• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2022/2023

Forum Phoenix

On Danny,
Not been in form and has cost us, so I get it, but he also hasn’t turned into a shit keeper over night, has had significant pressure on him which explains his last performance, and if I had to bet I think it’s far more likely he returns to good form than continues to under perform.

Predict there will be some decent amounts of humble pie getting eaten round here.

Big Al

With Dan and Nectar as CBs with Kelechi & Windust as backup, it's very hard to see Kaltak getting a contract for January unless 1 of the others moves on, and on the form so far I doubt any of them will get any offers.

Beni seemed to have interest based on last seasons form, but that's dropped off massively and he hasn't looked the same player so far
Winddust is a long way off everyone else and the way monty was speaking on the pod I wouldn’t be to sure Moresche will be back this season

Meerkat

Alright last I’m going to say about Danny.

For a professional sportsperson of his quality and experience I struggle to believe it was just pressure that resulted in his shocking performance but ok. Happy to factor that in.

In regards to “stats don’t mean anything” and “first I have heard the stats mentioned until now” and “the stats just suggest he hasn’t had a lot to do”.., nobody really looks hard at stats until something comes under the spotlight, in which Danny just did, by way of glaring errors and underperforming . Stats are not everything, absolutely- but right now he is flat out the worst keeper in the league statistically and when we are losing games because of him, you can’t say they mean nothing. In terms of “he hasn’t had a lot to do” what the stats and lost games suggest is that when he is called to do something.. he can’t. Harsh, maybe but right now that’s where it’s at.

In regards to Birighitti comparisons, when the Scottish fans were calling for his blood on a stake a few games in, he still had the highest save % in the SPL. He may have made errors sure, but his workload was quintuple that of Vuka’s currently.

I don’t think I’m a bad person for calling it as it is at this point in time. However, can certainly admit I’m no expert and certainly not on Vuka himself. I would LOVE to be eating humble pie by the time we hit a few more games in, will serve it up myself with a lashing of cream. (And I’m vegan.)

So file thst away. Hoping for the best ?

marinermick

but right now he is flat out the worst keeper in the league statistically

Just to clarify, he is the lowest ranked in the league according to one statistic, which has not been published regularly in the past and it’s relevance to performance unclear, as shown by posters on this forum. It is clear that people have used this one statistic to support their narrative for the Langerak non selection and others have run with it.

You have then used this one statistic, which has an application vagueness, to categorically state that Danny is the worst keeper in the league statistically. Massive long bows to draw methinks.

Having your opinion that Danny is the worst keeper in the league is fine and this forum always encourages robust debate and diverse opinions in a respectful manner. However, using one stat as a basis of fact for something that is such a broad brushstroke (worst keeper) just doesn’t wash.

Meerkat

Just to clarify, he is the lowest ranked in the league according to one statistic, which has not been published regularly in the past and it’s relevance to performance unclear, as shown by posters on this forum. It is clear that people have used this one statistic to support their narrative for the Langerak non selection and others have run with it.

You have then used this one statistic, which has an application vagueness, to categorically state that Danny is the worst keeper in the league statistically. Massive long bows to draw methinks.

Having your opinion that Danny is the worst keeper in the league is fine and this forum always encourages robust debate and diverse opinions in a respectful manner. However, using one stat as a basis of fact for something that is such a broad brushstroke (worst keeper) just doesn’t wash.

Not sure where this “one statistic” comes from.. save % ? Goals conceded? Clean sheets? Crazily.. i would have thought all combined but fair enough if you think they are all irrelevant. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I and as I said.. very happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Ironbark

I've said it elsewhere so won't go on overly - Danny is an experienced and highly capable keeper who didn't have his best game and hasn't been exceptional in the first few games. Not objectively terrible though either, apart from that last game. Maybe it's adjusting, maybe it's age, maybe it's chance - time will tell.

Monty is going to give him a while longer and his history with us and his recent history with other clubs (including a WC call up) has surely bought him that grace.

Yes he is not performing the way we would like him to be. It's either a flash in the pan or an ongoing problem. Have to see a few more games to know.

I for one have the patience and willingness to give him the chance to see if he returns to form. But, and I imagine I'm not alone in this, if he costs us too many points over a period I will want to see Sozer given a crack.

Monty's the gaffer and will do what he thinks is best so happy to leave that call with him and go from there.

Allreet?

Have been away for a week so haven't (much) been part of the Vuka debate...

To be frank, he's not filled me with confidence this year the way Birraz did the last couple of seasons. And last weekend was a shambles - clearly at fault for the first; should've come for the second; out of position and no response for the third.

He is 37 (I think) and there comes a point where every keeper loses their reflexes. It can happen overnight, but from that point they're no chance at the top level. That split second that makes the difference is gone.

I seriously think it's gone, judging not only by his efforts but by his body language in the aftermath to each goal (yes, I'm an expert in that).

This is bad enough news for the Socceroos but far worse for the Mariners.

Of course you err on the side of past performance for a while but there comes a time when sheer, fish-eyed pragmatism has to prevail. Time to give Sozer a chance.

StensnessGOAT

With Dan and Nectar as CBs with Kelechi & Windust as backup, it's very hard to see Kaltak getting a contract for January unless 1 of the others moves on, and on the form so far I doubt any of them will get any offers.

Beni seemed to have interest based on last seasons form, but that's dropped off massively and he hasn't looked the same player so far
This is why the Kaltak signing seems so bizarre. We already had 4 centre backs in the squad who are arguably all better than Kaltak. At least three certainly are and the other is an academy kid that needs his opportunity to grow. I’d much rather see Windust given opportunity than play Kaltak. Don’t get why we wasted a visa spot on Kaltak with all that considered. Even weirder that he’s been playing ahead of Hall but especially Kelechi since at least there were questions on Hall’s fitness. Also trialled with us twice. Something else going on here? Something to do with our link to Vanuatu?

StensnessGOAT

Also you said it’s tough to see him getting a contract for January, but aren’t they all contracted until the end of the season, Kaltak included?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami