• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM v Wellington Paranormal

adz

Staff member
I legitimately hate hearing the negative stats for any team from the "side-kick commentators", it's such an off-putting discussion point when they are supposed to be highlighting, showcasing and promoting the league but any opportunity they get they pull out stupid stats like "This will be the 308th min the Mariners haven't scored against X club, how does that affect the X rating" blah blah...such rubbish and always makes me think the person who says it comes across as uneducated and can think of nothing important or of particular relevance to say other than a shitty negative stat for each team.

I hope they do away with it and find something better to discuss going forward.

Yep and wtf is that XG anyway? Twice now it's said something like Mariners XG (Expected Goals) 2.16, but they already scored 3 at that point. Are we expecting the Mariners to score -0.84 now?

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
XG ....what a load of f**king bollocks, i saw a FA cup tie with Man U v some squad of nowhere near premier league blokes and it ended up nil all after 90 ...wonder what the XG by p+ would of been then ....its some toss sack in marketing making shit up to make them sound like their actually keen

Kilsin

Yep and wtf is that XG anyway? Twice now it's said something like Mariners XG (Expected Goals) 2.16, but they already scored 3 at that point. Are we expecting the Mariners to score -0.84 now?
That's it mate, it's not being used the way it was designed and XG updates every 5 mins are just silly.

Ironbark

I am not certain of this but thought the XG was based on chances created.

If so, it appears to be proportionate - that is an XG of 2 means you're expected to score 2 goals to their 1, or an XG of 0.5 means half a goal to their 1 (so 1 goal if they score 2) based on chances created

...I think

But is utterly pointless. It's only an indicator of who is creating the better chances, not how many goals will actually be scored or by who. Football of all games is the least likely to go with the stats. How many times do you see a team utterly dominate and lose 1-0.

P.S. This is my interpretation, I actually know nothing about XG or how it works!

FFC Mariner

XG is mathematically correct but utterly meaningless. Justifies selling people analysis software. FM22 runs on it (think its in the match engine somewhere) really annoying

Reactions: adz

Kilsin

Expected goals (or xG) measures the quality of a chance by calculating the likelihood that it will be scored from a particular position on the pitch during a particular phase of play. This value is based on several factors from before the shot was taken.

Reactions: adz

adz

Staff member
Oh how weird. So by the time they have said xg is whatever blah blah the number will be totally out of date and useless... the ball would have to basically roll a couple meters and the calculation will be different

turbo

Tap ins in the 6 yard box have a higher XG than near your own halfway?

Needed that calculation to help everyone. Absolute bollocks
xG doesn’t do much if you’ve watched a match but if you’re trying to get a view at a glance I can see it filling a gap that goals, shots, shots on target doesn’t cover.. could use some tweaking but I think it’s largely just being over hyped

Kilsin

Oh how weird. So by the time they have said xg is whatever blah blah the number will be totally out of date and useless... the ball would have to basically roll a couple meters and the calculation will be different
Yeah, it's basically a prediction algorithm that is being used incorrectly in the a-league every few mins to add filler content to boring commentary.

bikinigirl

. i figured that xG was something created to make a video game work ... to try and predict what would happen in the real world

. somehow it now seems OK to use that to discuss what should have (?) happened in the real world ... instead of talking about what has actually happened in the real world

Omni

xG can be a useful metric. It helps you understand if the chances reflected in shots were actually good. If a team has a lot of shots and a very low xG you know what you need to focus on

Rising Sun

xG can be a useful metric. It helps you understand if the chances reflected in shots were actually good. If a team has a lot of shots and a very low xG you know what you need to focus on
Not against the use of stats but if a coach can get any useful insight from this particular stat that they can't from just watching the game then they probably shouldn't be coaching

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami