• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Academy bands together to help out Troy Waters

JoyfulPenguin

Mariners Academy bands together to help out Troy Waters
ccma-troy-waters-golf-day_11gepglhn294e15aknqhpngbby.jpg

Tuesday, 17 May 2016-
@CCMariners
Last Monday the Central Coast Mariners Academy (CCMA) moved from the Football pitch to Gosford Golf Club to assist one of Australia’s boxing icons, Troy Waters who has been suffering since 2014 from a rare blood disease, acute myeloid leukaemia.
The children from the Coast banded together with many local businesses to raise $22,000 from the golf day to assist with Troy’s ongoing medical bills.

CCMA Director Ken Schembri confirmed “ Our Community and Club have banded together to assist this wonderful family in their time of need. Special mention should be made of Martin Vanderslot who led and worked tirelessly in this successful project."

Troy Waters was overwhelmed by the support and thanked everyone for helping his family.

Pictured above from left to right: Martin Vanderslot, Ken Schembri, Troy Waters and Shaun Mielekamp (Mariners' CEO).

Give the club a click: http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...hhoij69hlom1eqjvjlr8riv2#sthash.ztdG3XdR.dpuf

Wombat

This is sooo good!!!!

I dont know Troy but have met his big brother a few times and my son works with his other brother and they are the nicest people.

His wife is so humble and grateful to the people of the coast for their support.

Lovely people and i'm so proud that the Mariners could support them to such a huge extent.

Google Troy v Norris (at the time considered the best boxer in the world) to see such true Aussie grit.

Well done Mariners and God Bless you Troy and get well soon.

Wombat

Norris was considered unbeatable at the time and Waters was thrown in as cannon fodder.

Round 2 is one of the best you will ever see.....on a par with the Hagler v Hearns 3 Rd epic.

I rate Troy a better boxer than Jeff Fenech (same time period).

Last edited:

Wombat

Cafe,
Jeff Fenech is the most successful fighter we have ever produced but he did it with his incredible workrate, speed and aggression. He was not an especially gifted fighter.
Troy was more gifted and obviously Kostya was the pinnacle.
Jeff also fought at a lighter weight which was in his favour.

Troy won the NSW title in his 5th fight, The Aussie title in his 7th and the Commonwealth title in his 9th. Not too many Aussies win a commonwealth belt.
He had 28 fights...20 Knock Outs ...better than Fenech 33/ 21. He did lose 5 times but they were all title shots and to some legendary fighters Rosi (best Italian I can think of) Felix Trinidad, Terry Norris and Simon Brown.
He also beat Judas Clottey and Lonnie Beasley who were superb fighters.
All this from a kid from Kulnara on the Central Coast.
Fenech had the more illustrious career but Troy was a more talented fighter.

FFC Mariner

1/2 decent footballer too, they all were, Used to play with him and his brothers for a season.
Dean was security a CCS for a while too at one stage (5 years back?)

Wombat

Dean was a scary looking bugger but really nice when you talk to him. I also remember him at BT and shaking his hand.

Guy is a good bloke but intense and quite devout. My son reckons his handspeed is still really really impressive.

I dont know Troy but when I first came to Australia, he was the stand out technical boxer in the Country.

Back then all the best boxers in Australia were English...Troy, Barry Michaels and Lester Ellis.....which was of interest to a fresh new Pom.
I was in RNS hospital with either a broken hand or ankle (been there for both....) and was lucky the triage was so shit I got to watch the whole of the Ellis v Michaels fight for an IBF world title. Cracking fight.

I also watched Bruno v Tyson in the same hospital with a drip in my arm after a brush with death, that i was lucky enough to survive.

dibo

Anyone who makes their money being punched in the head is a bit special if you ask me.

Wombat

Dibo,
Its not everyone's cup of tea.
Its pretty addictive though...................and even if you just hit a bag the cardio is fantastic.
My brother in law thought i was an idiot when i took up Muay Thai at 24yo but he came along and won a state title after I packed it in (due to women and having fun)
These days, if you have talent, you can make some serious coin out of it. My old trainer won the Aussie heavyweight title in perth and only got $1500 for it. (smart enough not to defend it!!) I was not impressed but he thought it was easy money (free flights, accom and a few drinks?).
Having said that my son is very talented but I dont want him fighting.
If you want to win a National title you are going to face some very hard people......i dont think its worth it. Facial and potential brain damage...same as both Rugbies.

dibo

The brain damage but is the bit that really worries me. Anthony Mundine (for example) was always dumb as a box of rocks but he sounds like he slurs his speech now, which isn't a great sign for him, long term.

Wombat

Mundine v Green 2 was a travesty. Terrible fight but Mundine was clearly the winner.
The undercard was disgraceful. Kostya's son was matched with an accountant and Quade Cooper fought a fat 5ft 2in 15yo who struggled to even hold his hands up.

Big Al

Mundine v Green 2 was a travesty. Terrible fight but Mundine was clearly the winner.
The undercard was disgraceful. Kostya's son was matched with an accountant and Quade Cooper fought a fat 5ft 2in 15yo who struggled to even hold his hands up.
The first fight in their prime was boring chess match, wasn't going to waste my time with them way over the hill.

The highlights this morning show the only good hits where the cheap shots.

The plasterer against Cooper, come on seriously how can this be allowed.

No wonder boxing has gone to shit, mismatched fights terrible judging

The only winners were there pockets and the pubs

Wombat

I watched a good Koori boxer fight this morning over in England. Quilan shocked Australia to spark out Daniel Geale and this was his first defence of his IBO belt. Quinlan fought Chris Eubank Junior.
A very good fight and Quinlan was tough as and hung in until the ref stopped it in the 10th round. Unfortunately Eubank is very talented and lighting fast and won every single round. But it was a determined effort but the Aussie, who has never fought anyone of this calibre before.

marinermick

Really awful blood cancer to get. There is so much progress being made in treating many of them but progress with AML is still slow. The five year survival rate is only 25%, even after treatment.

RIP.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami