• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

National Youth League Fixtures and Mariners youth team discussion

Rising Sun

Wonder when the club will bother to acknowledge the title win?
Making up a celebratory sudoku no doubt.
To be accurate your post should refer to titles (plural not singular) since we swept the board in the league one men's regular season - premiers in both grades (1st and 20s) and club championship winners.

At least it was mentioned on the match update tweets that we were premiers in 1st grade. Still a bit of a secret that the 20s wrapped up top spot last Tuesday

Rising Sun

Goodbye Andrew Christensen and thank you for everything you have done at the academy.

Punted yesterday because a certain player was deservedly hooked from a 20s game.
Christensen doesn't even coach the 20s, why would he be punted?

Regardless of this, and jumping to conclusions about who it might be (that was hooked) that's a big red flag for me if its the full and accurate reason

Big Dog

Interesting reasoning. It is odd to me though that both the Coach and Assistant coach are cut from the squad and not invited to participate in the finals. Surely that wouldn't be conducive to a healthy squad?

Rising Sun

This makes more sense than being fired for a substitution
I don't think it does. Christenson was presumably on a season-to-season arrangement so you would just replace him at the end of the season, not punt him on the eve of the finals.

At the end of the day, the Academy's primary objective is to produce players for the AL; winning games or comps is secondary to this. So the coach should be ready to take direction at times from the football brains trust - Ken, Monty, Serge and Luke - who may be looking at the bigger picture rather than winning the next game.

However, I was at the 20s game on Sunday and have seen most of their home games this season, and if it is the player that I am assuming it is (and there is a clear and obvious candidate), then there is no way that it was a pure footballing decision that he started the game (ahead of a better player on the bench).

Still, Sunday's game was a dead rubber, so if the instruction to pick him was on the basis of just giving the player a bit more experience at that level in a dead rubber game, before reverting to merit based selection for the finals, then maybe Christenson should have just sucked it up. But if the same player is picked to start next week in the finals then that would be a concern for a variety reasons, including whether Monty would then be similarly instructed to pick the same player in the A-League in a year or two, regardless of whether it was merited.

Ozhammer

There will obviously be two sides to this issue, so it is probably best to see what information comes out over the coming weeks but the truth is that were always likely to be a number of changes to come out of the new owner’s plans for the club, so this may not be the last of those.

style_cafe

I don't think it does. Christenson was presumably on a season-to-season arrangement so you would just replace him at the end of the season, not punt him on the eve of the finals.

At the end of the day, the Academy's primary objective is to produce players for the AL; winning games or comps is secondary to this. So the coach should be ready to take direction at times from the football brains trust - Ken, Monty, Serge and Luke - who may be looking at the bigger picture rather than winning the next game.

However, I was at the 20s game on Sunday and have seen most of their home games this season, and if it is the player that I am assuming it is (and there is a clear and obvious candidate), then there is no way that it was a pure footballing decision that he started the game (ahead of a better player on the bench).

Still, Sunday's game was a dead rubber, so if the instruction to pick him was on the basis of just giving the player a bit more experience at that level in a dead rubber game, before reverting to merit based selection for the finals, then maybe Christenson should have just sucked it up. But if the same player is picked to start next week in the finals then that would be a concern for a variety reasons, including whether Monty would then be similarly instructed to pick the same player in the A-League in a year or two, regardless of whether it was merited.
Is that nepotism i can smell?... :popcorn:

priorpeter

If Christenson had another job lined up, walking him is fairly normal
Walking him on the eve of finals is not.
New gig had been lined up for a couple of months, since he was told his services would not be required next season. For a club that prides itself on promoting and developing young talent, punting the Academy coach - himself a young coach on the rise, who has just won you a premiership - is a pretty shit call tbh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred