• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Goalie wants Socceroos spot

Alicia

By David Davutovic
April 02, 2008 12:00am

THE only thing stopping him from playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world is the best goalkeeper in the world, but Jess Vanstrattan is prepared to return to the A-League if it helps his chances of Socceroos selection.

Vanstrattan is one of the back-up keepers at Italian giants Juventus for Gianluigi Buffon - the man who thwarted the Socceroos' progress at the 2006 World Cup and has just signed a deal through to 2013.

But Vanstrattan, 25, wants to jostle for a spot in the Socceroos' 2010 World Cup qualifying squad and, having dropped off the national team radar, believes an A-League stint might do the trick.

"It's a case of out of sight, out of mind,'' he said from Torino. "I think I could go up against a lot of other (Aussie) keepers. I've spoken with (Socceroos keeper coach) Tony Franken, who told me they are looking at guys that are playing regularly, so that criteria is fair enough.''

While Mark Schwarzer has a firm grip on the No.1 shirt, the back-up spots are up for grabs.

Newcastle Jets' Ante Covic is back in favour at the moment and Brad Jones (Middlesbrough), Adam Federici (Reading), Nathan Coe (FC Copenhagen), Michael Petkovic (Sivasspor), Danny Vukovic (Central Coast) and Tando Velaphi (Perth) have all been called upon in the past year.

One reason no one has been challenging Schwarzer is because very few are playing regularly, which is why Vanstrattan - who has played for the Joeys and the Young Socceroos - is considering rejecting Juventus' next offer.

"I've been thinking a lot and next season's crucial with the World Cup qualifiers, it's something I've been quietly working towards,'' he said. "I really want to be involved with the national team.

"It's not an easy decision with Juventus. I'm at one of the biggest clubs in the world and people might think your career's the main thing, but I like playing for my country. If you're not a regular, returning to Australia might be a good option, because sometimes players are forgotten about.''

Vanstrattan, who hails from Wamberal, on the Central Coast, said while he has not played much this season, facing David Trezeguet and Alessandro Del Piero at training has been more than beneficial.

"(Coach) Claudio Ranieri changes it around a bit. I've been on bench six or seven times this season but it hasn't been enough to satisfy me,'' he said.

"Getting knocked out of the Coppa Italia and the Champions League has made it tough. With Buffon in front of you, unless he has problems, you don't get a look in.

"But it's good in a way because you learn from one of the best keepers in the world and every day you're facing shots from Trezeguet, who is a freak in front of goal.''

With former club Verona preventing him from joining the Jets last year, his A-League options appear limited.

But if Vukovic's nine-month suspension is upheld - which would rule him out until round 14 - the door may open at his hometown club, while Perth, Sydney FC and perhaps Queensland are potential homes.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23468755-5006068,00.html

skilbeck

Jess needs to maybe do a loan stint here (with us :) ) and then maybe go back to Europe and look around for a first squad position somewhere. If he is next in line after Buffon at Juventus then his chance will come eventually, he has to be patient. But becoming the first goalie for a European top 20 side would require a lot of luck

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

It's a good reflection on the HAL that, for varying reasons, players are looking at coming to the HAL as a vital stepping-stone to fulfilling their ambitions.

Of course it'd be better if players want to play in the HAL purely for the sake of it, but let's not expect too much ;-)

But essentially he's sacrificing a top back-up spot (And the wait for the top spot) for a socceroos back-up spot.  One 2nd tier position for another.

I guess only he can decide if it's worth it or not.

It'd be awesome if Lawrie signed him up, just for a year, let Danny be 2nd string when he comes back for the rest of that season (unless a short-term contract is an option).

I'm still very, very nervous about having Trott defend our net. 

~Floss~

Sounds like a great opportunity (for both him and the Mariners) to give it a go for a while and reassess the situation towards the end of the season / loan / danny's suspension

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred