• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Stadium

dibo

I should have been clearer.

I don't think the number of events there has a heap to do with elected/appointed council, but my disagreement was with the idea that it's a shame that the place hasn't had more money spent on it in the last 16 years - it simply hasn't warranted it.

nebakke

Interesting quote from the below article

"I know when I've had discussions previously down this path and I have talked to [Mariners CEO] Shaun Mielekamp, if Central Coast were to get into the finals then the final quite possibly would be at Canberra Stadium."

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4...avid-gallop-flags-a-league-expansion/?cs=2439

Christ... I don't even know what to say to that, if that's true... Although as we've seen in the past, the club doesn't seem to have much, if any, say in where it's played but...
Imagine a situation where we and Perff qualified for the Grand Final, with us top of the qualification table and they play it in Canberra... There'd be noone there...

Rowdy

Finals, whether Qtr's, Semi's & Grand are by their very namesake - possibly Final !

WhyTF play anyone of the variants in Canberra ???

Last edited:

Rowdy

It woul be akin to:
"cutting of one's nose, just to spite one's face".

Coastie's
would be burning their membership cards in droves
......... me included !

nebakke

I do not think it is in reference to grand final just the final series top 6. Surely that would never happen!!

It only really makes sense in terms of the GF - that's where we have the capacity issue they're referring to.
I can see it from the club's point of view - if they can't get a home GF on the coast and they can build a base in Canberra, it makes logistical sense to push for it as the second best option. The problem is the message that it sends after the discussions over the last couple of years. It's no longer just a logistical issue. Had this come at the start of the MC ownership, it would have probably just been blamed on the FFA (and not without reason), same if this guy had kept his tap shut until we're in a position where we look like qualifying again and the usual discussion starts.
But now it just sends a shitty message that restarts a shitty discussion.

Gratis

This discussion needs to be had of course and I agree with most of what's been said...but I'm just not that worried that this problem will arise this season or next (coming first and having a home grand final)

Timmah

I think this is pipe dreaming from a Canberra for A-League advocate - the only venues we'd play a Grand Final at would be CCS (if by some freak of nature FFA let us), Allianz or ANZ.

Shaun Mielekamp

Hey guys, let me be clear here as the poetic license by others can be taken as gospel at times which causes unnecessary stress.

When asked the question: "If the Mariners could not play a final at their home ground in Central Coast could Canberra bid to have the final hosted there?" Answer was "Sure if the crowds are good here for the next two games and that scenario occurred there is no reason why Canberra shouldn't make a bid to have us there".
But seriously this was a passing conversation with a passionate Canberran. Would we take the GF there - no way. If the FFA knocked back a semi-final being played at Central Coast and the option was to perhaps play Sydney FC at their home venue or take the game to Canberra? Of course they can bid for it - but please keep in mind it is not the clubs call it is the FFA's decision for where finals matches are played. I hope this helps put some context to the quote made in local Canberra press.

dibo

Thanks for the prompt clarification. We can all put the pins back in the rhetorical grenades.

Forum Phoenix

Awww man, fair go Mielekamp, i didnt even get a chance to lose my shit yet!

This clearly undermines the purpose of social media.

Please refrain from such prompt clarifications in the future unless you''re prepared to risk getting rid of all outrage and ire directed towards the club in general.

You've been warned.

Last edited:

style_cafe

I find this just so freakin funny.
One season we`re losing out shit about being wooden spooner`s the next we`re talking about hosting the GF in Canberra!
TBH I`d be just so happy to see us in a GF again I`d travel anywhere!:overheadl:

Reactions: adz

priorpeter

I find this just so freakin funny.
One season we`re losing out shit about being wooden spooner`s the next we`re talking about hosting the GF in Canberra!
TBH I`d be just so happy to see us in a GF again I`d travel anywhere!:overheadl:

Even Brisbane. I'm pretty sure we've not had one up there.

midfielder

Tis getting serious ... please let it happen...

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/10/12/mariners-ramp-bid-buy-central-coast-stadium
Mariners chairman Mike Charlesworth has approached Gosford City Council with an offer to either acquire Central Coast Stadium outright, or at the very least its' management rights, in a visionary attempt to create what he says could be the “best sole purpose football ground in the country”.

But despite council yet to offer a formal response due to the amalgamation of Gosford and Wyong councils resulting in the region being run by administrator until September, the club is continuing ramping up its attempt to get an answer in the affirmative.

Charlesworth’s vision for the stadium includes: an upgrade its corporate facilities, improving merchandise and food facilities for supporters, installing yellow seats, Wi-Fi and removing the BEARS insignia, as well as upgrading its big screens.

There are also plans to create a retail precinct for fans on Brisbane Water.

With the Mariners already owning their own training facilities at their centre of excellence in Tuggerah, Charlesworth sees acquiring stadium ownership as the next logical step.

“We badly want to invest which we can’t do at the moment and that’s a ludicrous situation in many respects,” he said.”

"Our intention is to improve the product we are offering our fans.

"As things stand, we can’t even control food and beverage and ticket sales through the stadium ... we control very little.

"From a fan engagement point of view, leaving aside facilities, we are very limited in what we can do.

“We want to build the best and most sophisticated purpose-built football stadium in Australia.

"I think it’s achievable but we have to have a large measure of control of the product to be able to do that."

gettyimages-513977378.jpg

Central Coast Mariners team page
All the latest news, updates and insight from Central Coast Mariners

Charlesworth said that being the A-League's smallest club in terms of its population and membership base was fueling the quest to explore other revenue streams and "go the extra mile".

"The council are trying to decide what direction they are going in and Peter's priority is to sit down with them and hopefully push this forward," he added.

"We need to think far beyond just building memberships because we will never attain the numbers of a Melbourne Victory, for instance.

"But what we can do is be more creative and aggressive in generating revenues through other means. So, in the future, it’s not inconceivable that from a commercial point of view the club is bigger than Victory in several years’ time.

"But that would be through other means like management rights for the stadium."

The Mariners, who are effectively the stadium's sole tenant, have yet to name a figure but are prepared to make a significant offer with Charlesworth, adding: “What’s good for us and is good for the community. We are deadly serious about this.

"I think council realise it’s a problem for them and the stadium hasn’t always been managed properly and effectively over the years.

“I think they know how need to do something about it, so we will see how serous they are.”

gettyimages-612920994.jpg

Positive signs so far for Mariners under Okon
It may have looked like a gamble but Central Coast Mariners' signing of rookie coach Paul Okon is already paying off according to Connor Pain.

Charlesworth takes inspiration from the US model, where each club in the MLS now owns their own ground.

“Going back 15 years thy war all playing in other people's stadiums, they were too big and too expensive,” he said.

“They started to invest in small purpose-built stadiums which they could see commercial returns from.

“That’s probably the biggest reason for the turn-around in the success of the MLS.

“It’s a stadium strategy we don’t have in Australia yet but if we can break that mould I think it would be a great example to other clubs.

“Running your own stadium also puts emphasis back on the clubs to deliver a better stadium experience for fans. We talk about fan engagement but cold meat pies and overpriced chips isn’t a great product. But if you are accountable for a product then you can fix it.

“Right now we can’t use Wi-Fi in the stadium, we can’t do a thing. We rent it as is. But we are a commercial enterprise and I feel we are better equipped to attract other content into the stadium than council is.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred