• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Socceroos thread.

Tevor

That’s well and good but people are bleating on how Cumdog should be picked ahead of him as our main striker. McLaren has eight goals in the last six games and Cumming two in five.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Duke ahead of PenClaren as he also offers more, PenClaren would be my last choice at this WC. Guess we will see what Arnie decides and who takes their chances when they get them. Tilio gifted about three pens to him so far this season, so Tilio does the run that gets PenClaren rewarded and Tilio doesn’t make the plane. That’s why I don’t rate him.

marinermick

All the arguments I hear for Cumdog is as a creative number ten not a striker. Reasons such bringing people into the game, giving assists etc. No point having this if you don’t have someone who doesn’t score goals.

The position in question is a number nine, not a seven, eight, nine or ten.

marinermick

Now he's going to the WC and he'll need to be a completely different player to get goals. That's why everyone is bleating about it. He'll need to drop, hold the ball up, bring wingers into play, play neat one twos, make runs from the shoulder to get in behind, you know everything other than standing on the edge of the 6yrd box and receiving chances.

This is not how a modern number nine plays and certainly not how Arnie uses a nine. The old school Viduka of dropping back to receive the ball with your back to play went more than a decade ago.

And if you think McLaren just stands around in the box waiting for the ball then you haven’t watched him play. It takes an incredible amount of skill and anticipation to find space in the box as a professional in the A-League. McLaren is never static and he can finish with both feet. Something Cummings is struggling to emulate.

JoyfulPenguin

All the arguments I hear for Cumdog is as a creative number ten not a striker. Reasons such bringing people into the game, giving assists etc. No point having this if you don’t have someone who doesn’t score goals.

I think your discounting that a modern number nine does far more than just score goals. Especially in teams that aren't capable of dominating games like the Socceroos.

Maclaren is a great goal scorer but if you look at the goals he is involved in at any point for Melbourne City, he is always the last player involved.

When we won't completely dominate a game we need a player capable of offering dynamism and bringing other players into a game. Maclaren is completely incapable of that, which if you watch Melbourne City, any forward thrust that relies on him doing anything other than shooting results in dispossession or endless recycling of the ball.

We can't afford to lose the few attacking opportunities we will get at the World Cup simply because Maclaren was put in the position of creator rather than point man, which will inevitably happen when he is asked to hold up the ball.

Big Al

I better not be picking my striker because he gives me assists unless they come with goals as well.

Cummings doesn’t have a right foot at all.

He will absolutely bring something to the Socceroos but service is Maclearns biggest issue at national level because the defence is better and the service isn’t good enough to utilise him.

I love the names and it’s funny and i was extend McTapp to McTappin as per McLovin. but really you don’t want your striker having to score outside the box which ours tend to do. It’s nice to have in your arsenal.

McTappin certainly positions himself really well to be in the right spot all the time.

Id like to see him and Cummings get some time together

marinermick

I think your discounting that a modern number nine does far more than just score goals. Especially in teams that aren't capable of dominating games like the Socceroos.

Maclaren is a great goal scorer but if you look at the goals he is involved in at any point for Melbourne City, he is always the last player involved.

When we won't completely dominate a game we need a player capable of offering dynamism and bringing other players into a game. Maclaren is completely incapable of that, which if you watch Melbourne City, any forward thrust that relies on him doing anything other than shooting results in dispossession or endless recycling of the ball.

We can't afford to lose the few attacking opportunities we will get at the World Cup simply because Maclaren was put in the position of creator rather than point man, which will inevitably happen when he is asked to hold up the ball.

We have to disagree about this. He does a hell of a lot more than stand statically in the box and pops in tap ins.

Either way we are f**ked because no one in the squad is good enough to compete successfully at a WC, but to replace someone who is your most prolific scorer in the team with someone who has nice tattoos and people love his personality, is just nuts.

marinermick

I better not be picking my striker because he gives me assists unless they come with goals as well.

Cummings doesn’t have a right foot at all.

He will absolutely bring something to the Socceroos but service is Maclearns biggest issue at national level because the defence is better and the service isn’t good enough to utilise him.

I love the names and it’s funny and i was extend McTapp to McTappin as per McLovin. but really you don’t want your striker having to score outside the box which ours tend to do. It’s nice to have in your arsenal.

McTappin certainly positions himself really well to be in the right spot all the time.

Id like to see him and Cummings get some time together

This is something I can get behind, having the discussion about Cummings potential as a high ten sitting behind another striker.

turbo

We have to disagree about this. He does a hell of a lot more than stand statically in the box and pops in tap ins.
I don’t think that’s what JP is saying and it’s not what I was saying either. Obviously he is very good at what he does. It’s just about the cattle at our disposal and finding a combination that works. Maclaren shines against teams who try to park the bus against us, he can work in the areas he wants to be in. Takes a decent penalty too. Against better teams he disappears entirely and an assist is better than invisible in my books.

It’s nothing to do with Cummings personality or other nonsense you mentioned, it’s about his ability to get involved in the game when our backs are against the wall and there’s no question that he does that better.

Big Al

This is something I can get behind, having the discussion about Cummings potential as a high ten sitting behind another striker.
Rogic was always a shoot first from distance player and Hrutic is more a wide winger crossing type. Cummings can play the wingers into better areas (like Koul at CCM) and then Maclaren can slot the goal from the winger’s pass

style_cafe

I`d really like to see Cummings working on his skills to beat a player.
When he can get a snap shot in he`s pretty good.
However,too many times we him trying to set for a shot or fumbling with his right foot which results in him loosing the ball.

StensnessGOAT

I don't think so mate. It's not that clear cut. The Australian national team is playing France and Denmark. We are not playing Western United and fkn Newcastle Jets. It's not gonna be easy, we're not gonna create a lot of great chances by waltzing the ball into the box with beautiful passing play like they do at Melbourne City or even what we have been doing lately. All of our squad will be playing opposition above their level. No one is good enough to do that against national teams like France and Denmark except Garang, but Garang might not (probably not?) even be at that level yet given his age and experience and the difference in class between France and the A-League and the fact Barca was a meaningless friendly. We're not gonna score many goals, we're gonna be gunning for maximum 1 goal draws against France and Denmark realistically. Cummings offers way more than Maclaren with his set up play and helping create chances, and we're gonna need all the help we can get to even create genuine chances against teams like that, let alone worrying about taking them. Can't take them without making them.

It's not like Cummings isn't a class finisher either. Maybe not as good as Maclaren, but if not he's still pretty darn good and not far off. But there is definite logic in the idea that we most probably make one or two genuine chances in the match and we need all the help to do that, and Cummings' attacking set up play is strong. Whether he scores the goal of Hrustic or Boyle (or Maclaren) or whoever scores it doesn't matter, they need to work hard together to create any chances for someone to score it. No good having Maclaren there to finish if we aren't generating real chances. And if it's a real chance, then Hrustic, Boyle or Cummings should be then finishing it anyway.

Ozhammer

It feels like Cummings was almost trying too hard in games recently, which is understandable given the WC carrot that’s been dangling in front of him. Hopefully he comes back from Qatar full of belief and can get back to doing what he does best for us.

Last edited:

Tevor

It feels like Cummings has almost trying too hard in games recently, which is understandable given the WC carrot that’s been dangling in front of him. Hopefully he comes back from Qatar full of belief and can get back to doing what he does best for us.
Agree the last two games he has put a lot of pressure on himself. WC campaigns can have differing effects on players when they come back to club land. Some have hang overs others are on cloud 9. Hope he comes back on cloud 9 for our sake.

scottmac

Suspended
This is not how a modern number nine plays and certainly not how Arnie uses a nine. The old school Viduka of dropping back to receive the ball with your back to play went more than a decade ago.

And if you think McLaren just stands around in the box waiting for the ball then you haven’t watched him play. It takes an incredible amount of skill and anticipation to find space in the box as a professional in the A-League. McLaren is never static and he can finish with both feet. Something Cummings is struggling to emulate.
I definitely don't think he stands around tapping then in and it is probably more my want for the team to have someone that can do what both he and Cummings can do but alas
However this is a good discussion topic. Cummings has the work rate to play there I think ?

booney

Certainly this season I have noticed J Mac to be more involved in lead up play rather than waiting for the penalty box crumbs.He ,Leckie and Tilio have combined well on many occasions resulting in goals or near misses.

scottmac

Suspended
Imagine people offering consideration to a legend of the club
Does that mean legends of the club are above criticism? No denying he owns his place in our history but there's also no denying he's not the keeper he was just 2 seasons ago. No where near and also no where near what anyone thought we were getting. He got his consideration when no one barked up at signing a keeper that played only 4 cup games last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred