• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Socceroos thread.

scottmac

Suspended
Wife this morning, when is the World Cup starting. Then who is our striker?
Told her it’s Maclaren and what he’s being called and why.

Her very simple response - That sounds like that will come in handy.

Sometimes we complicate the simplicity of sport.

At the end of the day he has more goals than anyone else. End of

@marinermick thought you might like that
He has more goals in the A-League but at national level he's got just as many as the rest of the squad. Souttar scores at a better rate than he does.

Big Al

He has more goals in the A-League but at national level he's got just as many as the rest of the squad. Souttar scores at a better rate than he does.
If go back over the last 10yrs alot of our goals have come from headers to cahill or Jesus (his name escapes me at the momen)

we don’t have an aerial threat anymore.

I actually think Alou would suit the NT with his athleticism but he simply hasn’t been playing to even get close to a mention but if Stuggart can teach him some things I think he’d be great at a national level

StensnessGOAT

Exactly no one is better than him so he’s the most likely.

Service at National level has been atrocious at best
I still would argue he isn’t the most likely because he’s playing an entire different game to what he’s playing in the A-League pretty much.

Forum Phoenix

Honestly, it depends on the opposition and how the game is flowing. To have any chance in these games we have to be highly proactive in executing our strategies, strategies that are in direct response to the playing style and key talent of the teams that we will be playing against. No such thing as just trying to play our own game at this level.

That in mind, each of our strikers have different values. Such as Duke is clearly the best if we need someone holding up the ball, combativeness or aerial threat. McClaren if they’re playing a high line, or we’re routinely getting in behind or into the opponents box (all less likely). But if so, no better striker at our disposal.

Cummings… well, people are saying he’s the most complete, I get the sentiment, But I think a more accurate way to say it is that he has a broader range of actual striking ability and is a better creator than Duke or McClaren.

For mine, based on WC history, and the opportunities we are more or less likely to get, his ability to score from outside the box could be very important, But… so might Dukes head, or McClaren's positioning and finishing in the one scrap we happen to get.

Easy to see how they all have value.

But I do love Jason. And would start him, And a big part of wanting him starting for me, is like Timmy, I think he’s a true big game player. Unbowed. Uncowed. And always capable… hard to go past… unless the tactics require other though, eh ?

Last edited:

Big Al

Honestly, it depends on the opposition and how the game is flowing. To have any chance in these games we have to be highly proactive in executing our strategies, strategies that are in direct response to the playing style and key talent of the teams that we will be playing against. No such thing as just trying to play our own game at this level.

That in mind, each of our strikers have different values. Such as Duke is clearly the best if we need someone holding up the ball, combativeness or aerial threat. iMcClaren if they’re playing a high line, or we’re routinely getting in behind or into the opponents box (all less likely). But if so, no better striker at our disposal.

Cummings… well, people are saying he’s the most complete, I get the sentiment, But I think a more accurate way to say it is that he has a broader range of actual striking ability and is a better creator than Duke or McClaren.

For mine, based on WC history, and the opportunities we are more or less likely to get, his ability to score from outside the box could be very important, But… so might Dukes head, or McClarens positioning and finishing in the one scrap we happen to get.

Easy to see how they all have value.

But I do love Jason. Snd would start him, And a big part of wanting him starting for me, is like Timmy, I think he’s a true big game player. Unbowed. Uncowed. And always capable… hard to go past… unless the tactics require other though, eh ?
My concern is he usually butchers the first two chances and you might not get that many chances.

Forum Phoenix

We’ve also on numerous occasions seen him get one small window, find space and hit beautiful bending shots that hit the woodwork or only just miss. And others, we’ve seen him score. But what he does rarely, and this is no small deal, is miss badly. Typically very close to a high quality strike most times he strikes the ball. Which from outside the box, at match speed, under pressure... means you’re incredibly skilled.

Last edited:

StensnessGOAT

To have any chance in these games we have to be highly proactive in executing our strategies, strategies that are in direct response to the playing style and key talent of the teams that we will be playing against. No such thing as just trying to play our own game at this level
Exactly, and that’s why it’s too simplistic to just be like “MacLaren has the most goals in the A-League and scoring tap ins sounds like it would be a good thing”. For us to create chances and come up with goals, we need to be very strategic. It’s gonna require high class strategic build up play to create maybe the one real chance we will get in a game. We have to be strategic as fark about this, not simplistic like some people have suggested.

StensnessGOAT

Apparently only two Australian strikers have ever scored in a World Cup. This isn’t simple at all lol.

Theres a chance there is still only 2 Australian strikers to score at a World Cup after this tournament. There’s a real chance we score zero goals as a team. We need to win on strategy, not just on talent because we won’t.

Big Al

Apparently only two Australian strikers have ever scored in a World Cup. This isn’t simple at all lol.

Theres a chance there is still only 2 Australian strikers to score at a World Cup after this tournament. There’s a real chance we score zero goals as a team. We need to win on strategy, not just on talent because we won’t.
If they play like they qualified that’s a real possibility

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So, why do all the comps shut down during the cup , when , for the most part , they have giant squads and could keep going, blooding youngun's while the "superstars " are offski

Tevor

So, why do all the comps shut down during the cup , when , for the most part , they have giant squads and could keep going, blooding youngun's while the "superstars " are offski
I have a feeling it's FIFA wanting the WC to be the only football option and to maximise viewership because that is where all the $$$ come from, I believe it is only for the group stage and maybe final 16 not the whole tournament. The real issue for this WC is being in Qatar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb