• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 2 v Fire Chickens

Michael

Thought the match deserved to be a draw
Nix first goal had so much luck about it, pretty unfortunate. Birra tried to milk the foul and some refs do give them.
Lads didn’t play bad. Marco made me eat my words from last week… or maybe he saw my words. Niz was actually effective out wide.
I look forward to the cup game now. We have a greatly underrated squad and will do well this season.

Ancient Mariner

I have now watched the replay and can correct some of my opinions from the earlier post.
Storm was not really poor, apart from too many misdirected passes. I just feel that he does not provide the threat an attacking fullback should. Does not seem to have the speed to do overlapping runs the way Miller can. He can cross better than Miller. The position is up for grabs.
Tongyik made more mistakes than I first thought. Many of them were covered by Rowles, but in the end he seemed to lose timing as well. I suspect as the commentators called it, the attacker may have been on his blind side for the penalty. They can do better and I feel comfortable with hall filling in if Tongyik needs some time to find form/fitness.
Farrell was bloody good again. A cruel deflection off his lg for their second.
Nizzy was much better in both halves than I initially thought and now think he is pushing Marco for MOM.
I do not understand the complaints for Ollie's shots. Most of them were quality. It was just late in the game that they became scrappy, understandable.
Ballard was good and competent as was Steel. I would however like a little bit more attack to come out of midfield as well as more in the face pressure in defence.
Cy was very good and better than I thought. I think he is a little unsure and maybe finding his feet in this league. I suspect we will see more as the season progresses and he builds understanding with those around him.
After watching the replay I thought Tsekenis was very good. Like Cy when the understandings develop he is going to cause defences serious upsets.
I think my wraps on Moresche were a little bit extreme as some of the things that impressed me were actually Matt Hatch. I loved the way he initially controlled that log diagonal ball late in the game. A shame he subsequently got the next touch under his foot. He provided the spark that was needed the end.

What did impress me was the combinations among Nizz, Marco and Miller late in the game. When these combinations develop across the entire front third we will see what Monty is trying to build. I think we have the players to do this.

Much happier now than I was on the drive home.

Ozhammer

We saw some of the Nix boys while having breakfast this morning and they said if was a tough game in which they were fortunate to get the win. They appreciated the support from us in Newcastle and reckoned we would go okay this season based on yesterday’s game. Callan Elliot tore his shoulder ligament in his collision with Farrell, so looks like being out for a while.

Last edited:

scottmac

Suspended
I have now watched the replay and can correct some of my opinions from the earlier post.
Storm was not really poor, apart from too many misdirected passes. I just feel that he does not provide the threat an attacking fullback should. Does not seem to have the speed to do overlapping runs the way Miller can. He can cross better than Miller. The position is up for grabs.
Tongyik made more mistakes than I first thought. Many of them were covered by Rowles, but in the end he seemed to lose timing as well. I suspect as the commentators called it, the attacker may have been on his blind side for the penalty. They can do better and I feel comfortable with hall filling in if Tongyik needs some time to find form/fitness.
Farrell was bloody good again. A cruel deflection off his lg for their second.
Nizzy was much better in both halves than I initially thought and now think he is pushing Marco for MOM.
I do not understand the complaints for Ollie's shots. Most of them were quality. It was just late in the game that they became scrappy, understandable.
Ballard was good and competent as was Steel. I would however like a little bit more attack to come out of midfield as well as more in the face pressure in defence.
Cy was very good and better than I thought. I think he is a little unsure and maybe finding his feet in this league. I suspect we will see more as the season progresses and he builds understanding with those around him.
After watching the replay I thought Tsekenis was very good. Like Cy when the understandings develop he is going to cause defences serious upsets.
I think my wraps on Moresche were a little bit extreme as some of the things that impressed me were actually Matt Hatch. I loved the way he initially controlled that log diagonal ball late in the game. A shame he subsequently got the next touch under his foot. He provided the spark that was needed the end.

What did impress me was the combinations among Nizz, Marco and Miller late in the game. When these combinations develop across the entire front third we will see what Monty is trying to build. I think we have the players to do this.

Much happier now than I was on the drive home.
I'm in the same boat in regards to Hatch. Just watched the replay and alot of what he did I thought was Moresche first time round. I was too harsh saying his sub killed the game.

booney

I'm in the same boat in regards to Hatch. Just watched the replay and alot of what he did I thought was Moresche first time round. I was too harsh saying his sub killed the game.
Yep I wondered why people were critical of Hatch.I thought he really worried the Nix defence when he came on-he was direct and quick.At this stage a good sub not a starting player but time will tell.

Moresche and Goddard have skills but may take a few more games to gel with the team.Nizzie looked very good on the wing-combined well with Roux in the first half and particularly well with Miller.

Farrell has a good engine and looks like it will be difficult for Noah Smith to displace him.

Melange

That game showed why it's good to have some kilometres in the legs. Ruon was great last week but seemed laboured yesterday.

Good, even game, I think we had a few more genuine chances.

Is it just me or are refs erring on the side of not calling fouls this season? All the games I've watched have had much better flow than previous seasons.

Ozhammer

I think refs have been asked to let games flow and VAR is getting there slowly but the review delays were definitely longer this week compared to last weekend. I am hearing that P- don’t have enough cameras at grounds to allow the same level of analysis, so that may have something to do with it?

turbo

I am hearing that P- don’t have enough cameras at grounds to allow the same level of analysis, so that may have something to do with it?
That’s definitely not right. There are more cameras at every game than there was last season on fox. Some teething issues perhaps and we aren’t getting the view we used to of the VAR reviews which is making the delays far more obvious.

Ozhammer

If that’s the case, then how do you explain the Jest getting dudded for the ball clearly having crossed the line in their FFA cup defeat and Pain’s cross for DWH’s goal being allowed to stand?

FFC Mariner

Physics says its almost impossible for Pain to hook a ball that's out to be curling to the near post.
I think there was enough doubt to make it not an obvious error (which VAR is supposed to be)
We have suffered in the past from it being used as a 5th official.
That was never it's intent

Tevor

If that’s the case, then how do you explain the Jest getting dudded for the ball clearly having crossed the line in their FFA cup defeat and Pain’s cross for DWH’s goal being allowed to stand?
No VAR in cup games so that decision comes down to the assistant alone who on replay was not in a great position. They should be showing the VAR's view on those decisions (Pain) otherwise we jump to these conclusions. Replays of critical moments have been poor by P- for the first 2 rounds. Just another thing they need to address.

turbo

No VAR in the cup & for WU maybe the ball was ever so slightly in or not enough of a margin for hawkeye to call it offside. Could also be a technical issue but not related to the number of cameras.

marinermick

Physics says its almost impossible for Pain to hook a ball that's out to be curling to the near post.
I think there was enough doubt to make it not an obvious error (which VAR is supposed to be)

This.

The ball was hit with the inside of the foot. If the ball did go out it would have had to curl around the post, curl again to run along the line, hitting the opposite post parallel so it came straight back along the line.

Physics impossibility.

style_cafe

Didn`t hit the far post?... :popcorn:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami