• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League Transfers and Rumours

Rising Sun

Also I meant to post the original post in this sub-thread in "Australian Football stuff not worthy of a whole thread", clicked on the wrong thread. This is probably the fist time in the history of the forum that a thread has gone off topic apologies for that :headbounce:

Insertnamehere

Consider you could watch the game through P+, which I did. So viewership # should include those.

Its disingenuous information

But also APL and 10 didn't advertise the finals in the lead up to the finals. Only during.

They have heaps of shit to do better for next year but these ratings mean shit all. Just the # of casuals who watched.

turbo

Consider you could watch the game through P+, which I did. So viewership # should include those.
OzTAM claim they have a panel of just over 10k households. If you don’t have a box you have no impact on the ratings whatsoever. You are invisible. So you have approximately 26k people providing ratings for almost 26 million (ie 1 viewer represents around 1000) and they are spread out across the country. Worse still if some/all members of that household are watching via P+ it’ll tank the ratings so you’re actively asking potential football fans to watch the crap version with ads.

Obviously there’s still value in the data but it’s hard to put much faith in the figures for niche interests.

AJames

I think the ratings dropped from abysmal to very abysmal once they stopped promoting it. You are right, next season is important and to the extent that I would be concerned that if ratings didn’t pick up quickly, the parent company might be willing to take a big write off and renege on the deal or on-sell the rights at a big loss.

An uplift in promotion will help, marquees (done well) will help, new owners coming in and investing will help. But it is going to be a big job just to stop the downward spiral, and I think they will need a lot more up their sleeve as well.

Townsend probably knows it is a big season but does he understand the size of the task? Appreciate he has to talk things up but he does sound blasé with some of the things he says. He hasn’t even bothered to find himself a replacement at SFC yet. I suspect that he is hanging on until later in the year to get “opening of a CoE” and “move into a major new stadium” onto his resume before quitting, but the fact that both he and the APL are happy to go into a critical period for the game with a CEO who has full time employment elsewhere is a big risk.
Heard that the handover should be done in next 2-3 weeks.

Kilsin

Wow, there hasn't been much detail through the year on ratings but that is really bad. Also the crowd for a final was very poor. I'm not sure if rock bottom has been hit by the league yet but don't worry they have a marquee fund for next year and that will fix everything. I feel more games need to be shown on free to air but with ratings that bad I don't see that happening any time soon. Moving to a streaming platform is turning out to be a real problem and so few people are watching the A league now compared to previous seasons. What happens after four years and CBS is not keen to throw a heap of money at the league again. Good bloke better have more than just getting a marquee to two up his sleeve. The APL does not have time on their side and they need a huge next season or there will be big problems just around the corner for the League.
to be fair, there were 10k+ at a 12k capacity stadium due to the whole other side being under construction but I bet if we had it at home we'd come close to packing it out!

Tevor

to be fair, there were 10k+ at a 12k capacity stadium due to the whole other side being under construction but I bet if we had it at home we'd come close to packing it out!
I was referring to the WTFU v Nix game as I felt Adelaide did ok giving the stadium restrictions but why didn’t they move to a bigger venue but I guess then it would have looked empty. Better having a full half stadium than repeating the embarrassment of the night before.

I swear Turbo is on the payroll with either the APL or P- given his defence of everything this season. He is their best ambassador but I’m content to see if his prediction of next season is correct when Covid etc is no longer an excuse for a poorly administered league. Hope you are right Turbo because I’m sure you know by now I’m going to remind you if you are wrong. I’m happy to be wrong but I think the league is in all sorts at the moment with no clear way out. I feel I’m backing the favourite.

turbo

I swear Turbo is on the payroll with either the APL or P- given his defence of everything this season. He is their best ambassador but I’m content to see if his prediction of next season is correct when Covid etc is no longer an excuse for a poorly administered league. Hope you are right Turbo because I’m sure you know by now I’m going to remind you if you are wrong. I’m happy to be wrong but I think the league is in all sorts at the moment with no clear way out. I feel I’m backing the favourite.
I’m certainly not blind to the issues but given the options of death riding the league or being optimistic I’m going with the latter because the alternative sucks and doesn’t get us anywhere. There’s been way too much to be negative about in the world over the last few years and it’s exhausting. We can both agree turning things around next season is critical.

Tevor

I’m certainly not blind to the issues but given the options of death riding the league or being optimistic I’m going with the latter because the alternative sucks and doesn’t get us anywhere. There’s been way too much to be negative about in the world over the last few years and it’s exhausting. We can both agree turning things around next season is critical.
I’m not death riding the league, head in the sand approach will not benefit anyone. There are many and clear failings, if not addressed who knows what will be around in three years. I’ve been a huge advocate for the A league but this season has been atrocious at best.

turbo

I’m not death riding the league, head in the sand approach will not benefit anyone. There are many and clear failings, if not addressed who knows what will be around in three years. I’ve been a huge advocate for the A league but this season has been atrocious at best.
Plenty are though. So often online including here and on the reddit sub legitimate complaints end up in a vicious cycle to a point where people are looking for the negative and the angle in everything. From there it’s all doom and gloom and the bar for being satisfied becomes harder to reach as mole hills have become mountains.

I’ve answered every survey I’ve been sent re the league and P+, logged tickets with Paramount telling them things weren’t good enough, responded to a bunch of threads on reddit & Twitter discussing problems and been brutally honest while doing so. The fans can see the issues so I have no doubt the suits are well aware but some things take longer to resolve than others for various reasons. Maybe they’re all idiots but I doubt it.

turbo

Injury prone but a brilliant pick up tht shows that SFC are a shambles with youth development - bloke on Twitter reckons they didnt even make him an offer
Their assessment of his condition must be pretty bleak. Presumably WSW gave him a thorough look over so one side or the other is going to look silly. I think he’s worth the gamble as long as he isn’t completely cooked.

Wombat

TBF Tevor.....you and Fulham.......do love a death ride and throttle!! Are you sure you are not Scottish??

Your natural pessimism is Scottish class.

booney

No season is atrocious when we make the finals -in fact it is an excellent season ( only great if we win the GF)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb