• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

International League Rankings

skilbeck

Is it possible to source a FIFA or other association list of international league rankings in order to see where Australia sits in comparison to the Europe and other Asian leagues. My theory is using the league system in England that Australia would be competitive with League 1, J1 with the Championship and J2 with League 1. But i want to see something official with Australia and other Asian teams on it

dibo

How would they measure it? Would it be the number of times the average punter could be expected to say Shit, wow! while watching an average match? Would the leagues therefore be ranked by shitwow? If they were ranked by shitwow, how would you control for the more and less easily excited a piece of brilliance that gains three shitwows per person in ever-excitable America might only get a Ja, that was good in Finland.

skilbeck

shitwows are a good way of measuring it but i wouldve thought a better way to measure it would be the same sort of way that national teams are ranked. it could be done over a long time frame when teams from different leagues play each other i.e. regional champions leagues and cups, international club leagues and cups, and friendlies etc

dibo

skilbeck said:
shitwows are a good way of measuring it but i wouldve thought a better way to measure it would be the same sort of way that national teams are ranked. it could be done over a long time frame when teams from different leagues play each other i.e. regional champions leagues and cups, international club leagues and cups, and friendlies etc
i think there was some method of measuring it that came up after SFC were in the WCC a coupla years back, but i'll be buggered if i can remember what it was called. tbh, i think it's going to be a pretty sketchy measure, whatever it is.

skilbeck

all ranking measures are very sketchy but they do provide a general picture in order to determine standard

P

Pete

I think it would be very hard to compare the leagues across the world, as there are so many differences in the way the clubs are structured, whether there's salary caps or imported players restrictions, age restrictions etc..

The only leagues you could compare would be those with identical set ups - if there are two leagues that are the same in all aspects. But even then you'd have fluctuations in the quality of the games due to climatic conditions, and the state of the pitch and the stadia.

FWIW, ours is improving slightly from what I've seen over 3 seasons. The closeness of the comp last year made it appear a very even comp., but I suspect that if we had had another two teams in the comp. there would have been a dramatic gap between the first 5 or 6 teams and the also rans by mid season.

Jesus

Jesus
Spud said:
I think it would be very hard to compare the leagues across the world, as there are so many differences in the way the clubs are structured, whether there's salary caps or imported players restrictions, age restrictions etc..

The only leagues you could compare would be those with identical set ups - if there are two leagues that are the same in all aspects. But even then you'd have fluctuations in the quality of the games due to climatic conditions, and the state of the pitch and the stadia.

FWIW, ours is improving slightly from what I've seen over 3 seasons. The closeness of the comp last year made it appear a very even comp., but I suspect that if we had had another two teams in the comp. there would have been a dramatic gap between the first 5 or 6 teams and the also rans by mid season.

You dont have to compare like to like. If a team has a salary cap it is still only as good as it is. Why should it be ranked higher because it has one? If the mariners cant beat Suwon then we shouldnt be ranked above them. Salary cap/quotas affect how highly you could be ranked. But that doesnt mean you need special consideration. The team you have is the team you have. Whether it is for lack of money, salary cap, quota, scumville or whatever.

RADINHO

if the a-league is being ranked at a low standard you know craig foster is the analyst for this.

Omni

Elo rankings could be good, but you'd have to be working hard to measure it, and that would more be a ranking of clubs.

dibo

RADINHO said:
forzamariners said:
RADINHO said:
if the a-league is being ranked at a low standard you know craig foster is the analyst for this.
Or its a realistic measure

true last seasons football was better than this seasons

Radinho - I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

1. Foster bagging the league is responsible for the league being rated lowly.
2. The league was better this year than last.

I don't get your point.

On Forza's point - the league isn't an amazing standard, but this is a function of:
- poor quality development of domestic player up to now
- low quality imports
- salary cap.

The last one's the most important one. The market for footballers is open and international - good players can find a good price anywhere, and that's the market we're playing in when trying to sign players. The salaries that A-League clubs can offer are not large on the international stage, so we're not going to be able to compete with even League One clubs on salary terms. The quality of football is dependent of the quality of players. Therefore the football ain't great.

Solution?

Better development programs for young players and better coach education (already in the works), raise the salary cap (it's already happening, albeit incrementally), and then just let it develop over time.

RADINHO

dibo said:
RADINHO said:
forzamariners said:
RADINHO said:
Or its a realistic measure

true last seasons football was better than this seasons

Radinho - I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

1. Foster bagging the league is responsible for the league being rated lowly.
2. The league was better this year than last.

I don't get your point.

On Forza's point - the league isn't an amazing standard, but this is a function of:
- poor quality development of domestic player up to now
- low quality imports
- salary cap.

The last one's the most important one. The market for footballers is open and international - good players can find a good price anywhere, and that's the market we're playing in when trying to sign players. The salaries that A-League clubs can offer are not large on the international stage, so we're not going to be able to compete with even League One clubs on salary terms. The quality of football is dependent of the quality of players. Therefore the football ain't great.

Solution?

Better development programs for young players and better coach education (already in the works), raise the salary cap (it's already happening, albeit incrementally), and then just let it develop over time.

I do know what i was saying i was joking around with the Craig Foster remark.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred