• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

National Youth League Fixtures and Mariners youth team discussion

Big Al

I hope we haven’t shot ourselves in the foot as a club by pushing for this young NPL 1 side.

It seems maybe a directive to keep selling and cycling these young players before they even get a game in the aleague.
Eg. Pavlesic

As the European clubs want their youth and recruitment even younger so the up and coming hit their peak value at 21/22/23 years old and they can cash in larger for a more sustainable model.
And it seems the game of football has turned a corner being faster and so many competitions that a calm headed 21/22/23 are worth their weight in gold.

However you still need a leader and the loss of Windust and Bayliss without having 2/3 new leaders with a season or 2 under the belt to steer the Acadamy team may be a problem.

We have done so well to be a destination for youth getting their shot but will deter a lot if we end up slipping back to NPL2 again.
Unless we have an exceptional crop like Nizzy, Hall etc that want to stay together.

When does the NPL season end vs the Aleague?

And is only Brandtmann that will be a swing between Acadamy & aleague?
Maybe but at least we play them in the A League. Di Pizzo and Brantman (he wasn’t great tonight).

Although most clubs are copying now

As you say the best teenagers in the world are already playing top flight football.

Also we only need 2 or 3 a year to make it because the A League squad doesn’t have a lot of room.

I don’t think the club are worried about going down but if they were they could play a few of the A League lads to stay up.

Paull needs games
Wilson needs games
Kovallvic has come back? He needs games
Sasha when back from injury needs games
Alou even.

I don’t think we will do that but we could if survival was a must

Stuartmcateer

It might be being used a lot but it's still in better nick than the others - Blacktown has hill and city plus it's a soccer 5 complex almost every night.

Despite the use it would be a better surface than grass pitches like mt Druitt and the like.

pjennings

I hope we haven’t shot ourselves in the foot as a club by pushing for this young NPL 1 side.

It seems maybe a directive to keep selling and cycling these young players before they even get a game in the aleague.
Eg. Pavlesic

As the European clubs want their youth and recruitment even younger so the up and coming hit their peak value at 21/22/23 years old and they can cash in larger for a more sustainable model.
And it seems the game of football has turned a corner being faster and so many competitions that a calm headed 21/22/23 are worth their weight in gold.

However you still need a leader and the loss of Windust and Bayliss without having 2/3 new leaders with a season or 2 under the belt to steer the Acadamy team may be a problem.

We have done so well to be a destination for youth getting their shot but will deter a lot if we end up slipping back to NPL2 again.
Unless we have an exceptional crop like Nizzy, Hall etc that want to stay together.

How many will be in the NPL next year? Will it still be 16? If Apia, Marconi, Sydney Olympic, Sydney United & Wollongong Wolves go to the NST will they also be in the NSW NPL?

Did the club deliberately go with a younger side knowing they will survive because 5 teams will be leaving and an extra season this year will stand the young side in good stead next season?

I have no idea of what the plans are for the NST and NPL and their relationship next season.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

How many will be in the NPL next year? Will it still be 16? If Apia, Marconi, Sydney Olympic, Sydney United & Wollongong Wolves go to the NST will they also be in the NSW NPL?

Did the club deliberately go with a younger side knowing they will survive because 5 teams will be leaving and an extra season this year will stand the young side in good stead next season?

I have no idea of what the plans are for the NST and NPL and there relationship next season.
Sutherland will be worse than us. Just.
We won't go down

JoyfulPenguin

Caught the replay after watching Wanderers vs Western, Niyonkuru is exciting and direct and Cher Deng looks a good prospect. Got overrun in midfield and looked fairly toothless. I don't think we were as bad as the scoreline suggests but the complete lapse in defensive concentration was a bit concerning.

priorpeter

Made the trip down. Always love visiting Rockdale, great little stadium and facility there but the pitch, in spite of being one of the better synthetic surfaces in Sydney, is still a synthetic surface. Not a fan, neither are most of the players (or physios!).
Nearly ended up on co-comms with Molchey (who I honestly think is the best caller of the game in NSW at this level), but the allure of the bar and cevapi rolls was far too tempting!

Should have been 2 or 3 up at HT. Sydney came out like a house on fire in the second half and we absolutely fell to bits.
Why Smyth passed in that 1v1 situation in the second half instead of shooting is beyond me. Chance to bring it back to 3-2 and game on.
Niyonkuru is a f**kin talent and a half. I also like the cut of Menham’s jib - raw as but potential there. Cher Deng another one who I believe will make the step up.

Last edited:

priorpeter

They seem like a reasonably tight-knit group for a team that’s (for the most part) only been together a few months. Watched the 20s game with them at pluim last week and some good banter flying around.
I wholeheartedly agree that letting both baylisses and windy go was a mistake though. Feel for Jimmy Bayliss as he came off 35 mins into his debut for his new club with another shoulder issue, this time requiring surgery. Kid is a talent and is the most 2 footed player I’ve ever seen, but has had an absolute horror run with injuries.

NPL season runs until the end of august (finals in September).

Sash and Nico Duarte are due back for round 9 in April v Sydney Olympic - to be played at CCS.

priorpeter

Maybe but at least we play them in the A League. Di Pizzo and Brantman (he wasn’t great tonight).

Although most clubs are copying now

As you say the best teenagers in the world are already playing top flight football.

Also we only need 2 or 3 a year to make it because the A League squad doesn’t have a lot of room.

I don’t think the club are worried about going down but if they were they could play a few of the A League lads to stay up.

Paull needs games
Wilson needs games
Kovallvic has come back? He needs games
Sasha when back from injury needs games
Alou even.

I don’t think we will do that but we could if survival was a must
Paull, Wilson, Kasalovic, and Alou have not been registered for NPL so would need to wait for the mid-season window (in June) before they can be registered and play. Kasalovic is a puzzling one for me - I rate the kid super highly but he was told he was free to go and find another club, he said he would stay and fight to prove his worth, and then they didn’t register him for NPL. Baffling. Would love to see him playing next to Scicluna.
As I mentioned above, sash and Nico Duarte are will be back in early April so hopefully that gives some extra leadership and guidance for these kids.

Rising Sun

Niyonkuru is a f**kin talent and a half
He is a freak - just needs to learn the defensive side of his role - and how to fall over. He was very smart to win the penalty but twice more he was clipped in the area but instead of finding the grass he fought to stay on his feet.
Kasalovic is a puzzling one for me
Its a bold gamble throwing so many young ones in, but I suppose it is good that the likes of Windust, Larson, Segreto and J Bayliss have the opportunity to go earn some decent money if we have decided we don't see a long term future for them, rather than stringing them along for another season just to give us some experience. But if someone like Maksim says he is willing to fight for a place then we should be jumping at that for his experience and leadership.

I like Scicluna and I think he is a prospect - great tekkers - but he would benefit from having Kasalovic alongside him. And if iirc, the equalizer last night came when our right FB somehow finished up in a left AM position and we turned over. Sydney immediately attacked down our right, we hadn't covered for him and were immediately stretched. There were a few culpable for not realising we were out of shape (including the coach tbf who was on that side) but I reckon Maksim would have picked it and adjusted or called someone else and Sydney don't get that goal.

priorpeter

Good win. Any reason they played on the front pitch Pete?
Was always scheduled for the front pitch, I thought there may have been CCF association cup on the main pitch but nothing on when I got there. Disappointing they didn’t shift it to main pitch but my guess is CCF are looking to preserve the front pitch with a bit of traffic on there over the coming weeks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred