• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

the forum

BAD BULLZ

Hey sorry guys whats happening
Is the old forum still around?
how do i get to it?
why is it changeing ?
etc
sorry just trying to figure out whats doing.

Bear

HI MELSY :):):) Hows things??? Have not spoken to you in ages

New forum. Old one will be gone soon enough

Deej

The plan is to get this forum up and running to replace the old 1, we advertise .net heaps and it's not getting enough content due to lack of contributors, plus the proboards 1 IMO anyway looks old and we could do with an update

kevrenor

DJ said:
The plan is to get this forum up and running to replace the old 1, we advertise .net heaps and it's not getting enough content due to lack of contributors, plus the proboards 1 IMO anyway looks old and we could do with an update
Well DJ, I will be very interested to hear about this 'plan'. It is news to me.

I was paid the courtesy of being informed this was being released yesterday but I have not been involved and have had no discussion with anyone about replacing the Mariners Fans Forum. 

This action and forum at present is purely Marinators Club committee business.

I am sure that some dialogue will now be opened on this proposition and how and whether it can or should happen and all the issues that arise - as it is now public.

I will not add any more to this here but I had to clarify your public comment.

Chris Dunkerley
Kevrenor
Ongoing Mariners Fans Forum - http://ccmfc.proboards25.com

Jeff (LouMacari)

Chris, I understand your concern. It has always been 'the plan' to have a united fans website that incorporated all things 'Mariners Supporters'. From the day that marinators.net started, topics like 'should the current discussion forum at proboards be simply linked to from the marinators site (as it has been so far), or have its own discussion board on here, or have proboards somehow 'wrapped' within marinators.net' have been discussed by many people.
Nothing was done about that as things were working quite well but at the end of the day, it was still 2 separate sites.

Moving forward, if we want to have an online merchant area for marinator merchandise, up to date current info, important notices for marinators club members etc. the fans must be using the site on a daily basis and whilst numerous people have been invited to contribute content to keep this site up to date (yourself included), they just aren't doing it with any regularity, thus leaving it to a handful of the same people all the time contributing and whilst their efforts are appreciated, everyone should be able to have an input.
This board isn't a replacement for the proboards discussion forum but an attempt to get more people on here on a regular basis and that is why it has not been publicly announced as such, but left to see who registers and who doesn't. Those that want to use it will do so and those that don't won't.

This format to marinators.net will also allow for a 'marinators club' members only section (something I have discussed with you in the past) and has an intergrated calendar which will have all mariners related activities listed which is something that Adz has been trying to do on marinators.net for a while but unable to (for various reasons, time being the major one)

Ultimately, no one can make the decision which board will be used except the fans and if they don't want to use this then fine, but it is still a much better way for marinators.net admin to get out all the info it wants to get out in an interactive manner and in a way that obviously the fans like.

Hopefully that has clarified some grey areas for you  (and possibly others)?

Gigantor

Jeff (LouMacari) said:
Chris, I understand your concern. It has always been 'the plan' to have a united fans website that incorporated all things 'Mariners Supporters'. From the day that marinators.net started, topics like 'should the current discussion forum at proboards be simply linked to from the marinators site (as it has been so far), or have its own discussion board on here, or have proboards somehow 'wrapped' within marinators.net' have been discussed by many people.
Nothing was done about that as things were working quite well but at the end of the day, it was still 2 separate sites.

Moving forward, if we want to have an online merchant area for marinator merchandise, up to date current info, important notices for marinators club members etc. the fans must be using the site on a daily basis and whilst numerous people have been invited to contribute content to keep this site up to date (yourself included), they just aren't doing it with any regularity, thus leaving it to a handful of the same people all the time contributing and whilst their efforts are appreciated, everyone should be able to have an input.
This board isn't a replacement for the proboards discussion forum but an attempt to get more people on here on a regular basis and that is why it has not been publicly announced as such, but left to see who registers and who doesn't. Those that want to use it will do so and those that don't won't.

This format to marinators.net will also allow for a 'marinators club' members only section (something I have discussed with you in the past) and has an intergrated calendar which will have all mariners related activities listed which is something that Adz has been trying to do on marinators.net for a while but unable to (for various reasons, time being the major one)

Ultimately, no one can make the decision which board will be used except the fans and if they don't want to use this then fine, but it is still a much better way for marinators.net admin to get out all the info it wants to get out in an interactive manner and in a way that obviously the fans like.

I just wanted to say that as a new sort of "Marinators" supporter, I feel this is a better option of the two. Having access to club merch (i.e. In the future) and all the news is simply available on the one site. Marinators.net; You have my Vote.

kevrenor

Jeff (LouMacari) said:
Not really Jeff it is even more unclear.

I am disappointed with how this is being handled and that you have replied as you have publicly.

I don't seek a debate on here at this stage - whatever debate there is should not be muddied with red herrings -  I was just adding balance to DJ statement.

Yes there has been discussion of a general nature but I expect a professional, inclusive and consultative approach to this sort of initiative. 

Very heavy commitments have delayed me writing to you direct, but I will now do this offline.

Jeff (LouMacari)

thanks Chris. got your email and given your very balanced content in that email (which we don't need to go into on here) I know there wont be a problem.
Look forward to catching up with you and sorry if I muddied the water with my reply (obviously was meant with the opposite intention!)

Deej

tbh Chris it was a complete accident that the forum went live - but once it was up it was up, however have not put a note on the other forum yet as we still have a few things to discuss.

I think it's pretty important for the Marinators moving forward that we continue with this and I'm sure Jeff has discussed with you the reasons why.

kevrenor

DJ said:
tbh Chris it was a complete accident that the forum went live - but once it was up it was up, however have not put a note on the other forum yet as we still have a few things to discuss.

I think it's pretty important for the Marinators moving forward that we continue with this and I'm sure Jeff has discussed with you the reasons why.
DJ I note the accident, and these happen.  :ashamed:
No discussion yet but contact made and there will be discussion - hoping to arrange a meeting.
A lot of water to pass under the bridge yet before The Mariners Fans Forum is replaced.  Adz has been doing an excellent job on the site btw  :)

I think we all want a united Mariners fans effort keeping everyone involved - and we don't want anyone else starting up rival forums or web sites.  :grouphug:

I am at present starting to test (in the very little time I have) this SMF software to see a) if it does what proboards does that needs to be kept, b) if it does what will be needed to enable the move to occur and to deliver appropriate control and operation of the Fans Forum (of which Marinators Club are one stakeholder).

Strange, I have a heavy work project on, designing a new web based system and mapping from the old - now I do it in my spare time too!  :headbutt:

Postcript - Apologies as this testing is going on (by various people), because this is live you may see things change from time to time.

dibo

i knew this was potentially in the works, wasn't expecting to see it live already!

in a general sense i think a move to a SMF or similar backboned forum is a good idea - nobody argues that proboards is spectacularly good and i think having a better link between the .net and the forum is a good idea.

adz pm'd me the other day and said basically 'i'm working on an smf forum, what do you think' and i said that i think a move is a good idea.

however, in 1 pm i don't think i gave the impression an immediate start is a good idea.

there are definitely some serious 'tin tacks' kinda issues:

there's a helluva lot of old stuff from this forum, it would be verging on tragic (to this tragic) to lose a lot of that. some of the old song threads, some of the discussions about who we are and what we do etc. are really interesting and it'd be nice to be able to link a lot of that through. and honestly, i've got no idea whether that's possible.

how do current members of our forum transition across? will they want to?

does the new forum give us better control of multis etc., and how will we deal with currently banned members?

are new subforums easier to create and manage (i.e. a private matchday planning forum, a club exec forum, an ask the club forum)?

what features are we going to set up in it? sfcu has really nice 'Show unread posts since last visit' and 'Show new replies to your posts' functions which make it a lot easier for casual followers of conversations to keep up to pace than the last 30 posts thing which i detest (especially when some of those 'post under the post before' threads get kicking). but that alone doesn't get past the other issues.

a transition process is important - but it seems to have been well and truly muffed here. i don't understand why the plug isn't pulled on the new forum for the moment while issues are worked through. it's not like i think it's a bad idea at all, i just think there's a lot to be done to make it turnkey ready.

i'd like to see the new forum up and running, but i'm basically keen to see some issues worked out first.

Deej

stuff on the old forum is a minor thing IMO, a new forum will create new discussions, besides it can still remain open if people wanted it to? Chant threads can easily be transfered and IMO people should have been contributing these to the sea shanties on .net if really important.

How do members join this 1? email all users on the old 1, put a thread on the old 1 to sign up on .net......pretty easy.

Dealing with banned members......I doubt they visit our site anymore, and if they do join .net we can baan them again.....how many do we have 3 or 4 perhaps? very small percentage to worry about IMO.

In terms of functions we use......I think a group of adults can sit down and agree on this.

Personally I can only see positives in moving, some of your concerns IMO are very minor but still worth the question asked.

Having .net (our main website that we advertise) as our main landing page is where we should be going.

ballantyne

I'd like to add a few points to this discussion:
1. This SMF app is well regarded, but you have the security set too low. I was able to register without an email activation step.
2. I just checked Sydney Unofficial and they too have closed and moved over to SMF. Their security is higher, with the entire board hidden to casual browsers and the email activation switched on.
3. Anyone who uses the phrase "moving forward" is suspicious. In the fullness of time we will do the calculus and bring all parties on board etc etc
4. Likewise any use of the word professional in this context is just silly. It's absolutely the opposite.
5. I like this app a lot as user, and the calendar module is just brilliant. It's aesthetically better, easier to read and far neater than Marinators.net was. If it can do the same stuff, it's preferable.
Jonathan

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred