• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners Squad 2021/22

marinermick

I want seasoned proven strikers for any real money and personally otherwise much happier unearthing and giving time to talented youth that prove they are up to this level like Kuol or DWH.

Sadly I don’t think we will get lucky with another Urena without serious money

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
RIGHTO, it my thinking, that for the rest of the year Staj should start Smiley, Bauman and Janota, cause Kuol is in Stuttgart already , Stef is dreary mostly and Janota needs some real time ...and we ain’t scoring anyway , so f**k it

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
RIGHTO, it my thinking, that for the rest of the year Staj should start Smiley, Bauman and Janota, cause Kuol is in Stuttgart already , Stef is dreary mostly and Janota needs some real time ...and we ain’t scoring anyway , so f**k it
I mean , how many actual permanent starting line up changes has Staj made since our opening excellent form (that has drifted off to be fair )

Tevor

I mean , how many actual permanent starting line up changes has Staj made since our opening excellent form (that has drifted off to be fair )
We could have saved a tonne of money on the pre game text messages, it's boring when it is pretty much the same run on team every week. However we would have killed for that kind of stability in all those other seasons I've totally forgotten about. Catch 22.

Melange

There's a bit of full back analysis on other threads. My simple summary:
Clisby - didn't want him near the side after the last two seasons. Now, full credit to him, he's had a fantastic year and I'd definitely be happy with him as a starter if he keeps his form up.
Nigro - I actually think he's getting a bit of bad press because of a form drop, he was much better earlier in the season but his crosses recently and go forward have been horrible.
Miller - aside from his strange hunching down on the goal, had a really good game against City, he was more confident on the ball in attack than he showed last year.
Hall - good performances and would like to see more, like Miller I think he has to become a full back, he's not a natural. But my views of him are limited.

I just wonder what our expectations are for filling the full back positions. We have a limited budget and I don't see the value in spending big there. Unless we uncover a gun youngster then we're destined for serviceable. I would like more depth with natural full backs pushing Clisby/Rowles for a start, but they aren't costing us games as they regularly did in the past.

turbo

I just wonder what our expectations are for filling the full back positions
IMO Hall is in the right place to pick up time at CB as a first choice fill in. See what happens from there. Clisby I'm fine with but we need someone who can back up in LB at a pinch, whether that's Hall, Nigro, Hatch or someone new I dont know.
Miller / Nigro is the issue - I dont feel like either should be the first choice for next season but either is a serviceable back up player on a cheap enough wage. In terms of who that comes down to whats easier to fix - some of Miller's defensive faults or Nigro's lack of attacking edge. I'm leaning towards Miller on that battle noting that he's also only 20. But if we picked up a gun player on the wing that might change the variables.

Ancient Mariner

I just wonder what our expectations are for filling the full back positions. We have a limited budget and I don't see the value in spending big there.
I disagree somewhat. Fullbacks have become an extremely important part of any football team. While they are still defenders they have become a major part of any attacking arsenal and are vital to success. They require greater fitness than box to box mids along with speed, good crossing and shooting abilities as well as being able defenders.
Look at Grant at SFC for the best example in the A-League and think back to how important Heff was to us in our early great years. They have largely replaced wingers for ice in attack.
This should be an area to spend for quality. The main difficulty is they are scarce.

pjennings

I disagree somewhat. Fullbacks have become an extremely important part of any football team. While they are still defenders they have become a major part of any attacking arsenal and are vital to success. They require greater fitness than box to box mids along with speed, good crossing and shooting abilities as well as being able defenders.
Look at Grant at SFC for the best example in the A-League and think back to how important Heff was to us in our early great years. They have largely replaced wingers for ice in attack.
This should be an area to spend for quality. The main difficulty is they are scarce.
Well Behich and Risdon are both of contract.

The problem is that for what we can afford these guys are what you get and have actually performed quite well.

Do I want them to be squaddies behind obvious first choice players - absolutely. But then I wake up. Until then I will dream and hope for a that we can get lucky.

Ads

We might have to settle for looking at some of the younger wide backs from Wellington or maybe WSW as they attempt to double the salary cap or even look to QLD.

At the front Max Burgess is set to go to Sydney but he is very direct and would have been good with our flow problem between mids to front.

I mentioned Pain in response to wide players on the other thread as well.
He is someone that the bigger teams might boot in favour of big name or exciting youth, would give DDS the opportunity to move back into a middle role or 10 if we find a decent left foot wide player.

JoyfulPenguin

We might have to settle for looking at some of the younger wide backs from Wellington or maybe WSW as they attempt to double the salary cap or even look to QLD.

At the front Max Burgess is set to go to Sydney but he is very direct and would have been good with our flow problem between mids to front.

I mentioned Pain in response to wide players on the other thread as well.
He is someone that the bigger teams might boot in favour of big name or exciting youth, would give DDS the opportunity to move back into a middle role or 10 if we find a decent left foot wide player.
Pain recently signed a two year extension with Western United:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred