• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ALM semi first leg v Smurfs away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastalraider

We played Friday because that was the only realistic option. The ground was booked out Saturday and Sunday so the only way to have a longer rest post AFC was to swap weekends and lose our home ground advantage for game 2 - never going to happen.

I know this may be hard to take after years of being treated like a bad smell, but right now ‘if’ there is an agenda it’s towards us.. we are the favoured child.

Not only are we a success story, we will get a sell out crowd to the gf (or a big one to commbank like was rumoured to be the original plan). We are everyone’s second favourite team, so will drive viewers and digital reach.

We will get blanket media coverage like no other team if we win the comp due to the unprecedented treble, meaning significantly more exposure for the comp than if any other team wins it from here.

We also have the added benefit here of having a tiny operating budget - at a time when APL are slashing tv budgets. Don’t for a second think the APL wouldn’t like to walk into meetings being able to wave that fact in rich teams faces. Proof that reduced funding can still be successful.

Any way you look at it, it’s in the APLs benefit to have us win next week, host a GF, and win the comp.

It’s a strange situation to be in.

Huddo

We played Friday because that was the only realistic option. The ground was booked out Saturday and Sunday so the only way to have a longer rest post AFC was to swap weekends and lose our home ground advantage for game 2 - never going to happen.

I know this may be hard to take after years of being treated like a bad smell, but right now ‘if’ there is an agenda it’s towards us.. we are the favoured child.

Not only are we a success story, we will get a sell out crowd to the gf (or a big one to commbank like was rumoured to be the original plan). We are everyone’s second favourite team, so will drive viewers and digital reach.

We will get blanket media coverage like no other team if we win the comp due to the unprecedented treble, meaning significantly more exposure for the comp than if any other team wins it from here.

We also have the added benefit here of having a tiny operating budget - at a time when APL are slashing tv budgets. Don’t for a second think the APL wouldn’t like to walk into meetings being able to wave that fact in rich teams faces. Proof that reduced funding can still be successful.

Any way you look at it, it’s in the APLs benefit to have us win next week, host a GF, and win the comp.

It feels like your first paragraph contradicts your second.

What we did with the first 2 trophies demonstrates the budgetary position, I don't believe there is a conspiracy theory, but I do believe there is an unconscious bias.

The APL knew about the timing of AFC cup final for how long? Im sure noting the competition the expectation is we'd atleast make it. All it required was a little fore thought.

Coastalraider

What we did with the first 2 trophies demonstrates the budgetary position, I don't believe there is a conspiracy theory, but I do believe there is an unconscious bias.

The APL knew about the timing of AFC cup final for how long? Im sure noting the competition the expectation is we'd atleast make it. All it required was a little fore thought.
But with the stadium pre booked well in advance for other codes regular season matches, what do you think the solution was to the Friday game issue? Those bookings were made well in advance of us making AFC finals, the scheduling of those games, and Sydney making the league finals at all.

Meerkat

There are a few ways you can look at it.
We did have some rescheduling to accommodate our 2nd competition. However, as it has been pointed out by a few, we could have chosen to forego the home 2nd leg advantage and switch the fixtures, when we knew we had made the AFC GF, giving us more control over timing, but we opted not to, knowing the possible outcome would be that we played Sydney on Friday.
I do think, having us represent Australia at international level, should have had us supported more by the APL. But I guess a line had to be drawn somewhere.
Either way, we did it. We won. Nuff said.

Tevor

There are a few ways you can look at it.
We did have some rescheduling to accommodate our 2nd competition. However, as it has been pointed out by a few, we could have chosen to forego the home 2nd leg advantage and switch the fixtures, when we knew we had made the AFC GF, giving us more control over timing, but we opted not to, knowing the possible outcome would be that we played Sydney on Friday.
I do think, having us represent Australia at international level, should have had us supported more by the APL. But I guess a line had to be drawn somewhere.
Either way, we did it. We won. Nuff said.
It just shows Allianz Stadium values League and Union more as tenants than SFC. When I was in Oman Rich said he was complaining to the APL about the Friday game and wanted it moved however the only viable option was Monday and that would not have been a good option for anyone from a $$$ point of view.

He also tried to get the APL to fund first class for the players because of the short turnaround and they gave that the thumbs down. It’s great we got that result on Friday night considering the scheduling. Having also travelled to Oman it was pretty taxing on sleep schedules etc.

LFCMariners

Controversial call incoming but...

I actually wouldn't have minded going back to Commbank again. Plenty of pre-game venues in Parramatta, higher capacity and the idea of celebrating a Championship in the RBB's end before they do is golden...

moomoo

Controversial call incoming but...

I actually wouldn't have minded going back to Commbank again. Plenty of pre-game venues in Parramatta, higher capacity and the idea of celebrating a Championship in the RBB's end before they do is golden...
My daughter and I were just saying the same. It does make it a big event, something different & special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred