• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2022/2023

priorpeter

Can anyone explain if there is a material difference between being on a scholarship contract vs being on an NPL contract with the club?

And does anyone know who the current scholarship players are apart from the above 3 and Tapp?
Yes - $$$$$.
NPL contracts pretty much cover petrol money. Scholarships give minimum wage.

Kasalovic is another on scholar and is very much one to watch. Box to box midfielder, good feet, good in tight spaces.
Cresnar was on scholarship but was released a couple of weeks ago.
Dor Jok is currently on scholarship but may well be on the move this window ?
Cam Windust and James Bayliss are also on scholar deals.

marinermick

Yes - $$$$$.

Kasalovic is another on scholar and is very much one to watch. Box to box midfielder, good feet, good in tight spaces.

If we get any dollars for Jok that would be a super bonus

Rising Sun

Yes - $$$$$.

Thanks for that.

Also liked the fact that the club announced and celebrated the recent upgrades / extensions - hasn't always been the case

Michael

Yes - $$$$$.

That’s a shame Cresnar was released, NPL? Or another aleague side?
personally can’t wait to see Kasa break through. And Jok potentially leaving would make sense for Lachie Bayliss being promoted, hopefully included at some point too.

priorpeter

That’s a shame Cresnar was released, NPL? Or another aleague side?
personally can’t wait to see Kasa break through. And Jok potentially leaving would make sense for Lachie Bayliss being promoted, hopefully included at some point too.
Just not progressing as they’d hoped. He’d easily fit in at any NPL club, A-League may have been a bridge too far though. Great kid though and hope he does well.
TBH I’d have thought they’d offer Lachie B a 2 year scholarship, he’s a great prospect.

Michael

Just not progressing as they’d hoped. He’d easily fit in at any NPL club, A-League may have been a bridge too far though. Great kid though and hope he does well.
TBH I’d have thought they’d offer Lachie B a 2 year scholarship, he’s a great prospect.
I agree the scholar contract lengths are abit strange, especially for a prospect like Lachie. Perhaps a test to see how he handles full time training etc

Forum Phoenix

We’re so proactive now and with new domestic club transfers finally coming into effect - our business model got a lot more viable - not to mention fairer.

Good news for developing young Australian footballers. Though there’s still one club you’d really want to be at :pirashoot:

Big Dog

I agree the scholar contract lengths are abit strange, especially for a prospect like Lachie. Perhaps a test to see how he handles full time training etc

I can understand the logic behind 1yr. Its a massive jump from the NPL scholarship and gives the player some stability to focus on their football but its still a big jump to adapt to A-league levels. From a club perspective it gives them a chance to further assess their expectations of a players development in a more competitive environment. A 2yr scholarship on a player that is struggling to adapt means someone showing loads of potential coming through might miss out. The extension is a vote of confidence in your progress and fair imo

priorpeter

I can understand the logic behind 1yr. Its a massive jump from the NPL scholarship and gives the player some stability to focus on their football but its still a big jump to adapt to A-league levels. From a club perspective it gives them a chance to further assess their expectations of a players development in a more competitive environment. A 2yr scholarship on a player that is struggling to adapt means someone showing loads of potential coming through might miss out. The extension is a vote of confidence in your progress and fair imo
I’d have disagree. Scholarships have a review period (usually January of each year) where either party can terminate if things aren’t working out (ie if a player is struggling to adapt). Cresnar is an example of this.
Many of the kids that have been coming through the academy have been living year-to-year in terms of their footballing futures since they were 15/16, some even before that - I’d argue a 2 year scholar deal is a vote of confidence in their progress and fair, and provides the player with a bit more security. I’d be spewing to lose a prospect like Lachie Bayliss after just 1 year on scholarship because another club swooped in for him and we didn’t have him locked in - could’ve easily happened with Sash.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

I’d have disagree. Scholarships have a review period (usually January of each year) where either party can terminate if things aren’t working out (ie if a player is struggling to adapt). Cresnar is an example of this.
Many of the kids that have been coming through the academy have been living year-to-year in terms of their footballing futures since they were 15/16, some even before that - I’d argue a 2 year scholar deal is a vote of confidence in their progress and fair, and provides the player with a bit more security. I’d be spewing to lose a prospect like Lachie Bayliss after just 1 year on scholarship because another club swooped in for him and we didn’t have him locked in - could’ve easily happened with Sash.

And with the domestic transfers, tying down your young talent for two years adds extra security and value both ways. Hurts how many players we've developed, paying a price for their learning curve on the table as they get their experience, only to then lose them to another club during a coffee and a bagel.

I know some of this has been our own fault and or budget limitations, but no excuse not to be tying down any and all who show any promise for a couple of years now.

Coastalraider

Potentially players not willing to commit to 2 years at low wages? If I was a strong up and comer a one year deal might suit me, I back myself to improve, and the 1 year deal forces the team to upgrade to a full contract or else I am able to look elsewhere.

There’s always 2 parties at a contract negotiation.

I was actually surprised Sash was extended on scholarship- now getting regular first team minutes but not a first team contract..

Corsair

I was actually surprised Sash was extended on scholarship- now getting regular first team minutes but not a first team contract..
Bit early for a full I think, only played a few games and while he looks promising I don't think he's professional contract level just yet. Nothing to stop an upgrade before the scholarship runs out though if he continues to improve.

Michael

Potentially players not willing to commit to 2 years at low wages? If I was a strong up and comer a one year deal might suit me, I back myself to improve, and the 1 year deal forces the team to upgrade to a full contract or else I am able to look elsewhere.

Lachie Wales was still on a cheap youth contract when he broke through and started all those games for us. All he ever wanted was a 2 year deal at the time.

priorpeter

Not quite. Usually, scholarships have clauses that after X amount of appearances they will be automatically upgraded to a pro deal.
I was also a bit surprised at Sash not being upgraded. Perhaps Mont is just looking to keep him grounded. I have no doubt he’ll hit his upgrade trigger next season though.

Insertnamehere

Played his juniors as a winger, eventually transitioned to RB where he was excellent for academy. An attacking full-back is probably an apt description.
Mont did play him quite a bit as a 7 during pre-season and that’s where we’ve seen most of him so far in aliga.
Ta Pete

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami