• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

"I for one welcome our insect overlords" - The Politics Thread

Insertnamehere

While there was a slight swing on primaries against Labor it was definitely an 'its time election'. Labor picked up seats because of this and people in traditional Coalition went independent because of this. The increase in the Greens was also another sign - they wanted a Labor agenda- just faster.

What do the Libs do - drift back to the centre to try and reclaim some of the Independents or go further right as Peta Credlin is advocating? TBH most of the Teal independents are what would have been perfect candidates for a traditional centre right Liberal party in the tradition of Julia Banks. I believe they need to go back to their traditional base rather than big business, big media, big oil and happy clappy Christians. My fear (for them) is that they go further right and lose all relevance and the community independents over time will become the de-facto opposition.

The vast majority of Australia are centrists not extreme right or left. The Libs need to remember that and make an appropriate course correction.
A large problem for them is corporate and religious infiltration. Every state is riddled with zealots of either a religious or corporate nature. There's no trur moderates left. Howard, Abbott and Slomo managed to fk them all off.

Its going to take major reforms for them to clear house and get back their old base. High quality indies are extremely hard to displace because they can truly reflect their constituency. Major parties struggle nowadays.

greenlig

Everyone has been watching so much American TV they forgot we don't actually want that here.

Also, love that a low socioeconomic kid is the PM. That's a genuinely good story regardless of your views on the man himself, will give many people hope that their kids can climb out too.

Man Overboard

Everyone has been watching so much American TV they forgot we don't actually want that here.

Also, love that a low socioeconomic kid is the PM. That's a genuinely good story regardless of your views on the man himself, will give many people hope that their kids can climb out too.
Agree, but as he is now PM I just wish he could learn to say Australia not Straya

scottmac

Suspended
Hi Scott, I think that the Liberals may use this time in opposition to reset by mending fences with their disenchanted Teal supporters. If they do then they will be a serious contender next time around by regaining the Teal independent seats that had massive swings, but are held by small margins. These seats are what I was referring to.
The Greens did really well but generally their success was at the expense of Labor, not the Coalition.

I don't mind the idea of minority governments as they have moderated otherwise bolshie governments. In the past it was only a few peeps like Windsor and Oakshott who helped form governments. These were fairly stable. Now with so many possible independent options, the horse trading will be more complex. If one independent decides to no longer support the minority Labor government, Albo can always tell them to take a hike as there are other options for him. This is the dysfunction I was referring to. It will be interesting to see who gets the balance of power in the lower house, and THEN there will be the fun and games in the Senate
I don't see that as dysfunction, I see that as democracy. You need to convince them what you want to do is right for them, not just have them vote in your favour because they are red or blue. If that doesn't work you need to alter your policy to match the needs of the people in those electorates or at least have it as being not to their detriment. What's good for Labor is that the independent seats won are mostly inner city and they will be more in favour of the more controversial pieces of policy that a traditional Nats or Lib electorate would accept.
As for the coalition, their leader will more than likely be Dutton who will steer the party more to the right (as in obviously rather than the stealthy way they've tried to exist the last 3 terms) and maybe fall well behind the population in regards to policy direction. Interesting times.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

Simon Birmigham got it right, they ignored 3 facts that were evident in 2019 - was only that Shorten got it so wrong that allowed them 1 more term than they deserved.

Wealthier, better educated electorates want action on climate change
Peoplehate the fact that the Govt are rape apologists and loathe women
You cant be conservative if there is nothing to conserve (neo liberal economics doesnt work)

With Dutton waiting in the wings they wont get back quickly. Too wedded to the fossil fuel bribes, Murdoch bribes and extreme right wing church ideology.

Also, Lucy? have you f**ked off yet? Chop chop

Man Overboard

I would like to see all tax breaks removed for organised religion. If a bunch of people want to band together to celebrate an imaginary friend , then that's fine, but taxpayers in an increasingly secular society should not be footing the bill for it. Religious organisations should be treated the same as any other corporate entity providing [an imaginary] service.

Last edited:

pjennings

I would like to see all tax breaks removed for organised religion. If a bunch of people want to band together to celebrate an imaginary friend , then that's fine, but taxpayers in an increasingly secular society should not be footing the bill for it. Religious organisations should be treated the same as any other corporate entity providing [an imaginary] service.
While I agree with you - the problem with the happy clappy mob is that they have more in common with the grifters from the Cher song Gypsys Tramps and Thieves. Preach a little gospel Sell a couple bottles of Doctor Good. They are essentially money making ventures - not charities.

Man Overboard

While I agree with you - the problem with the happy clappy mob is that they have more in common with the grifters from the Cher song Gypsys Tramps and Thieves. Preach a little gospel Sell a couple bottles of Doctor Good. They are essentially money making ventures - not charities.
Yep, and its not just the Happy Clappers, I'm talking about mainstream sects as well. I would be interested in how the Dept of Fair Trading would rule on a business offering a service [an afterlife] but with no evidence that it has been supplied. Any other business would be prevented from operating.

BTW I found this very informative and an entertaining read. https://richarddawkins.com/books/book/the-four-horsemen

Kilsin

Yep, and its not just the Happy Clappers, I'm talking about mainstream sects as well. I would be interested in how the Dept of Fair Trading would rule on a business offering a service [an afterlife] but with no evidence that it has been supplied. Any other business would be prevented from operating.

BTW I found this very informative and an entertaining read. https://richarddawkins.com/books/book/the-four-horsemen
Great read! I read this last year and have been following these guys for many, many years, such level headed, rational thinkers...

RIP Christopher Hitchens, he was truly legendary with words.

I have been all for the separation of church and state, enforcing taxes on religious organisations and using that revenue to improve our health, education and general areas of suffering (elderly, homeless, unemployed etc.) sadly, it seems like a pipe dream with so many religious members in our government and political systems.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Hi Scott, I think that the Liberals may use this time in opposition to reset by mending fences with their disenchanted Teal supporters. If they do then they will be a serious contender next time around by regaining the Teal independent seats that had massive swings, but are held by small margins. These seats are what I was referring to.
The Greens did really well but generally their success was at the expense of Labor, not the Coalition.

I don't mind the idea of minority governments as they have moderated otherwise bolshie governments. In the past it was only a few peeps like Windsor and Oakshott who helped form governments. These were fairly stable. Now with so many possible independent options, the horse trading will be more complex. If one independent decides to no longer support the minority Labor government, Albo can always tell them to take a hike as there are other options for him. This is the dysfunction I was referring to. It will be interesting to see who gets the balance of power in the lower house, and THEN there will be the fun and games in the Senate

1) Not with Potato Satan in power - I'll be surprised if they don't go further right.

2) Well, not in Qld where the LNP voters skipped over Labor and went straight to Greens.

having said that, Greens doing well at the expense of Labor is still a good thing - it sends the message that the Labor supporters are sick and tired of Labor working hard to play 'me too' to the Liberals.

style_cafe

Crossing the floor is Archer's only redeeming value. LNP is full of underperformers now. Bishop could have led them to multiple election victories but they wanted to lurch right.

If they go with any of Tudge, Taylor, Dutton they are showing no lessons have been learnt. There's just no high quality moderates.

Most of let's see who's left after an ICAC gets established.
A warming thought… :popcorn:

pjennings

An observation on twitter on the barracking (not reporting) of the media

The media: ‘The coalition has left the economy in great shape! Great job guys well done!’

Also the media: ‘WHAT WILL LABOR DO TO FIX THE ECONOMY?!?!? ITS IN TATTERS!!!’

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami