• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Souths to relocate to Gosford?

Would you support a league team on the Coast?

• NO - CCM Forever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Only OUR team - not an existing one simply relocating

• Yes - Any club that chooses to relocate here

• Total voters

northernspirit

I was looking for this topic in the nrl threads on here but noone seems to be discussing it so hence the new thread. What do people feel about this? I would  hate to see the NRL up here, go away thugby league

FFC Mariner

As they have a 10year deal with ANZ stadium, highly unlikely. This is just singo being opportunistic.

Other threads have details

northernspirit

mmm ok, however theres more than 1 team in financial trouble hey... seems to be whenever there is a whinge in rugby league circles the first thing they do is threaten to move to the coast like we are the worst case scenario, using the region as a puppet for their own selfish agenda... i hope people up here dont fall for these dirty tricks if a team ever moves up here

midfielder

Just read a story in the telie where Peter Home a Court said Souths lost 4.5 million last year.

IMO the NRL cannot keep all those teams in Sydney and the first to be going under will put up there hand and move. So within two maybe three at the outside a Sydney based NRL team will move to the coast.

Could be interesting over in the CCLC, if they have a league team to support as well how much will still come our way and how much extra could be found for a new league team

Penrith9103

F*** off Souths.
This is Mariners Country !!!!
A change of name and location is not going to be a recipe for success.
Take your useless players and head back to extinction where you belong.

trev

Central coast is Mariners country as said b4, but as a fan of NRL as well (a mariners fan more) i do not see an NRL team moving up to the coast and starting a new franchise look at what happened to the bears when they moved up here and they had no codes to compete with and they still couldn't get a franchise of the ground, how are they going to go now competing with the mariners, there is no way this would happen.

john_kowolski

As the topic of the post suggests..pretty simple - South Sydney are considfering taking the NRL's $10m carrot and moving to the Coast.

IT WON'T WORK. People won't get behind the team, or any other for that matter. Souths won't fully be on the Coast and will be more like the Rays from last year's rugby thing (i.e. do nothing on, or for the coast)

The coast is now Mariners heartland. They have managed to become a part of our community, and as such, will always remain number one. With average crowds of 10,000 in V3, I think within a few years we can be looking at 16,000 for averages, with many sell outs.

So, would you support a relocated NRL Team, or an 'original' Central Coast team???

stezac

The problem is that a team like souths ( who cant win a game were ever they play) will be forced to move to the coast when it is to late. Then coast will be blamed for another failed team. Much the same as the Northern eagles debarcle. I always said that I would support any team that is from the coast. With northern Eagles my son and I went to all the home games bought all the gear for what.
The Mariners are our team, started here and remain here. Thats why fans are loyal and fan base is still growing. Rock on the new season.

Ted

I'll be the odd one out here and state I'd support a coast based NRL team seeing as it is the off season to the HAL. I have followed league since i was 5 yo and won't chage that anytime soon. BUT if it's not my beloved Bulldogs relocating here then it would have to be OUR OWN TEAM or I'd have little to no interest in the idea. This would be the same for any NRL fan and their chosen team, so to be honest I can't see it working out.

It's obvious the NRL is struggling to survive though and crowd numbers have been nothing short of dismal.

Sym

My rents tell Me there are a lot of Souths fans up here so maybe that is another factor to move here

fish

where were they last week??

i actually think if they moved here lock stock and barrel theyd go well.The Coast is a massive league town regardless of what we think.

Sym

They could co-exist with the Ners
like fire and water, george and saddam, bear and kareem
You get My point

Sym

And uhhh come on a souths fan has a lot of options on a Saturday night instead of going to the league  :grouphug: :popo: :redcard: :tv:

midfielder

From Fox sports

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23768078-23214,00.html

Souths going nowhere

By Steve Jancetic

May 27, 2008

THE possibility of South Sydney re-locating to the Central Coast appears remote after Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson said any move away from Redfern was in the hands of the club's members.

Back at the helm following Peter Holmes a Court's decision to stand down as executive chairman, Richardson was forced into damage control after club patriarch George Piggins put forward a rescue package for the club which included a move to Gosford.

But Richardson hosed down any talk of the club pulling out of Redfern.

Neither George, nor Peter Holmes a Court, nor Russell Crowe has the right to move the Rabbitohs, Richardson told Sydney radio station 2KY.

The only people under the article of the association of the club who have that right are the members - they still have that right.

If the members get together and call an AGM to vote on the fact to move the club to the Central Coast, which I've got to say is highly unlikely, then we worry about the Central Coast.

I respect George and always have done. The reality is it's not going to happen.

There was little doubt about how the members felt with the club's fan forum, which is only available to members, calling for Piggins to stay away from the club.

The Rabbitohs, like most Sydney NRL clubs, are in dire straits financially. It prompted Holmes a Court, in what was one of his last acts as executive chairman, to say he could not guarantee the club's future.

Piggins' proposal involved him putting forward $3 million to buy the club off Holmes a Court and Crowe, on the proviso the club then moved to the Central Coast and the $3 million was returned to him out of the $8 million grant offered by the NRL for re-location.

Members described the idea as disgusting, the general feel of the topic summed up in one response which read:

Any relocation to Gosford would mean losing our identity. There is no way we would remain the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Maybe at first, but sooner or later we would be the Central Coast Rabbitohs or the Central Coast something. Souths would be no more. You go to Gosford, you lose me and thousands of other supporters.

Piggins denied he was keen to get involved in the club again.

I'd help try to get it to Gosford but I'm out of it now, Piggins said. I have no intention of going back.

There was little comment from players with injured halfback Craig Wing forced to sum up the mood of the squad.

New football consultant John Lang was not on hand at the training session, and there is still some doubt over his exact role with the club.

Wing, heralded as the club's saviour after returning to the club this season only to be injured in the opening minutes of the club's first match, admitted the club was at a low.

But he denied it had anything to do with off-field distractions.

Obviously the performance on the field and where we're coming and all the losses is affecting us ... but in regards to what's happening with the management of the club and the structure hasn't really affected us at all because we've got no control over it, Wing said.

As hard as it is for all the fans it's just as hard for us because it's actually embarrassing for us where we are on the ladder and we're doing everything we can to change that.

By no means are we going to let what's happening at the club or the structure of the club be an excuse of where we are on the field - it's a weak, easy way out.

Despite taking part in training Wing is still a few weeks away from a return to action.

His absence was again evident as the coach Jason Taylor named yet another new halves pairing for Sunday's match against St George Illawarra with George Ndaira the new No.7 alongside Dean Widders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred