• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League Transfers and Rumours

Tevor

Number one priority is getting people to sign up to P-. Until people see value in Paramount including outside of football it will not matter who you bring to the league people cannot watch football if you don’t have P-. One game a week on 10 is not enough exposure to make a difference. I know so many who used to watch on Fox but no longer do. All the negative comments on socials about the coverage doesn’t help either, why would you sign up when everyone says how bad the coverage is. Fix that and it will make more difference than a washed up player wanting a vacation in the sunshine.

The word is it will be better for next season so lets wait and see.

Rising Sun

Similar to the one we had for the Mariners, there probably needs to be a "have we hit rock bottom yet" thread for the a league as a whole

Tevor

Similar to the one we had for the Mariners, there probably needs to be a "have we hit rock bottom yet" thread for the a league as a whole
Wow, there hasn't been much detail through the year on ratings but that is really bad. Also the crowd for a final was very poor. I'm not sure if rock bottom has been hit by the league yet but don't worry they have a marquee fund for next year and that will fix everything. I feel more games need to be shown on free to air but with ratings that bad I don't see that happening any time soon. Moving to a streaming platform is turning out to be a real problem and so few people are watching the A league now compared to previous seasons. What happens after four years and CBS is not keen to throw a heap of money at the league again. Good bloke better have more than just getting a marquee to two up his sleeve. The APL does not have time on their side and they need a huge next season or there will be big problems just around the corner for the League.

Rising Sun

Wow, there hasn't been much detail through the year on ratings but that is really bad. Also the crowd for a final was very poor. I'm not sure if rock bottom has been hit by the league yet but don't worry they have a marquee fund for next year and that will fix everything. I feel more games need to be shown on free to air but with ratings that bad I don't see that happening any time soon. Moving to a streaming platform is turning out to be a real problem and so few people are watching the A league now compared to previous seasons. What happens after four years and CBS is not keen to throw a heap of money at the league again. Good bloke better have more than just getting a marquee to two up his sleeve. The APL does not have time on their side and they need a huge next season or there will be big problems just around the corner for the League.
Ratings have been below six figures most of the year I believe. Old matey DGB said they would be starting to share the strategies to grow the game over the "next couple of months", but that was about 3 months ago.

You are right about marquees they will help but only as one cog in the strategy rather than the strategy itself. DGB's strategy for falling crowds at Sydney is to wait until they move back to the SFS and the problem will be solved - may or may not be true but it does suggest to me that he doesn't have a grasp of how deep a hole the A-League is in at the moment

turbo

Ratings have been below six figures most of the year I believe. Old matey DGB said they would be starting to share the strategies to grow the game over the "next couple of months", but that was about 3 months ago.

You are right about marquees they will help but only as one cog in the strategy rather than the strategy itself. DGB's strategy for falling crowds at Sydney is to wait until they move back to the SFS and the problem will be solved - may or may not be true but it does suggest to me that he doesn't have a grasp of how deep a hole the A-League is in at the moment
Ratings have been crap pretty consistently but it appears both the APL and 10 wrote off this season. They started promoting and then when covid madness went into overdrive in Dec & Jan they clearly went bugger it let’s hold off for next season. Why promote a game that was getting canned at the drop of a hat because the jets have been out licking windows? Yes it’s stabilised but it was a lost cause by then with midweek fixtures and other garbage including P+ not being ready.

I disagree about the doom and gloom (and tbh oztam is an antiquated system with a crap sample size) but this season coming will be a very important one for the league and I’m certain they know it.

Rising Sun

Ratings have been crap pretty consistently but it appears both the APL and 10 wrote off this season. They started promoting and then when covid madness went into overdrive in Dec & Jan they clearly went bugger it let’s hold off for next season. Why promote a game that was getting canned at the drop of a hat because the jets have been out licking windows? Yes it’s stabilised but it was a lost cause by then with midweek fixtures and other garbage including P+ not being ready.

I disagree about the doom and gloom (and tbh oztam is an antiquated system with a crap sample size) but this season coming will be a very important one for the league and I’m certain they know it.
I think the ratings dropped from abysmal to very abysmal once they stopped promoting it. You are right, next season is important and to the extent that I would be concerned that if ratings didn’t pick up quickly, the parent company might be willing to take a big write off and renege on the deal or on-sell the rights at a big loss.

An uplift in promotion will help, marquees (done well) will help, new owners coming in and investing will help. But it is going to be a big job just to stop the downward spiral, and I think they will need a lot more up their sleeve as well.

Townsend probably knows it is a big season but does he understand the size of the task? Appreciate he has to talk things up but he does sound blasé with some of the things he says. He hasn’t even bothered to find himself a replacement at SFC yet. I suspect that he is hanging on until later in the year to get “opening of a CoE” and “move into a major new stadium” onto his resume before quitting, but the fact that both he and the APL are happy to go into a critical period for the game with a CEO who has full time employment elsewhere is a big risk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami