• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ALM Rd 6 vs Victory (Home)

Allreet?

Faz outclassed Arzani. As he did Irukunda and anyone he takes on
Arzani did nothing - to my relief. I was surprised he didn't start after his fantastic game last week - maybe injured - but all to the good for us.

As for Fazz - I was completely unconcerned every time the ball went near him. He has truly emerged this season as a first class defender and must be on Arnie's radar. Who would you rather have at LB? Behich or Fazz?

pjennings

Arzani did nothing - to my relief. I was surprised he didn't start after his fantastic game last week - maybe injured - but all to the good for us.

As for Fazz - I was completely unconcerned every time the ball went near him. He has truly emerged this season as a first class defender and must be on Arnie's radar. Who would you rather have at LB? Behich or Fazz?
After your build up last week I was watching him closely when he came on to replace the basically anonymous Ikonimidis. Apart from diving twice in the first 90 seconds on the field he did nothing of note except deliver some nice crosses from free kicks. Certainly don't want him near the NT on that performance. Kudos to Faz for keeping them quiet.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Where he is now, Torres should be playing on the right wing. He is a one-footed player whose first instinct is to cut in - when he is on the left he is either fighting his instinct, or he does cut in, finds himself on his wrong foot and then life gets complicated for him. When he plays on the right, he looks more comfortable and more of a threat.
SO why aint the gaffer and his sidekicks picking up on this ?

Coastalraider

SO why aint the gaffer and his sidekicks picking up on this ?
Because moving him to the right from kickoff means we need someone else on the left that can play 70+ minutes - and Wilson is weaker in the left, and Theo has shown he has far less impact playing big minutes. Miggy might have the tools, but 70+ is a big ask for a kid just starting to find his feet in the first team.

It’s about the sum of the parts.

marinermick

More to the point, why aren't the front 4 cycling through those positions to make it harder for oppositions to make them?

Beni and Sam would often swap wings, Tulio and JC would often swap roles.

This is something I haven’t been able to get my head around as well. Even looking at Max’s and Niz’s heat map there was a definite left and right aspect of their defending.

Maybe MJ has had to go back to square one on defending and prioritising this over attack.

booney

I did notice for a few minutes in the first half Tulio was on the LW while Torres was central.Whether this was planned or came about because of the state of play I could not say.However Tulio often movees out to the wings in a game-this makes it difficult to mark him.Wilson not really experienced enough to do that position cycling and Kuol should be able to do it as should Reec but maybe MJ not sure that Kuol or Reec are up to that at this stage.

Insertnamehere

I did notice for a few minutes in the first half Tulio was on the LW while Torres was central.Whether this was planned or came about because of the state of play I could not say.However Tulio often movees out to the wings in a game-this makes it difficult to mark him.Wilson not really experienced enough to do that position cycling and Kuol should be able to do it as should Reec but maybe MJ not sure that Kuol or Reec are up to that at this stage.
Tulio defs had a free role to move around as he pleased. Unfortunately that often involved him gut running to get back to assist with stopping counters.

Big Al

I think they were hoping we would have tired legs after 3 games but we finished stronger and the victory midfield lost control and we had way more possession in our attack than them last 20 mins so he didn’t have much ball to work with

Spacks

Because moving him to the right from kickoff means we need someone else on the left that can play 70+ minutes - and Wilson is weaker in the left, and Theo has shown he has far less impact playing big minutes. Miggy might have the tools, but 70+ is a big ask for a kid just starting to find his feet in the first team.

It’s about the sum of the parts.
I'm not opposed to Faz playing left defensive winger with Noah Smith playing Wing Back.

Wombat

Jim, you and I haven’t seen eye to eye on this one since pre-season but the writing was on the wall. If by some miracle we get to seasons end or even mid season and I’m wrong, I will be the first to apologise.

Encouraged by us digging in today and somewhat turning it around and at least we can score, but I don’t see it being enough.

I will be there on Friday. Still no high hopes but love to be wrong.
The answer will be if the club supports Jacko in the Jan transfer window.

Wombat

I'm not opposed to Faz playing left defensive winger with Noah Smith playing Wing Back.
Smith was woeful last game and woeful in the Adelaide game as well. I think he might be cut in Jan.

Also what is the difference between a wing back and a defensive winger?.....won't they both be playing in literally the same space?

Wombat

Speaking of which I'm sitting first in the forum / CFR league :overheadl:
On the same points as me buddy. Its a miracle for me i was on about 3 points after the first three rounds.

Congrats anyway Turbo, i'm sure my nosebleed will soon be gone.

Wombat

@Wombat I already owe you somewhat of an apology. Have rewatched the game (or watched .. I only saw snippets of it in Sunday) and we played far better than I was envisioning.
Some sparks of life are there. Here’s hoping we can keep feeding the fire. ??
Meerkat, i have love for you always.

I just was a lil bit rattled to hear you slagging us off after a very good performance. I know some of us are glass empty v full personalities but please be a little bit patient.

Here is a stat for you....MJ currently is the second most successful Coach in our history with a win ratio of 50%. Monty is our best at 50.79%.

Sully (0%) and Mulvey (4.5%) sheepishly walk out of the room.

priorpeter

Smith was woeful last game and woeful in the Adelaide game as well. I think he might be cut in Jan.

Also what is the difference between a wing back and a defensive winger?.....won't they both be playing in literally the same space?
Smithers struggled in the Adelaide game but it didn’t help that we (perhaps needlessly) reshuffled the entire backline and brought on a cold LB to mark Irankunda who, until that point, had been in Faz’ pocket.
I still see smith offering something higher up. We have all seen what he can offer during his previous stint with us.
He’s injured at the moment - could be another couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred