• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

How you can help with Retro Round

adz

Staff member
It's been mentioned in the R17: Mariners V Perth thread, but in case you missed it, Round 17 is Retro Round. Basically this is like the last retro round - wear your old Mariners/Marinators gear, crap on about how good the old days were. The club is helping out with guest speakers for a pre-match event, and Yellow Army having 'Back to the Bay' - so if you used to go in Bay 16, get back in there!

The thing that we're looking for now is any photos and stories that can be used in promoting it.

We're passing the photos/stories on to the club to use in the Loose Cannon (and web, emails). So anything that may be incriminating, just say "a friend did ...." etc. Although statute of limitations may apply ;)

Cheers!

dibo

I have some great memories from the first year:
  • That time when we were celebrating winning the 2005 Pre-Season Cup (our first trophy!) and the pileup of people on the fence caused it to give way. Big Dave got into security guard mode and we all got up safely.
  • Noel Spencer's win in the rain away to Sydney.
  • The first home win in the A-League - at home to Perth in front of a hardy (and soggy) crowd of 6k or so. Huge party in Bay 16 with the die-hards loving every second of it. There are highlights here:
  • The following home game we played Sydney and Meggsy was marched early, Yorke converted from the spot, Petrovski got a hat trick and I had a train ride home to Sydney that night with a carriage of Sydney fans chanting "you won't be yellow tomorrow". Bzzt... incorrect.
  • The first NYE, and our first derby victory over the scum. 4-1 win and a huge party ensured:
  • The beach day in January 06 where we had board shorts and bikinis (including on some of the blokes) and @MrCelery brought an inflatable shark that we spent much of the game tossing at the camera guy on the big scaffolding tower
  • The semi against the scum where we had a frankly enormous crowd watch us get the draw we needed to get through to the prelim. I think that's probably the moment when it all sunk in that this is a really big thing for the coast. We've played nearly 300 league and finals games since then, and not even 30 of them have been in front of bigger crowds than that. Only five crowds at home have ever beaten it.
  • The Grand Final felt like the day when everyone realised the A-League was the real thing for the country. A sold out stadium, massive noise, a brilliant sunny day and a good contest. The only shame was that we couldn't take the chances and win the damn thing.
Other memories
  • The day we signed Vidmar was awesome.
  • The day we signed Aloisi was even better.
  • I swear there was a game in the first couple of years where someone took a free kick straight into Muscat's nuts and we scored off the rebound. If anyone can find video I'll be grateful.
  • The night we sang "Yellow Football Team" for about 15 minutes straight, and then Simon (I think?) scored an equaliser to save a point away to the Jets
  • The weekend we won the league. Jets played Friday, and went top. We won on Saturday and overtook them on goal difference, but Sydney and Brisbane both had the chance to get over the top. A bunch of us went to the Sydney game and watched the sky blues choke massively and hilariously. We ran down the hill to the KB to watch Brisbane play away to Adelaide (who were out of finals contention and had only won 5 games all year). For some reason their kit man forgot to take the white shirts that every away team still had to wear at that point, so the match was an eye-bleeding horror of orange vs red. It was all too much for Danny Tiatto, who got himself sent off. Brisbane choked too, Adelaide won 2-0, we were Premiers, chaos ensued.
  • The away leg of the semi felt like we dominated but somehow came home with a 2-0 deficit to chase. Sash Petrovski's winner were greeted by probably the loudest roar that has ever come out of our stadium. People would've heard us in Narrabeen. It was epic. It was also notable because the bay was as full as it has ever been, before or since. And we had a huge party out the front.
  • The Grand Final itself was forgettable, mostly because we never quite felt on top of the game - I think the fans and the team were scared of losing more than keen to win. And the Jets' tifo was excellent. We made a lot of noise and the players tried their hardest but it wasn't enough. Afterwards there was a kind of funk over us all, though for some reason I remember people singing and dancing along to "I'm walking on sunshine" at the KB *many* hours and *many* beers later and feeling like a) it was time to go home, and b) the sun would probably still come up in the morning.
  • The Champions League campaign was forgettable except for the match where we were being hosed by Kawasaki, *someone* ripped a flare and everyone went mental, and it was (for once) appropriate because we were Mariners in distress.
  • The final game of that campaign we played Tianjin Teda and they were awful, and diving and time wasting and all the rest, and Matt Osman made me nearly cack myself laughing in his last game for us when he went to the ref to remonstrate about the time wasting and to underline the point threw himself theatrically to the ground and rolled around.
  • That time when heaps of Mariners fans went to Brisbane to converge on a stamp collecting exhibition on southbank (we really are the fun-loving club). There was a gas leak though so a few people wound up with a collective hallucination of having watched a football game, but the rest of us just had what felt like a monumental hangover.
  • Side note from that season - there was a match where we had Amini, Ibini and Duke all score against Gold Coast away. That was something special, because we knocked off a Gold Coast team with Shane Smeltz in great form and a bunch of other good players and they were never in it. Never at the races.
  • Can't remember the season, but Simon and Hutcho scoring away as we won in Newcastle - two blokes who always put in on derby days
  • Winning the league the second time was more sedate, mostly because we were playing in NZ, and the goal that put us in front came (improbably) from John Sutton. Someone must've got the forklift and put him in just the right spot for Kwassy to cannon a cross off his bonce for his only goal for us in 8 games and 568 forgettable minutes (yeah, I looked that up!).
  • The day we played Wanderers away just after the new year and got a 2-0 win, with the goal machine sealing the match with an hilarious winner because he latched onto a backpass whilst well offside, but the WSW defenders were confused as all hell. We introduced the wanderers fans to songs like "We've got beaches, you've got gun crime..."
  • Playing the Wanderers at home and we should've sealed the league, but Mat Ryan missed a penalty and Labinot Haliti scored at the other end. Bummer.
  • The Grand Final. I never felt like we were going to lose. In the semi against Melbourne Victory and the Grand Final itself, I felt like we were on top of it, it was our time, we knew what we had to do and we were going to just put it away. And we were, it was, we did, and it happened. And we partied very hard!
  • Standing on the hill at NSO, with one of our number bagging Andy Harper, only to find he was standing not two metres behind. A cuddle and a photo op later, all was well.
  • Matt Sim getting an equaliser for us in Newcastle last year. So, so sweet, in an otherwise awful season.
That'll do for now.

I've dug out some photos too:

224165_5010071409_1713_n.jpg

Donny Parkes getting to know Peter Turnbull

10398719_6780521409_6504_n.jpg

Remember when this was a thing?

The night of the major semi 2nd leg vs the scum was special:

1923743_10475686409_5749_n.jpg

The north end was absolutely crammed...

1923743_10475696409_6457_n.jpg

...and noisy...

1923743_10475691409_6109_n.jpg

...but the scoreboard was the best thing in the place.

1923743_10475661409_3751_n.jpg

...and the spontaneous street party out the front wasn't bad either!

554232_10151612364736410_272084362_n.jpg

Champions at last!

JoyfulPenguin

Enjoy the retro round everyone! While I know I wasn't there with the Mariners, all the memories of Heart and the friends I made are very dear to me. Have fun remembering and celebrating!

Reactions: adz

FFC Mariner

Interesting memories on Facebook of an ACL game against Kawasaki where a flare was let off in bay 16. IIRC that, and the one away to Newcastle on boxing Day 2008 are the only 2 let off at a senior CCM game?

At least 1 of the culprits will be there against Perth but will we have both? (wasnt me in either case BTW)

Wombat

Happy days.
Recky and many others tearing up.
What an epic relief......and so sweet against those mega mouth upstarts.

Wombat

See the shock on those dumb Westie faces.
I was talking to a chick from Mt Druitt area who was there supporting us.....all the mums in her lovely neighborhood were banging on how the drive bys couldn't lose and she slightly knew Duke.....that was enough for her and her son to make the correct decision......and bask in the glory of a fabulous but draining afternoon.

Paolo

Interesting memories on Facebook of an ACL game against Kawasaki where a flare was let off in bay 16. IIRC that, and the one away to Newcastle on boxing Day 2008 are the only 2 let off at a senior CCM game?

At least 1 of the culprits will be there against Perth but will we have both? (wasnt me in either case BTW)
If i recall correctly it was never discovered who the newcastle culprit was as the accused was released after a 'solictor' came to his defence?

bikinigirl

. my memory is not as good (apparently it is an age related ailment), so I will just have to reminisce based on someone else's memory ...

The following home game we played Sydney and Meggsy was marched early, Yorke converted from the spot, Petrovski got a hat trick

. I still maintain that Meggsy was innocent and Yorke tripped over himself

The beach day in January 06 where we had board shorts and bikinis (including on some of the blokes) and @MrCelery brought an inflatable shark that we spent much of the game tossing at the camera guy on the big scaffolding tower

. and a forum name was born following discussions with Meggsy and Sully

The weekend we won the league. Jets played Friday, and went top. We won on Saturday and overtook them on goal difference, but Sydney and Brisbane both had the chance to get over the top. A bunch of us went to the Sydney game and watched the sky blues choke massively and hilariously. We ran down the hill to the KB to watch Brisbane play away to Adelaide (who were out of finals contention and had only won 5 games all year). For some reason their kit man forgot to take the white shirts that every away team still had to wear at that point, so the match was an eye-bleeding horror of orange vs red. It was all too much for Danny Tiatto, who got himself sent off.

. we have been sitting with the same group of people since back in those days ... people we didn't know before the Mariners. As we didn't (don't) have Fox one of the blokes kindly invited us to his place to watch all the fun unfold ... that's the community spirit

The Grand Final itself was forgettable, mostly because we never quite felt on top of the game - I think the fans and the team were scared of losing more than keen to win. And the Jets' tifo was excellent. We made a lot of noise and the players tried their hardest but it wasn't enough. Afterwards there was a kind of funk over us all, though for some reason I remember people singing and dancing along to "I'm walking on sunshine" at the KB *many* hours and *many* beers later and feeling like a) it was time to go home, and b) the sun would probably still come up in the morning.

. Jedi getting a yellow in the first couple of minutes (seconds?) took him out of the game ... practically put the game to sleep (until the dying moments when things just got silly)

That time when heaps of Mariners fans went to Brisbane to converge on a stamp collecting exhibition on southbank (we really are the fun-loving club). There was a gas leak though so a few people wound up with a collective hallucination of having watched a football game, but the rest of us just had what felt like a monumental hangover.

. weird. I remember taking a road trip to Brisbane with the group of guys I mentioned above ... but I didn't realise we were all into collecting stamps. I do remember vowing not to return though

Side note from that season - there was a match where we had Amini, Ibini and Duke all score against Gold Coast away. That was something special, because we knocked off a Gold Coast team with Shane Smeltz in great form and a bunch of other good players and they were never in it. Never at the races.

. I believe it was Dukey's debut ... getting a late call up (flying up the day of the match or something bonkers like that) ... the other kids, if not on debut, were close to it. I seem to remember another kid having a dig and hitting the post, was it Sains?

bikinigirl

. one memory (although more recent) was sharing Maty Ryan's 21st birthday with him on an away trip to China - poor kid, imagine the first kiss he got on his 21st was from me

Atomic

Here are some of my photos from the game that never happened...

16195944_10154975963289252_5363725581702044167_n.jpg

Caxton Street

16195939_10154975963269252_2435653630461759868_n.jpg

Caxton Street... I can't remember the name of the pub

16298556_10154975963279252_6399492041569002922_n.jpg

A few minutes before kick off

16195724_10154975963354252_3255384474124844243_n.jpg

Excitement is building...

16174634_10154975963359252_322346858450337557_n.jpg

Yours truly... fueled up and ready to go

16266131_10154975963374252_5849973439350845377_n.jpg

The teams walk out to start the game

I can't remember what happened after that... I think they called the game off.... or something...

(What doesn't kill us makes us stronger... COYY!!!)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred