• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Country over Club??

serious14

Just wondering if there's anyone here who has the same viewpoint (that is, Country over Club rather than Club over Country) towards this issue as I do??

Now believe me, I'm not looking to get into an argument over the merits of one viewpoint versus the other, I was just genuinely wondering what everyone's personal stand is??

For me, I consider Country to be the very pinnacle of what you can achieve in football, and that there is no greater honor than representing your country on the football field.  Not to mention that it is a great uniter of cultures, countries, religions. etc.  There is nothing in the world quite as good as doing this as International Football, as well as the fact (surely?) that the World Cup is the single greatest sporting event on the planet.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my club(s) - always have, always will.  I just happen to sit on the side of Country over Club when it comes to this particular debate.

rosko

Wow.. What an issue to open... One of the guys I work with has a son that plays with Juventus.. He is clearly of the belief that it is Club over Country, due to the injury concern, and that playing football is their career, their livlihood.. Missed game time can mean the end of the season if your replacement can step up and do the job as you did, or God forbid, better.. It's an interesting point, and from what he has said, many of the players, believe in club over country also. I guess your livlihood can mean that to you.
As for me, I believe in country over club, but Im not having my wage paid to me by a club either...

midfielder

Not as easy a decision as your post implies. Players find themselves at different times of their careers in different circumstances.  Using Harry & Timmy C as an examples at Leeds when Harry was at his best he was sort after whereas know after three years on the sidelines and fighting for a new contract his position is different. So to Timmy C right now he is in top form so he can say I am off and it has no comeback.

AS Rosko said if it is your livelihood then hell it is a big price to pay.

For me and my guess for most of the players it is country but not all are in a position to say country. Thats why FIFA brought the international weeks and no show up no play for your club neither.

This will be for ever changing and the G14 at times I think want to take over football but that an entire other story

dru

Country, but then I come from a sport that doesn't have professional avenues to pursue.

At the end of the day it comes down to the individual if they decide they want their priority to be club fair call, but the same should be said for choosing country. Down to the individual.

priorpeter

All depending on the importance of the match, I suppose (probably seems quite obvious..). Hypothetically, for instance, an FA Cup Final (or similar) vs an International Friendly (which will probably never happen due to FIFA rules etc, it's just an example) - the player(s)/coaches would obviously have to look at the importance of the two matches and decide really.

The concern of club coaches is also very understandable. We often see players getting called up for international duty when not fully fit (Ref. Nic Mrdja, AUS-ARG friendly, anyone?), and picking up injuries at often crucial times for their club. Hence the reason for the G14 getting so Antsy-pantsy, so to speak, about their players getting called up.

It's a little more of a tricky issue with the HAL Finals going on atm... Obviously they're V.Important matches for the clubs, coaches and players alike, but we also have a WC Qualifier to look at.

Ok now I find myself arguing with myself. That was pointless :-s ???  ???  ???  :soapbox:

W/regard to the G14 - they're disbanding. They came to some sort of compensation agreement for players on International duty w/FIFA or something, and yeah.  :tophat:

brett

In Australian Football, I believe the A-League exists to develop better players for the national team (while entertaining us in the meantime). Country > Club in terms of importance. Although outside the WC, my Club can make me 'feel' more than the Roos.

In Europe, a balance must be struck and it's hard to say how. There should be less games across all competitions to ease the burden.

Tassiemariner

One thing i hate is when people "retire" from international football.
It shows a great lack of loyalty and dis-respect to the country in which your born and bred in.

We have more connection with our clubs because they are week-in week-out for the whole year while the national team is alot more bandwagoner and gets the general public involved in our sport for a and creates a great sense of national pride.

Bear

Im split 50-50 between the both. Without club, there is no country. Clubs should be compensated for players returning injured from international duty. I sympathise with Moyes. Cahill is Australias best player, and one of Evertons best. If he gets injured for country, why shouldnt the FFA pay some sort of compensation? They called the player up, they should cover the consequences for injury.

priorpeter

Further to my comment about the dissolution of G-14 earlier, here is the official statement:

FA, UEFA and a number of top European clubs are pleased to announce that they today signed a letter of intent, which starts a new chapter in the relations between the governing bodies and the clubs. The development is very much in line with the sporting and political philosophy of FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini, who seek to involve all key stakeholders in the decision-making processes of football and to find workable solutions within the football family itself. The European clubs share this philosophy.

Meeting at the Home of FIFA in Zurich, the representatives of the organisations present (cf. list at the end of this media release) agreed on the intention to regulate their future relationship with a number of actions. These are to include the planned evolution of the European Club Forum into the European Club Association (ECA), the formal signature of a memorandum of understanding with UEFA and subsequently the dissolution of the G-14 with the withdrawal of its claims in court. As part of the planned moves, UEFA and FIFA will enter into a series of commitments including financial contributions for player participation in European Championships and World Cups, subject to the approval of their respective bodies.

FIFA President Joseph Blatter hailed the meeting as a historic occasion and a turning point in modern football. "Something very special has happened today. The clubs, which are the basic cells of our game and fundamental to its thriving, are at last to become a part of the pyramidal football organisation. Today's letter of intent gives a big boost to football. We have reached this positive conclusion by taking care of the legitimate aspirations and requests of clubs to access the decision-making levels of international football."

Blatter's positive sentiments were echoed by his counterpart at UEFA, President Michel Platini: "The demands of the clubs to be heard and to be associated, also financially, are well-founded. The letter of intent signed today is not a political step, but a logical one."

Speaking on behalf of the clubs, Barcelona President Joan Laporta praised the outcome of the meeting, emphasising that "friendship and confidence is the basis for our game. I compliment the UEFA President on having implemented the change he promised when he came to office. It is a victory for all."

At a meeting of the European Club Forum on 21 January, UEFA will propose to the European clubs the intention to create a new body that will represent their interests at European level. This new club body - to be known as the European Club Association - will consist of more than 100 clubs across Europe, including representatives from every one of the 53 national associations of UEFA. The new body will be independent but recognised by UEFA through the above-mentioned memorandum of understanding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred