and the wasps are expected to make a full recovery.
Voted with the LNP more times than LNP senetors.
Voted against a federal ICAC.

Man Overboard

that low life c't general thomas Blamey ! was also a new guard . like menzies ,probably almost tipped australia into the imperial japanese hands . ended up a gutless toad for another fascist ,douglas macarthur.
the americans were smart enough to derail him to australia . giving admiral nimitz time to win the pacific war.
Blamey was certainly a scallywag- liked the booze and prostitutes [a bit of a handicap as a police commissioner]. But despite his foibles, he gets a thumbs up from a church-going, tea-total Stanley Savige as the best man for the job in ww2. 'Anzac Sniper ' by Roland Perry is Savige's biography-an amazing bloke who signed up for Gallipoli, then served in France and the middle east ww1. By the end of ww2 he was a Lieutenant General. Not bad for an uneducated boy who left school to help support his family, joined as a private and was sneered at by regular army officers for his lack of education. In contrast Blamey didnt care about education, and helped Savige because he got results in the field. I think he served in every campaign in both ww one and two. An interesting bio and I'd recommend it. But I think you are being a bit harsh on Blamey [he features quite a bit in the bio]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami