• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Socceroos thread.

dibo

Will be difficult to beat Japan and Saudi Arabia.
If we do, we need to either beat Japan better than they beat us or otherwise ensure our goal difference advantage is preserved.

But realistically, if we can't beat Oman, we're not beating either Japan or Saudi,.and we're probably not beating UAE either, let alone Uruguay (who currently sit in 5th in COMNEBOL) or anyone else who lands in 5th.

The team isn't good enough.

turbo

Now watch the reaction when we don’t qualify (direct or play off) and compare to the Matilda’s who also only qualified due to us hosting.

Tevor

If we do, we need to either beat Japan better than they beat us or otherwise ensure our goal difference advantage is preserved.

But realistically, if we can't beat Oman, we're not beating either Japan or Saudi,.and we're probably not beating UAE either, let alone Uruguay (who currently sit in 5th in COMNEBOL) or anyone else who lands in 5th.

The team isn't good enough.

I think this is totally spot on, problem is we are so used to qualifying we just expect it. Unfortunate however I feel we are not making it to Qatar. We can blame Arnold however he can only pick what is available.

Kilsin

I think this is totally spot on, problem is we are so used to qualifying we just expect it. Unfortunate however I feel we are not making it to Qatar. We can blame Arnold however he can only pick what is available.
I think the problem is that he continues to play favourites and pick players like Leckie who have been underperforming for a while now and Mooy who is so slow (I'm glad he banged a goal for us but it's very rare) when he has quality, in-form players on the bench or that were not selected.

On that alone I think he needs to go, we need an unbiased NT coach who will pick the best Australian team and work with them to start performing better.

If we can't beat Oman then we don't deserve to be in the WC.

marinermick

We just don’t have be e the quality any more regardless of who we play. Name one player who is playing regularly in one of the world’s top leagues.

In 2006 the exception was a Socceroo not playing in top flight in England, Italy, Germany and Spain.

Things have seriously gone wrong in our development.

scottmac

Suspended
First half was OK, we pressed well and dominated possession while stopping their counter attacks. Leckie was shit, and as much as I hate Goodwin I thought he should have started. Second was dire. Arnold really has a half time problem. They'd be served better without seeing him in the sheds, sitting on the grass and waiting for the second to begin.

Big Al

Congratulations Arnie we’ve wrapped up 3rd place as a minimum. First goal ticked.

I know everyone thinks it’s better to directly qualify but I understand what your doing Arnie.

A couple of extra games will help the boys get to know each other and will be good practice games for the cup.

Seriously Arnie has been shit as a NT coach. Both he and Ange are much better club coaches.

Corica should have messed up SFC in time for Arnie to have another crack with them.
Good A League coach but that’s Arnie’s limit

Insertnamehere

We just don’t have be e the quality any more regardless of who we play. Name one player who is playing regularly in one of the world’s top leagues.

In 2006 the exception was a Socceroo not playing in top flight in England, Italy, Germany and Spain.

We have enough that we should beat Oman and China.

dibo

Without disagreeing with your conclusion, there's a bit more to it than players not playing in top leagues. Players playing in top leagues is good for those players (i.e. they earn plenty of cash) but in itself isn't proof of much. There are a couple of other things going on that complicate matters:
  • the massive improvement in both football development and scouting networks in places like Asia, Africa and countries in South America not called Argentina and Brazil means the level in Europe has risen, so not making it doesn't necessarily mean you're worse than the likes of Tony Popovic or Luke Wilkshire
  • our entry into Asia has increased the number of times our players will be called up to fly around the world to play, making them less attractive for managers to sign - the likes of Viduka and Kewell only came home for the big games, and didn't play up to 18 games per WC campaign
  • The improvement in Asian leagues has meant that there are alternatives to Europe that are attractive to players - they're professionals who need to make sure they earn a living, and if someone's gonna back up a truck full of bullion to your house to play in China or Saudi Arabia, you may well take that on rather than slog it out in Europe
None of those in themselves are proof that our players have got worse, but do make it less likely our players will sign in Europe.

Nevertheless, there are development issues.

The other day I wrote that we've had a generation of players caught between the NYL condensing to the ridiculous conference format in 2015 and the AL academies in the various NPL competitions properly maturing - the younger ones coming through are looking good (hence our improved showing in youth tournaments of late, and look no further than our own squad, chock full of academy kids).

We've had too many AL clubs also picking too many old blokes rather than kids too - Arnie himself in his time at Sydney was a shocker for this. People can be as critical of Corica as they like, but one thing he has done is play kids from his academy to pretty good effect.

Across the league, the pre-Omicron COVID period was a blessing in disguise because it forced clubs to look at their kids rather than try to open the chequebook.

Going forward, the NPL is going to be a 30 week season from 2023 (would have been from this year, but COVID blew up the 2021 season). State-level youth leagues are going to be 30wks this year. More games is unquestionably a good thing.

This is actually where the national second division (NSD) is important too. We really need another place to expose 17-22yo players to high-level football against men. That's the age group that would be keenest to actually play in a NSD - your 25+ players aren't going to live out of a suitcase for $30k-$40k - they're not chasing dreams any more.

The domestic transfer market will play a role too. We'll have more incentive to sign kids to longer deals, knowing that if a bigger Australian club comes knocking they can earn us a fee, and also knowing that we could potentially loan them out to a NSD club and blood them rather than have them riding pine all year. NSD clubs do the same, and can loan players to NPL clubs too. It's supporting the concept of a pyramid much more effectively.

And if players don't quite make it with us at a point in time, the NSD bridges the gap to the State comps, and keeps them on the boil and we might see them again in a year or two.

Maximising opportunities for kids to play at a good level is vital. Maximising incentives for clubs to pick up kids and commit to offering them an opportunity is vital.

FA put out a report called the Performance Gap report a year or so back and it covers a lot of this ground.

In short, there are problems and there's work going on to fix them, and you'll (hopefully) see the results in improved playing standards in the A-League and improved youth national teams' performances in the near future - some of the positive changes around the AL academies etc. are already generating a stock of great players coming through and this will only accelerate.

With luck this campaign is our nadir, and we're on the up from here.

Ironbark

Yeah, so we're not going to the World Cup this time are we. I'm calling it. Theere'll be that shimmer of hope for a bit, but really.

10 wins in a row then failure to qualify.

Similar to the Matildas, we have the players to compete but just relied on them to do it. In the end this is on both coaches. They had the players that without much coordination can crush lesser teams and so should be able to compete with stronger opposition...but couldn't

pjennings

Yeah, so we're not going to the World Cup this time are we. I'm calling it. Theere'll be that shimmer of hope for a bit, but really.

10 wins in a row then failure to qualify.

Similar to the Matildas, we have the players to compete but just relied on them to do it. In the end this is on both coaches. They had the players that without much coordination can crush lesser teams and so should be able to compete with stronger opposition...but couldn't

Disagree mightily with this. We are in a group that was always going to be 3 teams going into 2. That is still the case though we are likely to be the third and try to qualify that way. This is a poor Socceroos squad in what I consider to be Asia at at pretty low ebb. I do not like the chances of whoever qualifies from Asia accumulating 12 points between the 5 or 6 teams that will be there. You can talk about players missing or not being picked - but are that at the level of Kewell, Viduka, Cahill or Schwarzer? If not I doubt they would make any difference and if they did it may be for the worse.

The Matildas will be at the WWC - only because we are hosting it. We are supposedly one of the best teams in the world (as opposed to the Socceroos) - that was an almighty fail.

Wombat

Craig Foster and Co pushing the wrong agenda. The FFA just being the FFA.

turbo

Might be time to cut our nose off and flick GA. Get a pinch hitter to get us to the WC.
I agree GA needs to go but I dont see anyone else coming in and changing things enough to make that happen if it wont happen under GA. I would rather focus on getting someone for the next asian cup and WC cycle.

FFC Mariner

Alen Stajic enters the chat - want someone to take a shit side to 2 terrible 1-0 wins to get an outcome?

He's your man

Seriously, there are a number of really talented kids in EPL academies but the dont/wont get picked. Ditto O'Neill at City - bossed the game against us and not even a sniff

Melange

GA lost me when he put on that 7 foot centre back for the last fifteen minutes of the game vs Egypt at the Olympics. Put him up front and just hoped to lob it in to a tall target to save the game.

That was his plan b. Embarrassing.

Selections for the senior team have gone backwards since the last Asian Cup.

I like Leckie, I like Grant but they haven't been the best players in those positions for two years now.

FFC Mariner

Bos, O'Neill, even DDS, Caleb Watts at Southampton, Alex Robertson at Man City (although able to play for England) , Francois at Fulham etc

The players are there, we just dont have a coaching structure ballsy enough to hit reset and be prepared to watch them grow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred