• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2021 FFA Cup

Ancient Mariner

Wow. I hope you are wrong about Smith Mick.

Otherwise we can switch Rowles to LB and have Hall and Roun as our Centre backs.
Just no.

It is not good management to take one of your best players out of position to cover a weakness in another position.
It is a good rule to follow across all sports and hopefully will not happen here.
Likewise I would like to see Nizz back in the centre of the park and he can battle it out with Ballard for the spot.

pjennings

Just no.

It is not good management to take one of your best players out of position to cover a weakness in another position.
It is a good rule to follow across all sports and hopefully will not happen here.
Likewise I would like to see Nizz back in the centre of the park and he can battle it out with Ballard for the spot.
Fron reading earlier reports that is where he was playing and combining well with Cy. I hope he gets to play there this year as his normal position.

Ironbark

We have wingers in Cy and Muller who can let Nizz return to the mids, he was only out there as cover I suspect.

I felt like Monty went carefully keeping a few niggling injury players out, and gave minutes to a few subs for fitness and testing. That wasn't our starting 11 I don't think. More of a preseason squad, albeit with something at stake.

Add to that the conditions - which were intense - and playing a well drilled side whose sole goal was to block the channels and frustrate then hit on the counter and I thought the only thing we lacked were teeth in the final shot.
Their keeper had to make 5 crucial saves (maybe more I can't remember) - that, had they been better taken or less well saved, would have led to a routing.

As a base line to get going with I'm happy enough with that. The scum this week will be where we get a proper indicator of where we're sitting.

Tevor

We have wingers in Cy and Muller who can let Nizz return to the mids, he was only out there as cover I suspect.

I felt like Monty went carefully keeping a few niggling injury players out, and gave minutes to a few subs for fitness and testing. That wasn't our starting 11 I don't think. More of a preseason squad, albeit with something at stake.

Add to that the conditions - which were intense - and playing a well drilled side whose sole goal was to block the channels and frustrate then hit on the counter and I thought the only thing we lacked were teeth in the final shot.
Their keeper had to make 5 crucial saves (maybe more I can't remember) - that, had they been better taken or less well saved, would have led to a routing.

As a base line to get going with I'm happy enough with that. The scum this week will be where we get a proper indicator of where we're sitting.
I think you are on the money, the good thing about the Scum's cup game is I'm pretty sure we seen their starting 11 so Monty will have some good material for analysis. Pappas on the other hand hasn't see much of Cy, Moreshe or Mueller and how they will be used.

Forum Phoenix

Think you’re being a bit harsh on Farrell Wombat, I thought he had a solid debut albeit against NPL and not ALM opposition but by all accounts he closed the right side of SFC’s attack out really well in the last pre-season game.

I too am surprised the Smith has seemingly been frozen out but I back Monty’s judgement as to who deserves to start and be in the game day squad.
He looks young. But I thought he combined well going forward and definitely isn’t lazy. Always in support going forward, and always gets back. Which is more than Clisby did until his killer season last year.

Defensively as an A league starting LB, I can’t honestly draw an opinion from that game. Blacktown understandably set up defensively and mainly just tried to find Mendy on the counter so I didn’t think we were really very tested beyond when our mids turned it over a few times and they threw everything at us in the closing period.

But for me what was super impressive about Farrell was a pretty serious degree of calmness and maturity for such a young player I thought. Like Niz. His head looks really screwed on and he had great focus. Most young players struggle with nerves. Even Sains who then became such a cool customer. Have brain snaps. Rowles, Danny V. And then at other times their concentration fails and they go missing… For a very young player, Farrell looks to me at the very least like he has a fantastic mindset to be a defender. But I haven’t seen enough real defending required to either support or push back on Wombats opinion of him.

For those who’ve seen more of him, how does he go in one on ones, and limiting attacking wide players from being able to cut back in or get in behind?

Bottom line, Monty knows his footballers, so as long as he hasn’t developed an attachment due to his academy time, he obviously thinks he’s up to it.

marinermick

He looks young. But I thought he combined well going forward and definitely isn’t lazy. Always in support going forward, and always gets back. Which is more than Clisby did until his killer season last year.

Defensively as an A league starting LB, I can’t honestly draw an opinion from that game. Blacktown understandably set up defensively and mainly just tried to find Mendy on the counter so I didn’t think we were really very tested beyond when our mids turned it over a few times and they threw everything at us in the closing period.

But for me what was super impressive about Farrell was a pretty serious degree of calmness and maturity for such a young player I thought. Like Niz. His head looks really screwed on and he had great focus. Most young players struggle with nerves. Even Sains who then became such a cool customer. Have brain snaps. Rowles, Danny V. And then at other times their concentration fails and they go missing… For a very young player, Farrell looks to me at the very least like he has a fantastic mindset to be a defender. But I haven’t seen enough real defending required to either support or push back on Wombats opinion of him.

For those who’ve seen more of him, how does he go in one on ones, and limiting attacking wide players from being able to cut back in or get in behind?

Bottom line, Monty knows his footballers, so as long as he hasn’t developed an attachment due to his academy time, he obviously thinks he’s up to it.

We all know how pish Sainsbury was early days for us.

Corsair

a pretty serious degree of calmness and maturity for such a young player I thought. Like Niz. His head looks really screwed on and he had great focus. Most young players struggle with nerves. Even Sains who then became such a cool customer. Have brain snaps. Rowles, Danny V. And then at other times their concentration fails and they go missing…
What you've described pretty much highlights all the concerns (either lacking in or showing up) I have with Miller. Emotional hot head who occasionally goes missing. Most of the time he's decent but every now and then he's either blowing up and gesticulating wildly or away with the fairies. Compare that to Rowles or RT or even Dan Hall, all calm and in control.

But...I used to say about Rowles all the time when he was younger that he needed to believe in himself more and that he was a lot better than he thought he was. Miller comes across as probably the opposite, rates himself a bit too much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami