• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A League Expansion

marinermick

The South East of Melbourne (Mornington Peninsula, Dandenong and Frankston) has a clear identity seperate from most of Melbourne. But have never really had a professional side in any sport, bar the brand new South East Melbourne Phoenix.

While I personally despise City and CFG for what they did to Heart they at least know what they are doing.

If they can be an "upper class" club in the vein of the Melbourne Demons or Hawthorn Hawks they will find real success. Basing themselves in the South East will also deliver another huge potential geographical fanbase who are largely unrepresented in professional sport. This fanbase is also largely migrant and first generation Australians in the more working class areas of Dandenong and Frankston.

This is all assuming of course that people can support a colonial club representing the interests of a human rights abusing dictatorship.

Upper class and SE Melbourne?

style_cafe

The South East of Melbourne (Mornington Peninsula, Dandenong and Frankston) has a clear identity seperate from most of Melbourne. But have never really had a professional side in any sport, bar the brand new South East Melbourne Phoenix.

While I personally despise City and CFG for what they did to Heart they at least know what they are doing.

If they can be an "upper class" club in the vein of the Melbourne Demons or Hawthorn Hawks they will find real success. Basing themselves in the South East will also deliver another huge potential geographical fanbase who are largely unrepresented in professional sport. This fanbase is also largely migrant and first generation Australians in the more working class areas of Dandenong and Frankston.

This is all assuming of course that people can support a colonial club representing the interests of a human rights abusing dictatorship.
JP I like the geographics that you outline and think that once a team is established in a large area,then people will gravitate to them. Then as the children grow and move away they stay connected to that area by continuing to support the team from their childhood.
We`re just starting to see that with many on the forum not living on the coast anymore.
We also have the tack ons (no offence mate) that have never lived on the coast but just enjoy what the Mariner`s represent.
In essence, as our league is only still young we we are part of the evolution of football in this country.
As time moves on we will see Mariners supporters grow in numbers around the Australia and eventually around the world.
That`s why,as a sport, we need to tap into regional markets (as I said previously above) to grow the game across the country... :popcorn:

Allreet?

A lot of Mariners' Sydney supporters are ex followers of Northern Spirit, the team that made up the bulk of the Mariners squad in season 1.
Yep, I used to be a regular at North Sydney in the first two seasons before moving up here. Was very happy when we got the licence and brought some of the younger Spirit boys north.

Lawrie, in his book, says he had to talk Hutcho out of effective retirement to come to the Mariners. Would've been a different world if he hadn't.

Allreet?

If you want to find out, come to Bay Road before home games. I sometimes hand out a few freebies.

And yes, I know you were joking BG...

Yorkshire Mariners FC

Have we got a National 2nd division thread Who would you like involved? In what format? Should NSL teams (other than Syd United) be allowed to be considered? I personally would have liked a 2nd kiwi side. Let's say you had to pick 10, who ya got?
I'd start. My selections culled NSL teams:
South Hobart
Sunshine Coast FC Fire
Cockburn City
Football SA Merger
Gungahlin United
Bentleigh Greens

One of Gold Coast United/Brisbane United (though NSL part of BU bid)
Sutherland/ Cronulla Sharks or Rockdale Ilinden if Cronulla pull out
That's 8.
Valentine FC for shits and giggles
Then I suppose another Vic one but that opens NSL
Let's say Green Gully.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1678092556319.jpg
    FB_IMG_1678092556319.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 5

sydmariner

Have we got a National 2nd division thread Who would you like involved? In what format? Should NSL teams (other than Syd United) be allowed to be considered? I personally would have liked a 2nd kiwi side. Let's say you had to pick 10, who ya got?
I'd start. My selections culled NSL teams:
South Hobart
Sunshine Coast FC Fire
Cockburn City
Football SA Merger
Gungahlin United
Bentleigh Greens

One of Gold Coast United/Brisbane United (though NSL part of BU bid)
Sutherland/ Cronulla Sharks or Rockdale Ilinden if Cronulla pull out
That's 8.
Valentine FC for shits and giggles
Then I suppose another Vic one but that opens NSL
Let's say Green Gully.
Thoughts?
Manly United, CCU:)

turbo

My biggest question is what has changed in Auckland since last time?
The article mentions the ground of choice which I've heard others on reddit mention was a pain. And there's plenty of examples of the difference an owner can make, the Bakries being a master class in what not to do.

I think Auckland makes a lot of sense from a commercial perspective. It will add value to the NZ deal, should mean a regular early game to provide content that doesn't overlap other games and avoid the worst of the summer heat. A derby could increase interest in the NZ market too. If their numbers stack up relative to other markets I'm all for it.

turbo

From this:
The moves to establish a Canberra club for the Isuzu UTE A-League Men are significantly further advanced than plans for Auckland, after months of meetings between APL executives and ACT stakeholders across government, football and sports infrastructure operators. APL is creating a partnership with the Capital Region Football Collective, the group behind Canberra’s unsuccessful bid for a licence in 2018, and plans a fan’s forum in April.

Reads like they've got preferred partners/bidders locked in provided they still have their funding secured.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami