• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australian Football Stuff - not worthy of a thread

dibo

Williams I don't rate but Shield was ok, aside from one missed handball. That was a critical non-call, but his AR missed it too and isn't enough to tarnish an otherwise decent career.

Breeze was just meh. Gillett is worse.

pjennings

Shield and his closest assistant were unsighted. The one further away saw it and indicated it to Shield but was waved away. Apparently Shield finally admitted his mistake and apologised to Lawrie about 6 months later.

Rowdy

Hyundai extends FFA partnership by four years:
aleague_0.jpg

Hyundai Motor Company Australia has extended their partnership with the A-League and Football Federation Australia for another four years.

The extension brings the partnership to fifteen years, which will see Hyundai continue to hold naming rights to the Hyundai A-League, as well as extend its rights as automotive sponsor to the Westfield Matildas, Caltex Socceroos and the Westfield W-League.
Gallop hailed the partnership built with Hyundai over the last eleven years.
“Hyundai has been a fantastic supporter and partner of the A-League since before the competition’s inception and it is great news they have agreed to continue the relationship for a further four years,” Gallop said.
“Hyundai’s support now runs through the pyramid of Australian Football from the grassroots to our flagship competitions. “I’d like to thank Hyundai for their valuable support and look forward to another four years of the relationship.”
The renewal will also see a continuation of the successful Goals for Grassroots program.
The program alone has had $600,000 contributed by the automotive company to grassroots teams in the sport.
Hyundai CEO Charlie Kim also paid tribute to the partnership and it's influence on football at all levels.
“A commitment to be title sponsor for 15 consecutive years is a rare thing in any sport, and there is no better measure of how much Hyundai loves the game – we are as much fans as we are sponsors," Kim said.
“I extend my thanks to David Gallop and the team at the FFA for the great work they do for football in this country. We will continue to support the Hyundai A-League, along with the Westfield W-League, the Caltex Socceroos and the Westfield Matildas, because we know that when we grow football, we grow our brand.
“Also, we never forget where our future football stars come from, the grass-roots clubs, to whom we have donated over $600,000 through our Goals for Grassroots program.”
Hyundai this year also allowed teams to seek out their own automotive sponsorships, relinquishing it's exclusive rights as partner to the 10 A-League clubs, something Gallop also recognised.
“The Hyundai A-League has grown to become one of the most recognisable mainstream sporting competitions in Australia and Hyundai should be congratulated for their role in allowing the league and the 10 clubs to maximise future growth by allowing clubs to enter into automotive sponsorships of a significant nature,” Gallop said.
“It shows that football is serious about working together to grow the game and is a fantastic indication of the strength of the relationship football shares with Hyundai at all levels.”
Mr Charlie Kim said that Hyundai understood the economical climate of football, and that lead to the decision.
“We understand that to grow the game of football at club level, and to demonstrate our commitment to the sport, it’s important to allow this flexibility. We look forward to seeing even more success and growth in the Hyundai A-League through to the end of the decade.” -

Rowdy

Adelaide chairman believes FFA shouldn't fund Cahill move:
gettyimages-576813550.jpg

Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin has warned Football Federation Australia against loosening the A-League salary cap to accommodate Tim Cahill.

As the wait continues for official confirmation of Cahill's high-profile move to Melbourne City, Griffin has revealed his reticence towards the deal and said the FFA shouldn't be bending the rules or contributing any money to A-League signings.

"My personal view is if you don't fit in, you don't fit in," Griffin said.

"I don't think FFA should be determinants of which so-called marquee players come into the competition, and I don't think they should be contributing, unless there was an extraordinary event.

"Probably, Tim Cahill is an extraordinary event - I just don't like the fact that salary cap tends to become diminished in this process.

"I think the fairer the playing field, the better the competition."

The FFA specifically created the full-season guest player position, essentially a third marquee slot, in the off-season so City could sign Cahill, in the hope of boosting their poor home crowd numbers.

But City will receive financial assistance from the FFA because the Australia forward will also take on a marketing and promotional role for the A-League itself.

Griffin described Cahill as a "gift" for the rich City Football Group but said Adelaide, the reigning A-League champions, would continue to live within their means.

"Businesses fail because people spend more than they have. We're one of the two profitable clubs in the A-League, and we're very proud of that," he said.

Meanwhile, Wellington Phoenix coach Ernie Merrick is at the other end of the spectrum.

Merrick said he can't figure out why the FFA are still bothering with the salary cap - particularly now that clubs can do so much outside of it.

Rowdy

I'd have to agree with Griffin on this issue.

I don't care if the FFA chipped in $50k or $500k to Melb.City to land a big fish like Cahill, if every other A-League club isn't awarded the same dollar amount then the system is unilaterally unbalanced & most importantantly unfair to those A-League clubs that aren't afforded (because they can't afford) the same opportunity to spend on a 'Marquee Guest Player'.

Yes - the $500k spent by the FFA on a 'Cahill' will be a 'positive' for our club, with increased crowds/$$$'s clicking through the turnstiles ......

BUT - that same $500k more importantly is a 'negative' to our team by having to compete against a far superior opposition.

Ask yourself whats more important, watching your team play against a
mega-star or watching your team getting ripped a new arsehole ???

I think THAT question WAS well & truly answered last year @ CC Stadium.

Arse sugery is costly and not always succesful ..... thats why they invented a colostomy bags.

And another thing I think should be seriously considered, is that it's really only a matter of time before SydFC, WSW & Victory owners clue-on that to take on the burden of 'spending cash to recieve more cash'
....... clandestinely raises their salary cap
.... legally
.... and that'll give them the edge in the long run.

The process will just turn into handing over a list of potential players your thinking of going after and awaiting getting the list back from the FFA with ticks & crosses, albeit with confedentiallity clauses.

Whereas if the FFA allowed other clubs, like CCM, to also be given the same amount eg. $500k to be spent across the entire squad or just spread over 2 or 3 players
..... that could or should have a major effect on the standard of our play
...... by being able to sign a higher quality of player/'s.
.... which in turn has an effect on our crowd figures.

And isn't THAT, what it's all about ??
Gue$t Player Marquee = ⬆crowd'$

Being an Aussie & also being born a Libran in October ..... 'fairness' is something that really resonates for me.

FFA 'GP Marquee' policy .... is far from it.

JoyfulPenguin

I'd have to agree with Griffin on this issue.

I don't care if the FFA chipped in $50k or $500k to Melb.City to land a big fish like Cahill, if every other A-League club isn't awarded the same dollar amount then the system is unilaterally unbalanced & most importantantly unfair to those A-League clubs that aren't afforded (because they can't afford) the same opportunity to spend on a 'Marquee Guest Player'.

Yes - the $500k spent by the FFA on a 'Cahill' will be a 'positive' for our club, with increased crowds/$$$'s clicking through the turnstiles ......

BUT - that same $500k more importantly is a 'negative' to our team by having to compete against a far superior opposition.

Ask yourself whats more important, watching your team play against a
mega-star or watching your team getting ripped a new arsehole ???

I think THAT question WAS well & truly answered last year @ CC Stadium.

Arse sugery is costly and not always succesful ..... thats why they invented a colostomy bags.

And another thing I think should be seriously considered, is that it's really only a matter of time before SydFC, WSW & Victory owners clue-on that to take on the burden of 'spending cash to recieve more cash'
....... clandestinely raises their salary cap
.... legally
.... and that'll give them the edge in the long run.

The process will just turn into handing over a list of potential players your thinking of going after and awaiting getting the list back from the FFA with ticks & crosses, albeit with confedentiallity clauses.

Whereas if the FFA allowed other clubs, like CCM, to also be given the same amount eg. $500k to be spent across the entire squad or just spread over 2 or 3 players
..... that could or should have a major effect on the standard of our play
...... by being able to sign a higher quality of player/'s.
.... which in turn has an effect on our crowd figures.

And isn't THAT, what it's all about ??
Gue$t Player Marquee = ⬆crowd'$

Being an Aussie & also being born a Libran in October ..... 'fairness' is something that really resonates for me.

FFA 'GP Marquee' policy .... is far from it.
I don't get the hatred of the salary cap by so many A-League fans. Especially when there are so many loopholes in it to spend more if you wish. The only thing not having a salary cap will do is make Liam Reddy cost 900,000 instead of 100,000 the talent pool isn't going to magically get bigger and better if we scrap the cap.

Rowdy

The following is a great article from the TWG website by Seb Hasset ......

A night on Sydney FC's bench:
By Sebastian Hassett

The thing about dressing rooms is that they all smell and look the same. Dencorub. Medical tape. A messy whiteboard. Tiny lockers. Public showers.

Humble as they are when empty, when filled with the inner sanctum of a professional football club, they dramatically buzz to life.

We can delude ourselves about the importance of everything else - sponsors, TV, crowds, money, status, fame, the media - but in here, that matters nought. This is where it really happens.

And once you walk through that door, your ego must give way to the collective. In this place, the greater good rules all.

The thought immediately strikes me: this is why retirement among some is so utterly terrifying. Where else in society can one find the pure rush of adrenaline and camaraderie against a backdrop of brute competition and pure physicality?

For one night only, in their annual game against Macarthur Rams at Campbelltown Stadium, Graham Arnold has invited me to witness it, warts and all.

There are no sheep stations on the line tonight but Arnold will be keen to see where his players are at after a few weeks of pre-season.

Outside, it’s assistant coach Steve Corica taking care of the drills. He doesn’t say much, pausing only to maintain standards. “Keep it sharp,” he barks after a stray pass. “Boys, focus!”

On the sidelines, Sydney’s youth coach, Robbie Stanton, has a private word with Rams’ boss Lee Sterrey.
sydneyfc-fouryoungsubscomingon.jpg

As they split up, Stanton says “Just enjoy it tonight,” - to which Sterrey, one of the great characters of the lower leagues, cheerfully shoots back: “When don’t you enjoy it?”

The players come in and Arnold has the starting eleven on the seats in front of him. His tactics are simple but the instructions are minutely detailed.

On the whiteboard, it’s a 4-3-3, but not a traditional one. And if the players do their jobs correctly, it’s almost a 3-4-3 in attack and a 4-5-1 in defence.

It’s only here that one learns how different tactics are in theory and reality. Formations, in public discourse, suddenly seem finite and outdated.

sydneyfc-justbeforegoingout.jpg

Modern coaching is infinitely more fluid. It is much more about collective strategy and individual roles.

Without giving too much away, Arnold is big on rotations, overlapping and stacking. He wants to create numerical advantages all over the pitch - a hallmark of his halcyon days at Central Coast.

The strategy is sound. The only worry is whether the new players are tactically savvy enough, not to mention fit enough, to implement it.

The starting line-up is a mix of youth and first team, without a number of key players including Alex Brosque, Milos Ninkovic, Bernie Ibini, Matt Jurman and Michael Zullo.

Filip Holosko their spots in the starting eleven. Arnold picks Bai Antoniou at left-back and Young Socceroo William Mutch at right-back - a test to see if they can cut it at this level.

As the speech winds to a close, Arnold acknowledges that Macarthur will be playing for their lives.

“This is their opportunity to perform. It’s one night only for them and they will do whatever it takes to make it difficult for us,” he tells the team right before they run out. “But we have to be much better - mentally - than that. From the first minute to the last, I want to see a professional display from everyone in a Sydney FC shirt.”

Hardly Any Given Sunday, but nor should it be. Those will come, all going well, next May.

At such close proximity to the players, you notice their idiosyncrasies: Alex Wilkinson’s tiny shinpads are taped to his calves. Matt Simon mixes a languid manner with a frightening stare. David Carney is so relaxed he could fall asleep. Rhyan Grant - a notorious joker on the training track - is pure focus despite his late arrival.

They run out to a small but boisterous crowd. So small you can hear the individual voices - and at least half are supporting the underdog.

There’s a table oddly positioned next to Arnold’s seat on the touchline.

“What the hell is this here for?” he asks Sterrey. The reply: “I thought we could have half-time tea and scones.” Both share a laugh of familiarity. They coached against each other for the first time almost 20 years ago.

The match kicks-off, and it’s jarringly apparent that Macarthur can’t get enough players behind the ball. “Is that six at the back?” asks strength and conditioning coach Andrew Clark, half-kidding.

Arnold pipes up to the opposing bench: “Lee, you’ve haven’t just parked the bus, you’ve put up a block of units!” On the evidence of the opening ten minutes, he’s not wrong. The Rams know their limitations.
img_3495.jpg

The freezing winter cold has its first victim. Milos Dimitrijevic, who Arnold had urged to play an unusually high role as soon as the Rams sat deep, has an ankle complaint.

Seated to my right, physio Elias Boukarim sprints out to attend to the situation. But the Serbian midfielder waggles his finger dejectedly. He’s coming off.

A quick decision has to be made - nobody was expecting this. Grant, ever reliable in every role, comes on.

New signing Josh Brillante is making an immediate impression. He links the play smartly; most good things happen through him.

Still, his combination with Brandon O’Neill needs work. Such a classy player on his day, O’Neill is a little off the boil. Both he and the coaches know it. The bumpy pitch isn’t helping him.

Sydney continue to dominate but there’s a disjointedness to their play that’s bothering Arnold. He hammers his men to press and press again. They try, but it’s half-hearted.

In particular, the coach is riding Matty Simon. The striker is mis-timing his runs and it’s driving Arnold - one of the nation’s greatest ever strikers himself - to despair.

“Pull the trigger Simmo!”

“Press, press, press, Simmo! Press!”

But knowing their history, I see it's only because Arnold badly wants Simon to succeed And he knows Simmo can handle a bollocking, too.

The boss is also at the wingers, David Carney and George Blackwood. They’re drifting inside to seek the ball but with Macarthur having stacked the area already, Arnold wants them to stay high and wide. Arnold even sends Clark to the far side of the field just to tell Blackwood.

Ahead of his 500 metre return sprint into the winter’s night, Clark shoots me a priceless look that says: ‘And you thought this was a glamorous job’.

Arnold soon does away with Blackwood out wide, instead trying him in the number ten role. The young striker tries gallantly but finds it difficult to play in what little space is afforded him.

On my left is John Crawley, the revered goalkeeping coach. He makes a fastidious set of notes - but is the first to recognise when an opponent is moving unchecked into space. His booming voice ensures the player hears it, too.

Crawley and Vedran Janjetovic communicate in their own language, a combination of shouting and sign. For the first time in several seasons, the arrival of Danny Vukovic means nothing is assured for Janjetovic. They get 45 minutes each tonight.

An inspired run from Rams’ forward Mason Versi, who has spent time with the Central Coast Mariners youth team, leads Crawley to whisper in my ear: “Watch this kid, he can finish”.

Half-time arrives and Sydney still haven’t scored. They’re not playing well, but they are dominating possession.

Arnold permits his side an alternate plan to find a way through - the defenders can play long if required, but only if they are clever enough to manipulate the space first. No hit-and-hope balls.

But what Arnold hasn’t spoken about - understandably - is that Macarthur might score. Besides, there has been no real indication of it. Yet three minutes into the second half, that’s exactly what happens. And it’s Crawley’s words that ring true.

Our vantage point is obscured as the ball is crossed into the box but we get to see Versi make a clean finish from close range.

Having come on at half-time, Vukovic’s first act in Sydney FC colours will be to pick the ball out of the empty net.

There’s very little concern on the Sydney bench about conceding. They can dissect that in the post-match review. For now, it’s about finding avenues to goal.

Rowdy

Holosko has come on and is adding something down the right, while Blackwood comes off in a state of fury. He spent the first half finding his rhythm and has now hurt his groin.

Defender Seb Ryall is also off and is complaining about being kicked on the back of the heel. It’s only minor, but that’s three men down in the first hour.

Macarthur are growing into this game but it’s still hard to believe they’re in front. One midfielder has a glorious rat-tail, the type you could only grow in Campbelltown. Their left-back looks like a dead ringer for Sonny from Grease. They’ve just brought on an attacker so young he looks like he’s come from the under-14s.

Sydney burn more chances. It’s clearly not their night. With 20 minutes to play, Arnold brings off Wilkinson, O'Neill, Brillante and Carney, replacing them with four teenagers of his own.

Time has raced away from the Sky Blues. With a few minutes to play, the players are urged to get the ball in the box as quickly as possible. Simon, still bustling away, is desperately unlucky not to level things up.

It’s 89:58 on the clock when the referee blows for full-time. I’ve never seen that before. The Rams are unlikely victors; they’ve not beaten Sydney in seven previous attempts.

The rooms afterwards are relatively muted. Blackwood and Dimitrijevic are both getting treatment, with the latter confirming to Arnold he “felt something” but that he’ll be fine. "Don't worry, no problem".

There isn’t too much to be said by the players to each other, nor from the coaching staff. Their professional pride has been dented.

Captain Brosque is in there, likewise the rest of those who didn't play. They know how is important it is to stick together, especially in defeat.

Nevertheless, it’s only a pre-season practice match and after a grueling few weeks of double-training sessions - including a full game only the day before - the heavy legs of many have an alibi.

Chief executive Tony Pignata and club chairman Scott Barlow have now arrived for moral support, sufficiently rugged up to stave off the winter chill.

I’m invited to eat with the team, and despite trying to give the players space given the result, Wilkinson, Simon and football manager Terry McFlynn have joined me for time-honoured tradition of chicken and pasta.
sydneyfc-postgamedinner.jpg

The two teams eat side by side, with the local association president making a short speech praising the connection between the two clubs, which Pignata reciprocates. It’s a nice touch - you won’t see this in the A-League.

But there’s none too much chatter from the Sky Blue tables. Losing, even in pre-season, hurts. It will be a long trip back to the city.

Rowdy

Vidmar wants A-League Teenage Rampage:
565987b793ac0d047caa7906296602ae

Derby County’s Tony Dorigo battles Manchester United's David Beckham in 2000. Adelaide City pre-season friendlies gave then 15-year-old Dorigo the boost he needed to become an England international.

AUSTRALIA Under-17 boss Tony Vidmar believes A-League clubs should invest in younger players in a bid to reap the most benefits for clubs and the game in this country.

"A-League clubs should be giving teens a chance to become stars" says Vidmar.

Vidmar says for all the ills of the now-defunct NSL, one thing it did well and often was blood teenagers who eventually made their mark in the game, later representing the Socceroos and earning good contracts in Europe.

“The opportunities to play are becoming less and less for young players,’’ Tony Vidmar said. “I think you can bring in good youngsters who can play at that level and there are some NPL players who have been brought into the A-League and I don’t think they’re up to it.

“You can bring in a young player and in three or four years he may have played 90-odd games and they’re all ambitious. They can go to a club and then you can sell them and by that time you’re producing more players - I think clubs can still do it.”

South Australia’s former NSL clubs Adelaide City and West Adelaide weren’t afraid to play youngsters as young as 15 or 16 and gave them good game time.

City handed former Socceroos Aurelio and Tony Vidmar, Ross and John Aloisi their debuts before their 18th birthdays, Tony Dorigo became an England international after he was selected for City pre-season friendlies at the age of 15 and Carl Veart broke into the side as a 19-year-old from Salisbury United.

All earned contracts abroad.

West also discovered former Socceroo striker Paul Agostino when he was 16.

He became a star striker at TSV 1860 Munich, while Lou Christodoulou made his debut for West at 18 before earning legend status at Panathinaikos in Greece.

Vidmar said A-League coaches and clubs had no reason not to blood teenagers given there was no threat of relegation and six of the 10 clubs qualified for finals.

“Clubs and coaches are afraid that if they don’t get results they’re gone,’’ he said.

“I don’t think they should look at it that way. They’ll keep spending money on foreigners constantly. But you can also produce young players, make some money (in the transfer market) and also save some money (for the salary cap).”

Vidmar also claimed the gap between the A-League and NPL is becoming far too great.

And, once a young player falls out of the A-League system it’s very hard to bounce back, he added.

Rowdy

Screenshot_2016-07-31-12-03-48-1.jpg

Kick-Off off in just under 2 hrs.

Missed the first game televised on Gem, as didn't realise it was on.

Rowdy

Thought this was an interesting article from thecornerflag.com.au (a Victorian based Football site) with many references to the Mariners recent signings; both this season & last.

The growing divide between NPL and A-League:
13838447_1190875214285436_1409968933_o-730x480.jpg

A day after Victoria saw one of its member federation clubs make the Round of 16 for the seventh time – the most out of any state federation – the conversation has once again opened up about the divide between the A-League and the NPL.

FBentleigh Greens were patient zero in the FFA Cup’s inaugural year in 2014, as they were competitive, but ultimately bowed out at the hands of Perth Glory in the Semi-Finals, while yesterday’s heroes Hume City proved more than a handful at the same stage against Melbourne Victory in 2015. Given their impressive run that season and subsequent performance against the then reigning A-League champions, the sentiment was that the gap was fast closing between state and national level.

However, fast-forward to now and we’ve seen a clear direction with player recruitment; those within the largely watertight A-League system favoured over the talent mulling within the member federations. With promotion/relegation still seemingly a long way off in the future, the argument can be made that the A-League is proving a negative breeding ground for Australian talent, in which players have not learnt to truly fight for their careers, and for the future of their club. Given the recent success story of Jai Ingham, who ironically made his name in the FFA Cup for Hume, why is it that A-League clubs aren’t looking closer to home?
579203928.jpg

Melbourne Victory's Jai Ingham (L) scores a goal as Juventus' Luca Coccolo tries to block his shot during the International Champions Cup football match between Italy's Serie A team Juventus and Australia's A-league team Melbourne Victory in Melbourne on July 23, 2016.

Almost six years ago, Football Federation Australia (FFA) introduced the National Competition Review (NCR) in October 2010 with its main objective being to review the current structure of football competitions in Australia, and to monitor and improve elite player development.

This inquiry involved extensive consultation with the football community, all of whom highlighted many grievances and concerns they believed the game in the country had. One of the most common concerns expressed by clubs was that they did not feel part of the development pathway. In May 2012, the result of the NCR were released with the major proposal being to rebrand and revitalise state-based competitions around the country.

The following summer, the FFA announced the establishment of the National Premier Leagues (NPL) with each state premier league being branded under the one banner. Much of the talk following this announcement centred on the newly-implemented NPL bridging the gap between the A-League and its state league counterparts in the hope of creating a promotion/relegation system between the two leagues from 2022 onwards (the 2015 Whole of Football Plan has subsequently cast doubt as to whether that aim is being actively worked on).

The other main intended ambition of the NPL was to enhance elite player development in the select number of clubs across the country who met the rigid criteria involved in gaining an NPL licence. In theory, one of the by-products of this was that players in the NPL senior system were meant to be knocking on the A-League door due to the increased professionalism and quality designated in the premier league/state league competitions. In practice, this has failed to materialise and one must only look at the player movements in the current A-League transfer window to realise the extent of this.

So far this window, there has been a total of 51 additions made between the 10 A-League clubs. From the 51:

• 35 had previously played in the A-League (69%)
  • Four of the players that had not had A-League experience featured in the National Youth League last season, taking the total number of players with any previous experience at an A-League club in any capacity to 39 (76%)

• Filtering out the foreigners, 32 out of 38 additions have A-League experience (84%)
  • Only 1 player moved to an A-League from an NPL environment and that was Brisbane Roar’s teenage signing Kye Rowles from Palm Beach Sharks although the Young Socceroo spent 2015/16 with the FFA Centre of Excellence and is represented by the PFA.
This highlights a growing trend of player recycling between the ten A-League teams with a number of new signings ticking off another club to their growing list of experience. Liam Reddy’s move to Perth makes the Glory his seventh A-League club while fellow shot-stopper Danny Vukovic joining his fifth A-league in Sydney FC – albeit for personal reasons. Outfield players such as Steven Lustica and Michael Zullo are now at their fourth A-League club while Rostyn Griffiths returns to Perth Glory for a second time having previously featured for Adelaide United, North Queensland Fury and the Central Coast Mariners.

Rowdy

Article Continued ....
While many at FFA HQ in Sydney struggle to find effective marketing strategies to promote the competition in the best light possible, there is strong cause for concern that the season 12 might not reach the same heights of previous season’s quality wise given the sheer number of talented players to have left the league this off-season. Aaron Mooy, Matthieu Delpierre, Craig Goodwin, Mark Bridge, Corona, Stefan Mauk, Romeo Castelen, Shane Smeltz, Bruce Djite, Dario Vidosic, Mark Birighitti, Henrqiue, Harry Novillo, Ali Abbas and Pablo Sanchez have departed Australian shores.While many at FFA HQ in Sydney struggle to find effective marketing strategies to promote the competition in the best light possible, there is strong cause for concern that the season 12 might not reach the same heights of previous season’s quality wise given the sheer number of talented players to have left the league this off-season. Aaron Mooy, Matthieu Delpierre, Craig Goodwin, Mark Bridge, Corona, Stefan Mauk, Romeo Castelen, Shane Smeltz, Bruce Djite, Dario Vidosic, Mark Birighitti, Henrqiue, Harry Novillo, Ali Abbas and Pablo Sanchez have departed Australian shores.
521840286.jpg

Popular fan favourites and former internationals Patrick Kisnorbo, Shane Stefanutto and Ben Sigmund have all retired, while the future of the competition’s all-time top goal-scorer Archie Thompson remains in limbo. Kevin Muscat expressed his frustrations last week by arguing that it is tough to recruit players to come play in the A-League due to the increased financial incentives now offered in countries such as Malaysia and Thailand, in addition to top Asian leagues in China, Japan and South Korea.

The host of big-name departures coupled with the low profile of many new signings, many of whom have been tried and tested in an A-League environment, has led many to feel less than excited about the forthcoming season. While the welcome return of fringe Socceroos such as Neil Kilkenny and Rhys Williams to Australian shores is a welcome boost to the competition, as is that of highly touted youngsters such as Joshua Brillante, Bernie Ibini and Adam Taggart, serious questions need to be asked about the quality of the competition and how players are continuously kept in the professional environment, despite showing little to justify their place. This is evident with the recent signings of Kwabena Appiah (Central Coast Mariners), Jesse Makarounas (Adelaide United) and Jacob Pepper (Brisbane Roar) amongst others, with the aforementioned trio being fringe players in the A-League for the past four seasons without ever securing regular game time in the competition.

Meanwhile at an NPL level, the lack of player promotion from the premier state league competitions into the national league goes against the intended aims of the NPL as stipulated upon its implementation in 2013. With the exception of Rowles, no other NPL player has so far made the step-up to the A-League for the upcoming season, a major cause for concern in the eyes of many Australian football fans, particularly those involved at an NPL level.

Based on their recent FFA Cup performances and general strength of the league, Victoria is meant to have the nation’s second strongest competition behind the A-League however not one player has been picked up a professional club this off-season. This despite the success stories of state league graduates such as Sasa Ognenovski, Rodrigo Vargas and Ivan Franjic, all of whom later become Socceroos having initially spent the early years of the A-League plying their trade in the VPL.

While critics might point to the perceived ineffectiveness of the Mariners four Victorian NPL signings last season, it is important to add that timing and the right environment are important ingredients to success with the league cellar-dwellers not being a suitable surroundings for the likes of Bray, Heffernan, Stella and Uskok to thrive in. In addition to this, Ingham has put on a number of respectable outings following his January move to the Victory after joining the club from Hume. This culminated with a goal against reigning 5-time Serie A Champions Juventus last Saturday night after some solid contributions in the Victory’s Asian Champions League campaign.

However their appears to be a general lack of faith from A-League managers regarding NPL talent, a trend that has continued into this off-season and is now more noticeable than ever before. To suggest this is due to NPL players being far inferior to their professional counterparts is questionable given a player like James Brown who made over 80 A-League appearances in seven seasons has so far struggled in his time at Avondale, failing to make any telling contributions in his first five games for the club.

Brown is not alone and many other former top tier players have dropped down to the NPL after years of being recycled in the A-League without ever showing the quality needed to succeed at the top level. With the absence of a promotion/relegation set to continue in the near future, pressure-cooker environments seen elsewhere in the world are unlikely to be replicated Down Under when the A-League itself breeds player complacency and unashamedly harnesses mediocrity in its standards.

Rowdy

Screenshot_2016-08-17-18-53-33-1_zpsizi8r7r2.png

Injuries cost A-League sides almost $4.4 million last season, $300,000 more than the year before, according to the latest study by Professional Footballers Australia.

The PFA have published an annual A-League injury report since the competition began in 2005 to to identify trends and develop strategies to counter them and minimise future problems.

Despite that though, the new report says the number of injuries over the course of last season was also on the rise with 156 injuries across the 10 sides.

But while the number of injuries has increased, their severity has improved...slightly

The number of games missed through injury decreased by 3.2% to 669 games down from 691 games in 2014/15. However those short-term injuries are costing the league more.
ImageResizer.ashx

Almost a third (30.2%) of games missed were the result of 26 knee injuries that plagued the league last season with Sydney's Nick Carle and Corey Gameiro among those who suffered serious knee injuries.

Each club saw on average 15.6 players miss league games through injury, with 2.5 players per team unavailable each game on average.

The report adds that AFL players return to fitness 13.75% quicker than A-League players. As a result, A-League players missed an average of 4.29 games per injury while AFL players were back in action after 3.7 games on average.

The PFA recommended clubs take special measures to prevent knee injuries and concussions, and also backed a rethinking of domestic and international competition schedules.
ImageResizer.ashx

PFA Chief Executive John Didulica highlighted the importance of the annual reports in promoting safety for the athletes.

“The findings of the report are important in the PFA’s efforts to ensure the A-League aspires to best practice,” he said.

“But also more broadly is intended as a resource we can engage proactively with the clubs and the FFA to ensure player health and safety has ongoing visibility."

Didulica also revealed further efforts by both the PFA and the FFA are being taken to further reduce the impact of injuries on the players and the league.

“New A-League Minimum Medical Standards have just been agreed between the PFA and FFA,” he said.

“The effective implementation and monitoring of these standards will be fundamental to the further reduction of injuries.”

Almost a third (30.2%) of games missed were the result of 26 knee injuries that plagued the league last season with Sydney's Nick Carle and Corey Gameiro among those who suffered serious knee injuries.

Each club saw on average 15.6 players miss league games through injury, with 2.5 players per team unavailable each game on average.

The report adds that AFL players return to fitness 13.75% quicker than A-League players. As a result, A-League players missed an average of 4.29 games per injury while AFL players were back in action after 3.7 games on average.

The PFA recommended clubs take special measures to prevent knee injuries and concussions, and also backed a rethinking of domestic and international competition schedules.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami