• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Socceroos thread.

Big Al

Looks like Arnie was playing it smart all along.
Japan scored Spain and Germany.
Much easier draw for us coming through the qualifying tournament as warm up games and Arnie will be deemed a hero for the miraculous recovery. Arnie is a step ahead.

pjennings

Let's assume for chuckles that we actually make Qatar. Let's also assume no long term injuries/illnesses with the exception of Souttar who is only due back in the weeks before

Who would be in your squad? What formation would you play? What would be your preferred staring XI?

booney

Sorry hit wrong button.
LB : King,Behich
CB : Sains,Degenek,Rowles,Stens
DM: Luongo,Mooy
AM: Rogic,Genreau,Hrustic
RW: Boyle,Tilio
LW: Mabil,Goodwin
CF: MacLaren,Cummings,D'Agostino,Duke

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Starting XI

Ryan

Atkinson Sains Degenek King

Mooy Luongo

Boyle Rogic Goodwin

Cummings

pjennings

I have gone reasonably similar

Nominally 4-3-3

GK : Ryan,Vukovic,Birraz
RB : Karacic,Atkinson
LB : Behich, Davidson
CB : Sains,Degenek,Rowles,Stens

Central midfielders - noting that Sainbsury and Stens can cover if needed as a DM

Luongo, Mooy, Nisbet, Rogic,

Wide midfielders / attackers - noting that Nizz can RM if required

Goodwin, Boyle, Tilio, Hrustic

Central Attackers - noting Duke can play LW if needed

Cummings, Fornaroli, Kuol, Duke,

Some notes

• Ideally I would convince Langerak back.
  • I thought seriously about Judas Holland but couldn't do it.
  • I don't rate Hrustic in the middle but he does have a deadly free kick so would probably put him wide.
  • I don't rate Maclaren unless we control the midfield so he misses out.
  • I do rate Daggers but put Alou in front of him for his ability to create something out of nothing. We need a striker that is different when we are chasing the game.
  • I rate Nizz highly

Starting XI

Ryan

Karacic Sains Degenek Behich

----------Luongo----------

---Rogic-----------Mooy----

Boyle----Cummings----Duke

I would be tempted to start Nizz in front of Mooy since I'm not sure see Mooy as a 90 min player still. Mooy would then come on for Rogic to retain position or we needed to control the game better or otherwise for Nizz

Last edited:

booney

It's a pity we can't play a couple of friendlies before the playoffs. Players like King,Luongo,Cummings and yes indeed Nizzie could be given game time to see if they could meld into the team.

Man Overboard

I am appalled by Qatar hosting the Cup. Its not just the bribery to secure it, the failure to provide the airconditioned stadia that were part of the bid, the disgusting human rights record, the anti-semitism, the misogyny [remember the Australian women cavity searched at the airport], or the fundamentalist islamic fascism that permeates this nation. The latest is the 6500 deaths by migrant construction workers, and the bizarre response by Infantino. It will make no difference to anyone but me, but I refuse to watch any of the games and will be notifying the broadcaster and FIFA exactly why that is.

marinermick

I am appalled by Qatar hosting the Cup. Its not just the bribery to secure it, the failure to provide the airconditioned stadia that were part of the bid, the disgusting human rights record, the anti-semitism, the misogyny [remember the Australian women cavity searched at the airport], or the fundamentalist islamic fascism that permeates this nation. The latest is the 6500 deaths by migrant construction workers, and the bizarre response by Infantino. It will make no difference to anyone but me, but I refuse to watch any of the games and will be notifying the broadcaster and FIFA exactly why that is.

I agree with everything you have posted. Fortunately I will have no interest with Italy out and Australia likely to follow.

booney

Every point you make is valid and in today's Herald Peter FitzSimons says the same thing,especially highlighting Infantino's ludicrous response.

FIFA is a corrupt organisation ,all about money and power.There are good football people who work for it, particularly those who provide technical football expertise to the organisation and member federations but the upper echelons of FIFA are on the nose.

However to be honest if the Socceroos do qualify I won't be able to resist watching their games. I will assuage my conscience by thinking about other major sporting events held in nations with poor human rights records-2018 WC Russia,2008 Olympics Beijing,1978 WC Argentina,1936 Olympics Berlin - which did attract criticism but these criticisms were mostly ignored by the world's populace.

Man Overboard

I also read Fitzys piece and it finally triggered me to say something.
Yes, its easier to be outraged when we don't have skin in the game, and yes we have not always responded appropriately in the past, but we should not underestimate the power of bad publicity. I am old enough to remember the ban on South African [Apartheid] sport, and although it took economic sanctions to really make a difference, the boycott helped highlight the problem. Its a pity that the proposed Qatar boycott [I think England proposed one shortly after the rigged vote] did not gain traction. I'm a great believer in the expression that 'Evil flourishes when good men do nothing'. I am pleasantly surprised by the wests belated support for Ukraine.
On another note, if there are 6500 deaths, there are probably an additional 15k+ injuries that have not been mentioned. Not all workplace injuries are deaths just as all battle casualties are not deaths- there are usually around two to three times as many wounded as killed in battle. I know that the comparisons are not ideal, but lacking any other info, its the best I can come up with.
BTW I DID contact the Minister for Sport [Kate Ellis] prior to the 2008 Peking games protesting our participation in a propaganda coup for a totalitarian police state with a shocking human rights record. The response? Something along the lines that we can better influence Communist China by engaging them. Well, THAT hasnt worked out real well.

Insertnamehere

Money talks to FIFA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami