• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2022/2023

FFC Mariner

Are we devaluing Dan by wishing for a more "experienced" centre back? Whoever comes in will be well behind him in how we play and how we defend. IMO, he's spent well enough time in our system to be that guy. It's just a matter of if he elevates himself into that role. I'd actually be inclined to give him a crack at it and if it doesn't work we've got the Jan window to fix it
Agree. Good post

JoyfulPenguin

Are we devaluing Dan by wishing for a more "experienced" centre back? Whoever comes in will be well behind him in how we play and how we defend. IMO, he's spent well enough time in our system to be that guy. It's just a matter of if he elevates himself into that role. I'd actually be inclined to give him a crack at it and if it doesn't work we've got the Jan window to fix it
I don't think asking Dan to compete for his spot is devaluing Dan.

If Dan cannot successfully win a spot in our side on merit, especially against someone with a resume as underwhelming as Kelechi John, does he deserve an A-League starting spot?

All central defenders have started this season on an even keel it is Dan's spot to win or lose.

An experienced centre back would be a replacement for Kye or Tongyik anyway. Not a replacement for Dan.

If he is a player capable of pushing further in both the A-League and beyond he should have no problems displacing Kelechi John.

Last edited:

scottmac

Suspended
I don't think asking Dan to compete for his spot is devaluing Dan.

If Dan cannot successfully win a spot in our side on merit, especially against someone with a resume as underwhelming as Kelechi John, does he deserve an A-League starting spot?

All central defenders have started this season on an even keel it is Dan's spot to win or lose.

An experienced centre back would be a replacement for Kye or Tongyik anyway. Not a replacement for Dan.

If he is a player capable of pushing further in both the A-League and beyond he should have no problems displacing Kelechi John.
I'm not saying Dan doesn't have to compete for his spot. I'm saying that the Tongyik/Kye spot should be his to begin the season due to his superior knowledge of our system and his performance last year. I don't believe he has to win a spot. I believe he's already won it. If he can step into the lead role with Danny behind him (and what a f**king signing to make that happen) then he's the guy. Kye got that chance........

Last edited:

Coastalraider

Kelechi will surprise.

Dan has first dibs as his partner, and with Triantis and Windust in reserve we are fine.
We have a tonne of quality in the front 3rd as well, we will have one heck of an impactful bench late in games.

Our glaring issue right now is midfield. If nizz/Ballard get injured we are cooked. We have had issues transitioning from back third to front third with our current system, and losing one of these players will kill us,

our desperate need to take this squad to the next level is an experienced, quality box to box midfielder to manage the tempo and link our lines. Imagine a Milan Duric style player in this squad alongside Nizz, with Ballard/Steele off the bench.

Tevor

Kelechi will surprise.

Dan has first dibs as his partner, and with Triantis and Windust in reserve we are fine.
We have a tonne of quality in the front 3rd as well, we will have one heck of an impactful bench late in games.

Our glaring issue right now is midfield. If nizz/Ballard get injured we are cooked. We have had issues transitioning from back third to front third with our current system, and losing one of these players will kill us,

our desperate need to take this squad to the next level is an experienced, quality box to box midfielder to manage the tempo and link our lines. Imagine a Milan Duric style player in this squad alongside Nizz, with Ballard/Steele off the bench.
Spot on, no depth in midfield and I feel it will be similar to last year where we will be regularly dominated in the mids and keep giving away easy possession. Just like the Aust Cup game. Marco will be a huge loss up front, those who didn’t rate are about to find out how valuable he was to our young team.

scottmac

Suspended
Kelechi will surprise.

Yeah, I think that by giving Dan the chance to own the defensive line (which is a very Mariners thing to do) we have the ability and luxury to obtain a midfielder that owns the field between the two boxes and maybe has the skill to enter the final third.......
I'm thinking the type of player that frees Nisbet to roam and harass and spend time delivering and receiving balls to and from our amazing front third.

turbo

I don't believe he has to win a spot. I believe he's already won it.
I would have been more comfortable with that before his absolute stinker of a game against Sydney. Yes it's one game but if it turns into a patch for whatever reason we dont really have the depth to accommodate it.

Overall considering we have a new owner and supposedly more cash now I'm not terribly happy with the squad we've put together. If others maintain or strengthen we could easily find ourselves fighting in the bottom half of the table. That'll put a dent in the crowd KPI.

Michael

Zach Thomas' trial had ended:
I don’t think it was ever a chance of being signed tbh. I mean, when would he have played? I’ve seen him play abit over the last couple years. Not really a major stand out consistently in newy NPL. Pretty strange he was on trial.

Rising Sun

Overall considering we have a new owner and supposedly more cash now I'm not terribly happy with the squad we've put together. If others maintain or strengthen we could easily find ourselves fighting in the bottom half of the table. That'll put a dent in the crowd KPI.
Certainly doesn't feel like there has been any uplift in investment in the squad spend. I honestly thought we had the budget for the 2nd coming of Patty Z for the visa CB - somebody of real quality and experience.

Not saying I am unhappy with the squad - including Kerechi, plenty of exciting prospects and a coaching team that can get the best out of them. But it does feel like recruitment has been heavily weighted towards "transfer revenue" KPIs, and a missed opportunity to hit some footballing KPIs (such as being a genuine contender) and getting a more balanced squad by adding an experienced quality player (at CB or DM)

Drew

Certainly doesn't feel like there has been any uplift in investment in the squad spend. I honestly thought we had the budget for the 2nd coming of Patty Z for the visa CB - somebody of real quality and experience.

Not saying I am unhappy with the squad - including Kerechi, plenty of exciting prospects and a coaching team that can get the best out of them. But it does feel like recruitment has been heavily weighted towards "transfer revenue" KPIs, and a missed opportunity to hit some footballing KPIs (such as being a genuine contender) and getting a more balanced squad by adding an experienced quality player (at CB or DM)
I would say a fair chunk of that budget would have gone to vuka, but I agree we definitely still need experience, in particular in cm, can’t fully rely on niz Ballard Steele in midfield, because they’re young and still developing so they need an older head to help them, and also if one of them gets a long term injury then we’re almost stuffed,

Tevor

I would say a fair chunk of that budget would have gone to vuka, but I agree we definitely still need experience, in particular in cm, can’t fully rely on niz Ballard Steele in midfield, because they’re young and still developing so they need an older head to help them, and also if one of them gets a long term injury then we’re almost stuffed,
This is already a problem, Niz still not in full training and by accounts from the weekend Steele was in a leg brace. This area of the pitch definitely needs reinforcements and it is where matches are won and lost. A great front third is not as effective if they don't get good ball as we are all well aware. I like some feel a little worried with the current squad and the ins and outs this off season.

Michael

I worry about that 1 player with the creative edge to break open a tight game. Marco could be relied upon for that and big ask for someone to step up.
Also we lack depth at CM
You’re not wrong about the lack of a genuine creative player, our central midfield is more based around work rate and doing basics well.

but Marco was hardly a consistent source of creativity.

samster

I worry about that 1 player with the creative edge to break open a tight game. Marco could be relied upon for that and big ask for someone to step up.
Also we lack depth at CM

I am hoping Balard can step up, had some great games towards the end of last season where he played some great passes and was able to dribble past the midfield, just needs to make it more consistent

midfielder

DDS was our creative player and when he left Cy was the creative replacement ...

Nizzy stepped up to the plate but more as a running 8 not a creative 10....

The balancing for Monty is do I have 1 striker, two wide mids, a creative 10, and two running 8 ... with Balard dropping into more the 6 than 8 running.

Or play two strikers, with one playing as a false 9 to play the creative 10 role...

BTW the wide mids Paul & Nicko, can score, attack and create ..

Forum Phoenix

Also we lack depth at CM

My big fear too. a creative player that even when teams are aggressive, more confident or even outplaying us, still has the mentality and ability to defy them in the middle of the park and make things happen for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami