• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ALM Mariners V Perth Glory -New Years Eve Match

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
so, 25 goals scored since November AFC fixture....that's not too foul methinks
if Jacko can get Tappy and DiPiz up to scratch quick, and Koulity completely de-Krauted, Nizzy will have some new options on the run....so , cool
as for yesterday....
3 Tulio
2 Faz
1 Tappy

Forum Phoenix

Things were a lot different back then. 2011-13 we were spending well beyond our means, to the point the club was hours away from going bankrupt. CEOs at the time were leading us to death.

Shaun’s led us through the valley of death and out the other side. We ain’t rich, but we need to chill on the death knells. Tbh I don’t even understand why anyone’s trying to sound the death knells. We’re unbeaten in 6; we just scored 4 at home… why is everyone so fkn miserable?!

How good was some of our football?
Perth are a good, big and dare I say psychotically committed side, and we looked a class above. They were thoroughly outplayed and out coached.

Kuol is starting to hunt. And it’s beautiful. Was dangerous as f**k.

Torres and Niz I could single out for special praise, but everyone deserves plaudits.

The balance in the teams mentality/football... I haven’t seen better in a CCM side. We are strong, composed, smart, creative, confident and fit.

We can still get caught out with a defensive lapse, particularly it seems to be after we’ve been dominating, pushing hard and cutting the other team open, but failing to score, then the other team gets a quick break and we slip and crunch the gears a little as we try to change gears and cop a goal, but I think overall our defence is still in very good shape. And it’s across the park.

Tulio is such a fantastic player and he will be so missed. But when he took his foot off the gas last night in the second half, it was Niz and Torres and Alou spearheading most of our attacks. Which gives me real hope we will survive his loss.

Was a great night and a there’s definitely a lot of great football discussion we can be having.

Last edited:

Tevor

Goes out on a limb... others may have theres....

my nomination of worst shot on goal ever by a Mariner player in an A-League match is Doka's attempt last night
I’m not a Doka hater as I think he will still be valuable to this side this season and even the next. It wasn’t a great shot but he put a cross or two in that Kuol should have got closer to. I know the visa argument but he isn’t rubbish.

Ads

Trouble is a shit schedule. If we had all Saturday night games, you probs see 8-10k weekly. Maybe more.

I have 2 & 6 year old and is a nightmare attending any games after 6:00 kick off.

And I think a fair whack of the market of Dad’s/mums late 20’s to early 40’s that would like to attend games with their mates try and take young kids where they can but often difficult or too many negotiations with spouse. Haha.

However a lot of these football dad’s/mums that play all age and over 35’s on the Coast a lot of their kids will soon be a bit older making it easier to take them to games.

I’ve never enquired but have the Mariners ever had a crèche setup where they hire childhood educators at casual rate of $40/$50 hour for 3 hours etc but then charge parents say $10/$15 per child to cover the costs involved.

I still reckon we need to invest in entertainment that peaks the interest of the different demographics. And even though bit misogynistic cheerleaders are still used in NRL and BBL and could be factor in adding to game day and speaks to male demographic of 18-30 that might find it easier and cheaper to drink and watch at home.

And things like the KFC bucket hat was pretty viral for BBL.

We probably need to look more at the League wide experience so if a consumer goes to any aleague game they know it will have -
* Mascots
* Cheerleading
* Coke spark machine / fire / flare
* Half time league wide competition
(10k prize hit the bar)

I’m still astounded we haven’t emulated Soccer AM from the UK and use it to engage a competition wide competition between fans of teams and makes for great tv or pregame show.

So much that wouldn’t cost much to lay a foundation for a more entertaining and consistent experience even if your team loses.

Big Al

How good was some of our football?
Perth are a good, big and dare I say psychotically committed side, and we looked a class above. They were thoroughly outplayed and out coached.

Kuol is starting to hunt. And it’s beautiful. Was dangerous as f**k.

Torres and Niz I could single out for special praise, but everyone deserves plaudits.

The balance in the teams mentality/football... I haven’t seen better in a CCM side. We are strong, composed, smart, creative, confident and fit.

We can still get caught out with a defensive lapse, particularly it seems to be after we’ve been dominating, pushing hard and cutting the other team open, but failing to score, then the other team gets a quick break and we slip and crunch the gears a little as we try to change gears and cop a goal, but I think overall our defence is still in very good shape. And it’s across the park.

Tulio is such a fantastic player and he will be so missed. But when he took his foot off the gas last night in the second half, it was Niz and Torres and Alou spearheading most of our attacks. Which gives me real hope we will survive his loss.

Was a great night and a there’s definitely a lot of great football discussion we can be having.
Perth is classic team we don’t like to play against as there counter attack is quick and they have Taggart as a deadly poacher who only needs one opportunity.

That first goal while lazy by Faz to shut the pass off was a bloody good goal.

Perth always looked dangerous but we did look better than them.

Would have liked us to score another goal in open play off our dominance

The team seems to like playing the current formation and it suits our strength which is quality midfielders.

Ancient Mariner

This is 100% spot on. I’m not suggesting we spend 1 mil on replacements. That’s not viable or sustainable. However there needs to be some low priced diamonds who are going to polish up quickly. The balance is also about keeping fans happy, along with keeping the club afloat and in both cases that means maintaining some level of success.
I expect we will attempt to purchase some low priced diamonds, but even if they are diamonds they tend not to polish quickly. In the past Benni, Kaltak and even Tulio took time to properly shine and Monty had to put a lot of work into Silvera to bring him to his peak. There are no quick fixes. We will not be buying immediately obvious quality. It will be interesting to see how good the new coaching staff is at finding gems.

We have some low priced diamonds who may yet respond to more polishing.
I am not prepared to right off Doka who shows massive commitment whenever he gets a run. Like Torres early on, I suspect he may be trying too hard at times and losing technique. I would like to see him have a run on the wing.
It may be a long shot, but I suspect Wilson may have something valuable to offer if he finds hid feet and possibly if he is played as a #10.

Michael

Shaun’s led us through the valley of death and out the other side. We ain’t rich, but we need to chill on the death knells. Tbh I don’t even understand why anyone’s trying to sound the death knells. We’re unbeaten in 6; we just scored 4 at home… why is everyone so fkn miserable?!
Just bumping this part of your post for another viewing for everyone.
This forum can be seriously unbearable with the doom and gloom and conspiracies, particularly when the team is doing well.

Meerkat

Just bumping this part of your post for another viewing for everyone.
This forum can be seriously unbearable with the doom and gloom and conspiracies, particularly when the team is doing well.
I think it’s the “once bitten, twice shy”.. there is a lot of wariness from people who lived through the Valley of Death. Blind faith is a lot to ask when those bad days were not that long ago.

Still, most of us “doom and glooming” would keep riding through another dark patch because that’s what we do. Doesn’t keep the club afloat though, we have seen that too. Not enough of us.

We can be positive of as negative as we like, really has no impact on the outcome but what the wider fan base sees, thinks feels and behaves, certainly will and that has to be acknowledged.

turbo

This is the key issue

You put 5 games on in a row at your ground, people have to then prioritize which they can make.
There's definitely fatigue when you get multiple home games in a row. It's easy to say well its too hot/wet/whatever I'll just go next week. On a personal level I've got a young family and it's an effort getting everyone there and happy throughout the game. I'm not always up for it with back to back games especially with difficult weather. Add the women to the mix and the scarcity is somewhat gone. Great for some meh for others.

Forum Phoenix

Matt Osman vs NQ Fury, ball literally ended up in Brisbane water.

Kwassie put so many balls into orbit he still consults for NASA on a regular basis.

But, it was only the easy ones.

If the only way possible to score a goal was thread it between the legs of three defenders, bounce off both posts six times, ricochet off the referees foot up into the keepers face then onto the back of the head of the player on the back post and then finally dribble into the net… kwassie would get it done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred