• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2020/21 Other A-League Games

Tevor

well, after the blatant coathanger yesterday, it's nice to see that neither the refereeing nor VAR has improved.
Yeah but the Retre one was correct. After our game all Ref's seem to have lost a lot of confidence and I feel the VAR will be useless as they seem very cautious however the coathanger was disgraceful and Milligan looking old and frustrated this year.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Yeah but the Retre one was correct. After our game all Ref's seem to have lost a lot of confidence and I feel the VAR will be useless as they seem very cautious however the coathanger was disgraceful and Milligan looking old and frustrated this year.
Yeah, true.

I think the introduction of VAR in general has prevented referees from actually refereeing the damn game.

Look at Retre - even if VAR actually operated correctly (which it isn't here), imagine if that one wasn't given as a red - while I think red was correct, if it was given as a yellow you wouldn't have been surprised so I don't think a VAR would have overturned it as 'clear and obvious' - which is why it's so important for referees to get it right on-field.

Go back to the coathanger - and let's remember that by the laws, off-the-ball contact to the head/neck is a MANDATORY red - so I'd say this non-decision is even worse than anything that happened in our game.

I look at this as an ex-ref assessor - how would you expect this to be dealt with live?

1) While it wasn't in the view the ref focusses on (just because something happens in your field of view, it doesn't mean you've spotted it clearly), I would have thought King would have had a good enough view of this. IMO he was out of position a bit here - chasing this attack he should have veered left rather than run down the centre, but I find that there are a lot of bad positioning habits at this level that cause a lot of problems and lot of missed decisions

2) Near AR - focusing so hard on monitoring the offside line, may have seen it, may have just had a vague awareness of something happening in the corner of their eye.

3) Far AR has the job of constantly scanning the field - they need to glance away to their offside line, but they are also checking the whole field.

4) 4th official - also has the job of constantly scanning the field when they're not managing the benches. They can absolutely raise serious offences to the ref.

On-field, even without wireless comms, refs and ARs use glances at each other to get an indication of whether they're asking for help - you can tell a lot about whether an official has seen an incident and may be asking if you're seen it just from how they glance across the field at you.

With comms, this isn't even necessary - but it just looks to me like the teamwork is nonexistent with VAR. the VAR seems to have removed the responsibility of the other officials to be supporting the referee with stuff like this, which I don't believe was ever supposed to occur.

It means that we have gone from 4 officials having responsibility over an incident, to 2, when VAR should really have meant 5 officials are sharing responsibility.

Melange

Anyone catch the Mel City A Coach interview after the game? went something like... Yeah we were trying to stretch their back three as much as possible so we could exploit their weakness, especially Ziggy Gordon!

turbo

Anyone catch the Mel City A Coach interview after the game? went something like... Yeah we were trying to stretch their back three as much as possible so we could exploit their weakness, especially Ziggy Gordon!
As much as I don’t mind piling on the snake McGowan has been far worse. Look at the goal when Baccus handed it over, he gets caught ball watching and that should be his man.

Melange

As much as I don’t mind piling on the snake McGowan has been far worse. Look at the goal when Baccus handed it over, he gets caught ball watching and that should be his man.
For his heart, effort and enthusiasm I was glad to keep Ziggy, for his skills he was ok at A-league level.

It was his comments after he left that annoyed me.

While not looking to really pile on, as much as anything I found it surprising an opposition coach called out an individual in that way.

Big Al

Didn’t have the sound on but that’s very unusual but massively true.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So the fire chickens and Glory had a few Wolves banners up at the ground ...did Wolves play Manly as the opener for the game ?....if so , what a great idea , should be more of it

Huddo

Bobo avoided sanction for kicking out at elsey, blokes is protected, reminds me of when Joel Griffiths wanting to fondle the linemans balls and getting away with it.

Last edited:

Insertnamehere

turbo

Anyone heard what happened to the victory cap’n for grabbing the refs hand/red card etc ? .....gotta be longer than Vukovics ban don’t it
The match review committee was looking at it, I don’t recall seeing an outcome yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami