• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners Squad 2021/22

Wombat

We do not have a lot of experience in that position and RBs are pretty scarce. Could be a useful signing to provide knowledge of the position to the young aspirants.
That made me chuckle. Storm has no concept or knowledge of how to defend so it would be the blind leading the......................I'm sad now so I'm going to make a bacon and egg sandwich.

EDIT....Bacon, Egg, Lettuce and Adelaide Hills Camembert washed down with some Pukka Blackcurrant tea. I've cheered up a bit as Monty has acknowledged that there are areas of his game that need improving so hopefully he can improve him defensively. Engine, skills, crossing, shooting ....PASS. Positioning, tackling, heading, awareness.....FAIL.

Last edited:

pjennings

I will keep saying it over and over again. You do not turn centre backs into fullbacks.
Right and left back in the modern game are attacking positions.
The position requires speed and a motor to go up and down the field more than a box to box midfielder, plus the ability to cross and be able to shoot.
These are skills not found in your centre backs.
If you want to make fullback from your squad, look at wingers who can defend.
If you have too many centre backs turn them into DMs or play with a back three.
Agree to an extent but it should read can be / should be attacking positions. However, especially if playing a back four their primary job is to defend and given our budget constraints that should be the focus. Given our budget Monty seems to be looking at the front third for spending more. Roux I suspect was a cheap pick up because he was released many months ago and was probably scrambling for a gig. I look at him as a squaddie - not a leader in any respect.

Looking at our players:-

Smith - haven't seen a lot but many Adelaide fans didn't want to lose him. Probably starting LB.
Hatch - good going forward and quick to get back - defensively pass with a push.
Farrell - Monty has big wraps on him.

Hall - a CB / RB - very solid defensively, awareness is good. My front runner for starting RB. Basically a better footballer than the other options. Probably needs to work on going forward. If he is needed centrally then Miller and Roux need to fight it out for the position.

Miller - primarily a CB playing as a RB. TBH I think he is to much of a hothead to be a CB. Passable defensively at RB needs work going forward. I could see a number of penalties being conceded if he plays as a CB. So in that respect I think we need to convert him to a RB.

Arok - solid defensively but still green - really just a CB.

Roux - poor defensively but passable going forward.

Last edited:

Rising Sun

Agree to an extent but it should read can be / should be attacking positions. However, especially if playing a back four their primary job is to defend and given our budget constraints that should be the focus. Given our budget Monty seems to be looking at the front third for spending more. Roux I suspect was a cheap pick up because he was released many months ago and was probably scrambling for a gig. I look at him as a squaddie - not a leader in any respect.

Looking at our players:-

Smith - haven't seen a lot but many Adelaide fans didn't want to lose him. Probably starting LB.
Hatch - good going forward and quick to get back - defensively pass with a push.
Farrell - Monty has big wraps on him.

Hall - a CB / RB - very solid defensively, awareness is good. My front runner for starting RB. Basically a better footballer than the other options. Probably needs to work on going forward. If he is needed centrally then Miller and Roux need to fight it out for the position.

Miller - primarily a CB playing as a RB. TBH I think he is to much of a hothead to be a CB. Passable defensively at RB needs work going forward. I could see a number of penalties being conceded if he plays as a CB. So in that respect I think we need to convert him to a RB.

Arok - solid defensively but still green - really just a CB.

Roux - poor defensively but passable going forward.
Spot on with most of that analysis, although I think you are a bit harsh on Miller. I think he can develop into a very decent centre back given the opportunity. Not convinced he is a long term proposition at RB and like you, I would have Hall there in front of him.

Rising Sun

The signing of Sturridge has supposedly squeezed out Castro at Perth (no more visa spots). Any takers if he is being realistic with his salary expectations?

Corsair

The signing of Sturridge has supposedly squeezed out Castro at Perth (no more visa spots). Any takers if he is being realistic with his salary expectations?
Old but still worthy in my opinion. Could be very interesting playing him with Urena.

Drew

fairly sure he'll probably retire and head back to Spain, at least that's what I've heard, makes sense considering he's 39, but he might decide to keep playing, who knows, i would definitely take him here, very good player despite his age, but I think he will retire

Corsair

Rumours from Singapore that we have signed this guy. Looks a real moneyball signing
Interesting, pretty good show reel. Good with his head, can finish, good vision and drives at defences. I'd be happy if this was true, a 23 y.o. brazilian CF/AM. Seems to fit well with what we're missing.

The sides he's playing against in his reel don't look that crash hot, what's the Singapore league like for standard compared to A league?

Seems to have bounced around between clubs a lot recently.

Last edited:

Drew

could be a decent pickup, wouldn't expect the Singapore league would be that good, but he's young and seems like he knows how to find the back of the net, and a CF/AM which is what we need. Really like Monty looking at younger visa players like nkololo goddard and now potentially this guy, much better for the club then old has been's nearing retirement, hopefully he signs,

marinermick

Someone on the Sydney forum has a mate in Singapore who says More Esky is one of the most exciting players in their league. He is very skilful and good at taking players on one-on-one. Downside they said is that he is partial to simulation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred