• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A League Expansion

ConsKrypt

Already posted this in another thread but it belongs here (in my haste to share it I didnt even think about this thread)
1678864622431.png

Insertnamehere

God, that was a demonstration of how not to expand....

Dunno about Auckland though....

Hopefully scheduling for Perth will try have them play AU and WP consecutively.

At least these teams have stadium's
Auckland is a cash grab from sky. Plus it adds a derby so thats good. Otherwise long term nux are dead birds flapping.

I still contend bulls aren't a bad idea for an expansion team. But holy f**k the owners are batshit and have already destroyed that teams chances of being successful

Hello Sailor

Shame that the Wolves missed out again.
My preferred expansion would be the integration of the touted second division WITH relegation and promotion, but that never going to happen while the A League remains a closed shop.

marinermick

Shame that the Wolves missed out again.
My preferred expansion would be the integration of the touted second division WITH relegation and promotion, but that never going to happen while the A League remains a closed shop.

My preference would be through promotion as well. That way we know teams are strong enough to compete rather than be lugged with another WU or Macarthur.

The APL are not going to make that decision however because they are staring at a $50 million buy in from these two clubs.

adz

Staff member
My preference would be through promotion as well. That way we know teams are strong enough to compete rather than be lugged with another WU or Macarthur.

The APL are not going to make that decision however because they are staring at a $50 million buy in from these two clubs.

That opens up a bit of a can of worms then doesn't it? What if they buy in for $25m, get relegated in the first season? Would there be a rule in place saying promotion/relegation except for these teams ... new teams, Plastics, Sydney, Victory.

turbo

That way we know teams are strong enough to compete rather than be lugged with another WU or Macarthur.
WU were third on the table and won the toilet seat last year. 5th in their first season. They can compete on the pitch and are funded decently its the off field stuff that sucks and promotion wouldn't guarantee any different.

3.00pm double headers in summer sounds fantastic
NZ opens up more scheduling options. They can play at 1PM or 3PM NSW time with no issues.

I suspect there won’t be any pro/rel for a while given the money that needs to be stumped up.
I think there needs to be a really solid case to show it can work. We see a lot of pipe dreams and romanticized ideas around Pro Rel that ignores AL owners have been propping up the game with millions in losses per year. A lot of ground for 2nd div to cover before it can be entertained. I believe 2034 is when the current licenses were extended to but not sure if the APL unbundling changed anything there.

Tevor

This whole sudden push for expansion seems like a way for the APL to head off all this talk of the NSD and pro/rel to me
You can’t help but think there is something behind the news. Come out of the blue like the GF sale. I’m more leaning to it being a cash grab by the APL. Soon they will be like the political parties and have nothing to sell and can’t expand any further so where does the cash come from then. Could also have something to do with the media deal. Paramount only have one more season to go on the current deal. There must be discussions going on now with it being so close. Perhaps they want more teams as the expanded comp would be the first season of the new deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami