• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

"I for one welcome our insect overlords" - The Politics Thread

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

After the bullshit last election? Labor would be daft to to do anything which could even be vaguely or wrongly interpreted as hurting property investors. We all saw what happened with franking credits and the 'death tax'.

No, unfortunately Labor can't come to this election with any sort of structural tax reform - even though it's desperately needed.

Smarter play would be to not make it an election policy - but just do it when they're in power - although waiting for their 2nd term would probably be best for anything structural.

In the meantime, most they can do is tinker with 'affordability' policies which sound great but just drive prices up further.

Although, who knows what will happen when rates start to increase.

Man Overboard

After the bullshit last election? Labor would be daft to to do anything which could even be vaguely or wrongly interpreted as hurting property investors. We all saw what happened with franking credits and the 'death tax'.

No, unfortunately Labor can't come to this election with any sort of structural tax reform - even though it's desperately needed.

Smarter play would be to not make it an election policy - but just do it when they're in power - although waiting for their 2nd term would probably be best for anything structural.

In the meantime, most they can do is tinker with 'affordability' policies which sound great but just drive prices up further.

Although, who knows what will happen when rates start to increase.
I agree, Labor came unstuck last time because of the scare campaign over negative gearing and capital gains tax rorts [alienating the mining electorate in Qld was another factor too]. Unless you believe Scovid who claims divine intervention for his success.
One possibility is to vote Labor in the House of Reps [or Tories if you are so inclined], and for the Affordable Housing Party in the Senate. The AHP is unashamedly a single issue party whose goal is to influence a government on this issue. A victorious Labor [or Coalition] government could then, hand on its heart say that introducing AHP policies was just the price of doing business with minor parties holding the balance of power.
On its other policies the AHP say that they are "progressive" and believe in evidence based policy making.
You are right about the tinkering that Labor and Libs have proposed. Its pouring petrol on a fire and making things worse.

pjennings

I found the most abhorrent example last election was the death taxes campaign. It is not ALP policy ("Inheritance taxes died at the federal level 40 years ago in 1979. Labor has no plans to bring them back," Dr Leigh said.) It is Greens policy but they said they were not taking it to the election.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, Corangamite MP Sarah Henderson, Hughes MP Craig Kelly, and Senator Jane Hume Pauline Hanson and George Christensen all said that it was likely to be introduced by Labor. A lot of it was done directly to tradies via facebook. i.e You know that $40000 your father just bought for the family business. Well the ALP want their 40% of that when your ailing father dies

The only major party that did not rule it out (and still haven't) was the LIBs with Josh saying he would not rule anything in or out.

FFC Mariner

You mean death taxes?

Was mentioned at a work briefing today - no one can work out how Albo plans to pay for his largesse. Scummo mentioned mining Tax in WA yesterday so Shortens death taxes will surely get a run.

Man Overboard

You mean death taxes?

Was mentioned at a work briefing today - no one can work out how Albo plans to pay for his largesse. Scummo mentioned mining Tax in WA yesterday so Shortens death taxes will surely get a run.

Insertnamehere

In all seriousness he hasn't said who he plans to get to pay for his promises.
That's why he's starting to slip
Being beaten by a vile turd like Scummo takes some doing but unless he starts to land a few punches outside the twitter echo chamber he will be in trouble
I mean he can't afford to offer a plan, because 51% voted against what was a good plan that Shorten had. So we all get the choice between a do no harm Labor option and a free for all LNP option.
I can't say that hes slipped any worse than scummo. Scummo literally said hes blessed he hasn't got disabled kids. Is that gonna run as the front page for a week? There's a vast difference in coverage bias. Albanese is trying to play to that.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Being beaten by a vile turd like Scummo takes some doing but unless he starts to land a few punches outside the twitter echo chamber he will be in trouble
I just find it curious that you complain about Albo's alleged 'largesse', while we've never seen any government rack up debt so hard, so fast with as little to show for it as the current idiots.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Its a message thats been fed to people for decades now. Labor = spending LNP = 'better economic managers'
Yep.

It absolutely befuddles me that people still believe it.

It's also amazing how everybody whinging so hard about the debt during the Gillard/Rudd years go completely silent when you point out the LNPs debt.....

midfielder

Balance the budget and cut foreign aid .... make fun of Pacific Island Climate Change fears .... use your size to ramp home CC is not important.... often playing to a home audience something no other PM ever has done i.e. take political agendas to foreign affairs...

China building according to reports a naval base closer to the East Coast than Perth... major blunder....

pjennings

Worth a read. Chart 9 is interesting when you see that the current govt and the Howard govt seem to be big taxers while the 'big government' Whitlam was the smallest taxing. Amazing what you can do when you are not paying the consultancy firms but rather a competent public service.

Last edited:

true believer

albo just has to stand and watch the LNP punch themselves out .
the scumo" im blessed comment " is a wrecked ball and an unbelievable blunder .
the goose stepping nazi their running in warringah. that they tried to wedge labor on trannies .has back fired .now, highly educated blue ribbon liberal seats. will be looking at these dickheads and vote independents .
all labor has to do is say "the libs voted 31 times against a federal ICAC"

if it wasn't for the murdoch press the race would be over

style_cafe

Now you`ve got me wondering FFC.
I`m wondering who Scummo is going to get to pay for all his promises.
He seems to be the one "spending like a drunken sailor" as Tony Scabbott would say...
Maybe he could get Gerry to donate the $7m back or Flydenberg could ask his best mates dad (Stokes) to contribute the $40m odd that he pocketed, or maybe still Scummo could borrow more money.
But on a brighter note mate ,you absolutely nailed your description of Morrison "vile turd" is gold!!!

FFC Mariner

Now you`ve got me wondering FFC.
I`m wondering who Scummo is going to get to pay for all his promises.
He seems to be the one "spending like a drunken sailor" as Tony Scabbott would say...
Maybe he could get Gerry to donate the $7m back or Flydenberg could ask his best mates dad (Stokes) to contribute the $40m odd that he pocketed, or maybe still Scummo could borrow more money.
But on a brighter note mate ,you absolutely nailed your description of Morrison "vile turd" is gold!!!
Neo liberals dont get anyone to "pay" they just cut welfare and services

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred