• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R3 CCM v ZADS PERF LADS ,,,,,,,,,, don't stuff it up

style_cafe

For me Max is a good solid player. But in arguably the most important position on the pitch, I think we need more than a good solid player. We need a game changer, we’ve been spoiled in the past with the likes of Stens, Monty, Rostyn and Jedi and that’s what we need now. Hopefully he becomes that player for us, he shows glimpses and he works hard, but right now, he’s not there.
I`ve read and re-read your post quite a few times and must thankyou for it.
You say we need a game changer and the more I think about it the more it makes sense,
However,I don`t think it`s the type of player you allude to. (I haven`t coached now for over 20yrs so I stand to be corrected.)
The player or players I feel we need to change games for us are the creative midfielders.
Looking at teams like Macarthur (De Silva and Davilla) , Sydney FC (Caceras and Brattan) ,Victory (Nani and Brillante), Malbourne City (O`Neil and Berenguer).
We seem to lack that type of player.
The player that can open defences with a precision pass to feet or the one that bends around the defender for a speedy forward alah our game v Wellington.
The player that attacks the space behind defenders with a penetrating pass.
For mine that`s what I think we lack unless Tulio is that type of player.
He had a decent cameo even though it was under the pressure of trying to win us the game.
Thoughts anyone?... :popcorn:

ryan

You say we need a game changer and the more I think about it the more it makes sense,
However,I don`t think it`s the type of player you allude to. (I haven`t coached now for over 20yrs so I stand to be corrected.)
The player or players I feel we need to change games for us are the creative midfielders.
Looking at teams like Macarthur (De Silva and Davilla) , Sydney FC (Caceras and Brattan) ,Victory (Nani and Brillante), Malbourne City (O`Neil and Berenguer).
The player that can open defences with a precision pass to feet or the one that bends around the defender for a speedy forward alah our game v Wellington.
He had a decent cameo even though it was under the pressure of trying to win us the game.
Tulio is supposed to be that player isn't he? I think we lack a Jedinak/Stensness/Griffiths type.

Corsair

That's Niz but he needs another like him of the vein you've suggested, or a beast like Stens. I think Max is the middle ground. You can't fault his work rate or effort but he's not setting the world on fire or a big physically dominating presence. Good player, not great player. You can't have everyone on the squad be amazing but those 2 core positions are very important. He's actually reminding me more of bozanic than anyone as he develops.

marinermick

Tulio is supposed to be that player isn't he? I think we lack a Jedinak/Stensness/Griffiths type.

They are defensive midfielders. We don’t play DMs. The modern game has moved on from DMs.

Those three players would now be a liability in the A-League.

Yorkshire Mariners FC

They are defensive midfielders. We don’t play DMs. The modern game has moved on from DMs.

Those three players would now be a liability in the A-League.
I disagree completely.
1st Jedi was a DM but also a quarterback type play who could move the ball long and wide (like Monty) but he could also score the odd goal.
The reason I was never a big Stens fan was his complete lack of passing (which is why Ballard frustrates me too).
Griffiths controlled that area in front of the defence.
Both games this season we have lost the midfield battle. Niz needs more time to get back up to form, or a change of position.
There is talk of the position being dead and needing box to box players. These two players are the worst players in our team to get the ball half cleared from the opposition at the top of the box because Niz refuses to even entertain the idea of shooting (he had 2 clear opportunities to do so last week) and Max either delicately places the ball into the keepers arms or is more likely to hit the corner post (hyperbole).
Hall sadly looks a shell of himself from what we have seen, so I'm in no hurry to see him included until his confidence is back.
I don't want to sound too negative because we have attacking talent. But to play with no ball under utilises this strength.
Do we need a midfield diamond instead of 2 DMs, solidifying the space in front of the centre halves and having an extra creative player in the middle (Niz, tulio or silvera) as a 10?
Do we play Cummings in the mcBreen style 10 role with koul running off him? Cummins can then also get the ball out wide and still be central running into the box.
Faz copped a lot of flack last game as he was out main source of attack. If this is a plan, could we try a back 3 (we still have good options for CB) with faz/storm free to roam more?
With the personnel we have I think there are many opportunities for different tactics and tactical changes within games. I guess I just want to see something tried.
Thoughts?

Wombat

I couldn't do that to Tony. He was always a very decent bloke to me. As a manager though ...
Walmsley was a salesman supreme in the same mould as Mulvey. I feel a bit bad coz he was in for a massage one time and i told the therapist to tell him to sign Heffernan who was scoring goals for fun in the VPL. Tony is an absolutely lovely bloke and said he would. Next minute Heff turned out to be a dud.
I always felt bad about that.......the only thing that made me feel ok was we had 6 or 7 worse duds already.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred