• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League Transfers and Rumours

Tevor

1 twitter rant from an upset fan account.They are a Trainwreck but they will fix that - getting rid of their dud coach will help
They aren't going anywhere
Agree they will not fold, their roster must be so expensive and is full of duds like Giannou and Juric. Both have been massive failures and should have done better with DDS and DeVila feeding them. Noone was played out of his normal position so wasn’t as effective. That’s on Milicic. They need to do a lot work to get the community behind them now, such a waste of two years.

LG__

Old Mate Danny Townsend has said that the APL will assist clubs in paying the wages of marquee players again. I couldn’t be any more against this, we all know what clubs will benefit from it, and thus creates a completely uneven playing field. I’m not one that likes to compare the A League to other competitions, but a supposed “neutral” governing body giving the big clubs a even bigger hand up than they already surely brings the integrity of the league into question if it wasn’t already.

Tevor

Old Mate Danny Townsend has said that the APL will assist clubs in paying the wages of marquee players again. I couldn’t be any more against this, we all know what clubs will benefit from it, and thus creates a completely uneven playing field. I’m not one that likes to compare the A League to other competitions, but a supposed “neutral” governing body giving the big clubs a even bigger hand up than they already surely brings the integrity of the league into question if it wasn’t already.
100% and I don't think it adds to the League much at all. If this is all the APL have as a plan to get more bums on seats it just adds more ammunition that confirms they are clueless. No wonder Peil has a three year option, a smart bloke that has reservations the APL can fix the league as well.

turbo

Like it or not big names do get attention and put bums on seats. From a marketing point of view it's a solid strategy to help turn things around at a time it's very much needed. The obvious problem is it gives the richest clubs in the comp an additional leg up which really sucks because there's no way Zlatan is going to end up in Brisbane, Adelaide, Wellington or Gosford - it'll be Sydney, WSW, City or Victory. The reasoning will make sense again from a marketing perspective - it's easier to get a bigger return in bigger markets - unfortunately it's at odds with everything fair.

My #1 tip for a marquee destination is WSW. They should have marquee slots open, visa slots open and the APL will be very keen to see WSW get back to big crowds and finals.

pjennings

Like it or not big names do get attention and put bums on seats. From a marketing point of view it's a solid strategy to help turn things around at a time it's very much needed. The obvious problem is it gives the richest clubs in the comp an additional leg up which really sucks because there's no way Zlatan is going to end up in Brisbane, Adelaide, Wellington or Gosford - it'll be Sydney, WSW, City or Victory. The reasoning will make sense again from a marketing perspective - it's easier to get a bigger return in bigger markets - unfortunately it's at odds with everything fair.

My #1 tip for a marquee destination is WSW. They should have marquee slots open, visa slots open and the APL will be very keen to see WSW get back to big crowds and finals.
TBH ADP did make a discernible difference to the SFC crowds - that stayed for quite a few seasons. However, unless the marquee is large enough and/or there is a real connection (ADP with the Sydney Italian community) and a long term commitment then it is unlikely to work. Sturridge, Ono, Romario, Heskey, Cahill and Villa all failed to make any long term difference.

So that means you have to have big names for a long term to make any difference. Can't see us being in for anyone high enough profile for anything more than a guest stint.

turbo

TBH ADP did make a discernible difference to the SFC crowds - that stayed for quite a few seasons. However, unless the marquee is large enough and/or there is a real connection (ADP with the Sydney Italian community) and a long term commitment then it is unlikely to work. Sturridge, Ono, Romario, Heskey, Cahill and Villa all failed to make any long term difference.

So that means you have to have big names for a long term to make any difference. Can't see us being in for anyone high enough profile for anything more than a guest stint.
I don’t think marquees are the long term answer but they could help jump start things again by bringing eyes back to the league after a rough couple of years. There’s a bit to be optimistic about:
  • The product on the pitch isn’t bad at all
  • Next season visa players should be easier to get in without quarantine
  • Getting back to a normal schedule & travel (provided super covid 19 plus doesn’t emerge)
  • Sydney going home
  • New owners for a few clubs
  • Paramount supposedly rolling out their improvements
  • I’d expect promotion and community engagement to rise again now things are looking more normal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami