• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

New Owners?

midfielder

Our cough cough cough friends at SBS are pouring cold water on the deal or at least suggesting nothing tangible is happening and MC is still looking for a new buyer and intends to continue to fund and run the club if a new buyer is not found prior to the season starting....

pjennings

Our cough cough cough friends at SBS are pouring cold water on the deal or at least suggesting nothing tangible is happening and MC is still looking for a new buyer and intends to continue to fund and run the club if a new buyer is not found prior to the season starting....

Mike said he was selling but he also said to the right person. Shaun confirmed this and has said as much on the podcast and elsewhere. The delay in signings seems to be more related to nailing down the CBA, the salary cap and the salary floor.

The other interesting quote was

Existing kit sponsor MATE are interested in taking a staged stake in the club.

The Australian-owned and operated telco provider recently partnered with former Mariners goalkeeper and current Socceroo Mat Ryan, and are looking at ways of boosting brand recognition.

Last edited:

crock

i hope we remain on coast it would be devestating if we ended up relocating or folding

Ancient Mariner

Anti-vaxxer, far right Trump lover.

I am getting that guy feeling as well.
A worry if true. Being an anti-vaxxer it demonstrates ignorance and an inability to understand science or do basic arithmetic.
Being a Trump lover is also a worry which indicates self centredness and a lack of empathy.

However, scratch the surface of any multi millionaire who owns or can afford to own a football club and in the majority of cases you will find someone of the far right with a lot under the surface not to like.

There are exceptions but they tend to put their excess dollars into charitable trusts and not football teams unless they are football tragics, and they are scarce.

As long as any potential owner keeps the team on the Coast and does not rip us off, I think it is better for peace of mind not to look too closely at their beliefs or politics.

marinermick

A worry if true. Being an anti-vaxxer it demonstrates ignorance and an inability to understand science or do basic arithmetic.
Being a Trump lover is also a worry which indicates self centredness and a lack of empathy.

However, scratch the surface of any multi millionaire who owns or can afford to own a football club and in the majority of cases you will find someone of the far right with a lot under the surface not to like.

There are exceptions but they tend to put their excess dollars into charitable trusts and not football teams unless they are football tragics, and they are scarce.

As long as any potential owner keeps the team on the Coast and does not rip us off, I think it is better for peace of mind not to look too closely at their beliefs or politics.

i tend to agree with this, especially as his Spanish club has a far left active support, but there are also murmurings that the financial side of things don’t stack up as reported.

marinermick

There wouldn't be too many Trump loving Muslims would there?

Plenty of far right anti-vax ones though. I have a few as Facebook friends.

Never understood how the teachings of Jesus and Muhammad aligned with far right ideologies over the centuries.

But that is probably a debate for another thread.

greenlig

https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/central-coast/news/2020/10/mariners-may-have-a-new-owner/

Abdul just shared this on LinkedIn.

The possibility that the owner of a former La Liga football club will take over the Central Coast Mariners has come one step closer, with talks reportedly reaching final stages with the FFA.

Sydney-based businessman, Abdul Helou, is set to purchase the club and its associated property after it was put up for sale back in August by Mariners Chairman, Mike Charlesworth.

No new details have been released as they are currently going through finals legalities and FFA approvals.

Helou said he had big plans to develop the club and the Centre of Excellence at Tuggerah.

“We have huge plans for the Centre of Excellence with additional resources in planning, so we heavily rely on Council supporting our journey,” Helou said.

“It obviously means hundreds more jobs are created, more money poured into local businesses and the community.”

Mariners-AbdulP-CCN263-1024x576.jpg
The Mariners Centre of Excellence at Tuggerah.
Helou is not new to the football world, owning stakes in former Spanish La Liga club, Rayo Vallecano.

He has looked at and negotiated with three other A-league clubs but said he settled on the Central Coast Mariners because of their potential.

“None had the fiscal potential and growth potential surrounding community engagement and support,” Helou said.

“The community that stands behind Central Coast Mariners during its golden years are like no other.

“We are in desperate need of some silverware, several overseas players, and to gain the respect the Central Coast needs.

“I believe, once we reshape the business, inject the necessary funding, the obvious growth and wins will follow through.”

Corsair

A whole lot of nothing much so far, let's hope the council come to the party. For me the best sign to date of some faith is Birra signing, hoping we can read into that decision that he's been given reassurances we won't fold and there are brighter times ahead.

Cheque book at the ready for a season ticket when the new owner shows up and a mate who'll be a new member ready to sign up too. I think the community will come back for a new owner.

midfielder

I am prepared to accept the article at face value.

Assuming the council come on board and given their meeting to keep the Mariners on the Coast ... maybe we can assume its a process now ... I hope so anyway.

BUT BUT BUT, given he wants to keep the team on the Coast, and he wants to takeover the CEO, and that he wants to improve the CEO... and he is Australian, and although he lives in Sydney he is close enough to be involved... it ticks a lot of boxes especially if you consider the state of the league and at this stage FFA have not released what funding they will give the clubs..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred