• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Paramount coverage 2021/2022

Tevor

If that’s what’s required the service will fail. They’ve got to get it sorted and simple in quick order. I wouldn’t put it past them giving everyone a free month next month (or adding a month to the sub term for 12m users) if it isn’t turned around by this weekend.

And that’s just talking about the steam nevermind pause, rewind, start over, etc
1,000%; I haven't had major issues however when you read social media people are just giving up and not going to watch so it's an epic fail. It needs to be simple to use and easy to access or its not acceptable. I hope the APL had a good contract in place but then again CBS are handing over the $$$.

I think someone mentioned it a while ago, they really should have used the early Cup games as test runs.

I'm genuinely concerned for the sport itself as we don't need everyday people being turned away because it's just too hard to watch on TV.

FFC Mariner

On a tablet, laptop, fetchbox or via Chromecast (with Android TV built in) it works fine for meif it isn't NBN could it be hardware related?

turbo

The first question is what do you define as fine? Is it equal smoothness and quality as foxtel or kayo? I can watch just fine but the smoothness is not where it needs to be overall and at times is quite jarring, sometimes to a point of making the game unenjoyable. Picture quality itself isnt bad in most cases. But if you watch the Sydney full game or mini match the motion is still garbage for example.

Other issues like crashing could well be hardware dependent. In some instances watching on a small screen masks those faults too because the details are smaller. I dont notice most of those things on an ipad or phone but if i cast it from the ipad to the TV it's very obvious though I dont do that often because my TV has android tv built in.

There has been some analysis of the stream in the paramount thread on whirlpool if you're interested in the technicalities.

@Insertnamehere - does Kodi let you pause, rewind or start over?

Insertnamehere

The first question is what do you define as fine? Is it equal smoothness and quality as foxtel or kayo? I can watch just fine but the smoothness is not where it needs to be overall and at times is quite jarring, sometimes to a point of making the game unenjoyable. Picture quality itself isnt bad in most cases. But if you watch the Sydney full game or mini match the motion is still garbage for example.

Other issues like crashing could well be hardware dependent. In some instances watching on a small screen masks those faults too because the details are smaller. I dont notice most of those things on an ipad or phone but if i cast it from the ipad to the TV it's very obvious though I dont do that often because my TV has android tv built in.

There has been some analysis of the stream in the paramount thread on whirlpool if you're interested in the technicalities.

I'll double check and let you know next round.

Curiously the replays and minis are at a much lower datarate which results in HD that isnt as clear or stable. So I noticed on match day there were datarates up to 15mpbs 1920*1080 with h.265. Whereas the replays are maxed at 5mbps 1920*1080 with h.264. I have no idea how much of an impact that had but I ran it at max data and it was the best image I've seen sport run on before. Someone will know what that all means better than I.

Fast forward, rewind and pause work but it won't let you skip to a specific time.

Tevor

Exactly, looks great on a PC or small screen. Put it on my 60 inch and it makes you feel like you need glasses. Definitely the frame rate as only blurs when there is a lot going on or fast movements.

scottmac

Suspended
Is this not the first major sport that is solely dependant on internet streaming? Isn't this country devoid of the infrastructure to provide quality streaming right across the nation? Head outside and lift your closest Telstra pit (don't do that) and you'll see what type of cabling that's providing you if it's not entirely submerged in water right now. I've got 5g phone reception where I am currently getting anywhere from 100 to 200mbps. Plus I've got around 50m of copper from the fibre node for my nbn. It makes a massive difference. The house before this one had over 200m of copper and it was such a disaster of a line that houses along the street would be falling off all the time.
The sound the other night isn't explainable and I'm sure they've got teething issues but blue rings and poor quality can be put down to internet quality.
My 75" Sony through the paramount app is great. So is my 55" Samsung through the Samsung internet app. If anything the ball jumps a bit on long passes.

Last edited:

turbo

The sound the other night isn't explainable and I'm sure they've got teething issues but blue rings and poor quality can be put down to internet quality.
I’ve got FTTP. Zero issues with any other service. Work in IT so know my way around this stuff we’ll enough. The majority of complaints aren’t user issues. And if the service works perfectly under the most optimal conditions (Like Apple TV box + 100/40 internet) then it’s still a platform failure because you shouldn’t need that to get a decent level of service.

scottmac

Suspended
I’ve got FTTP. Zero issues with any other service. Work in IT so know my way around this stuff we’ll enough. The majority of complaints aren’t user issues. And if the service works perfectly under the most optimal conditions (Like Apple TV box + 100/40 internet) then it’s still a platform failure because you shouldn’t need that to get a decent level of service.
Your fttp is still user dependant though. How far are you from the exchange? Is there a node in-between? If the exchange/node isn't capable to handle the traffic it services (which is the case for many many fttp communities especially in peak usage hours) it doesn't matter how fast it can get from there to your home, you'll not get the service advertised and in some instances worse than the old adsl. Football is mostly broadcast (can you even say it's being broadcast anymore?) during peak usage hours. Im not saying they don't have issues they obviously do. But this is definitely something that will be contributing to the issues.

turbo

There’s no way it’s congestion causing the same issues so consistently across different time slots and while other services and speed tests are fine. Being a live game you might expect dips if that were the case but not across a 2 hour broadcast. I agree that streaming adds a layer of complexity and another fault point but dealing with that is part of having a successful product.

Tevor

What I find interesting is I can watch the first half with no buffering and then at half time the adds buffer like crazy. I have good internet access and still experience the odd problems.

Pirate Pete

If you've got a modicum of computer nouse, its worth getting kodi then using the p+ add-on created by Matt huisman. It gives you the option for what data rate rather than HD or SD. Using the actual 1080p stream, the image was perfect.
Thanks. I might have a go at this.
I've got an old android box I might blow the dust off and see how it goes.

FFC Mariner

Thanks. I might have a go at this.
I've got an old android box I might blow the dust off and see how it goes.
Also for the newer Chromecast with Android TV inbuilt.

Also, you can not stream Kodi content to Chromecast from an iOS device, so we will only be talking about Android devices for this method. sorry iSheep :)

Pirate Pete

Also for the newer Chromecast with Android TV inbuilt.

Also, you can not stream Kodi content to Chromecast from an iOS device, so we will only be talking about Android devices for this method. sorry iSheep :)
I've got a Fire Stick that works perfectly and I really don't want to f**k around with that.
The little Android box I have has been sitting on a shelf for 2 or 3 years.
It might not even be new enough to work for this.
But if I brick it or f**k it up I don't care.

And as for things beginning with i..........
icon_mad.gif
spaz.gif

Corsair

There’s no way it’s congestion causing the same issues so consistently across different time slots and while other services and speed tests are fine. Being a live game you might expect dips if that were the case but not across a 2 hour broadcast. I agree that streaming adds a layer of complexity and another fault point but dealing with that is part of having a successful product.
Yeah it's not contention, I'm on a business plan which puts me ahead of the neighbors in the contention stakes and I only have streaming issues with this service, nothing else ever buffers, even 4K youtube/Netflix.

I think Paramount just haven't bought enough bandwidth and/or got enough horsepower at the source. Whatever infrastructure NetFlix and Kayo are using, probably both running scalable workloads from AWS or Azure, P+ needs to do the same. It is a cheap service, however I'd rather pay more and have it work properly.

turbo

its the framerate, i cant say this enough times.

1080p looks the same to everyone but 1080p30 or 1080p60 or 1080p25 are all COMPLETELY different and most people will barely tell whereas others are more susceptible to framerates
Some using Kodi on whirlpool were saying they were getting 50 fps streams but it was like every 2nd frame was the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred