• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Boys conquering the world

Stuartmcateer

Think we can agree, its another move that was a season too soon.
The context of "too soon" has changed over the last decade or so.

In football terms it's too soon in the sense that none of the young players are ready to walk in to a starting lineup at a decent level, with many of them barely having played a full game in the a league (arzani, garang, irankunda).

But the money for the club is too good to knock back and the wages these guys are now capable of commanding is life-changing. You can understand why they jump as soon as possible.

Insertnamehere

The context of "too soon" has changed over the last decade or so.

In football terms it's too soon in the sense that none of the young players are ready to walk in to a starting lineup at a decent level, with many of them barely having played a full game in the a league (arzani, garang, irankunda).

But the money for the club is too good to knock back and the wages these guys are now capable of commanding is life-changing. You can understand why they jump as soon as possible.
Absolutely agree. But its short termism. I get the fear of second year syndrome and cashing in while your stocks are the highest. What we see is most of their careers stall and they don't hit their ceiling. Its more a selfishness for wanting the roos to have the option for the best possibly players.

Coastalraider

Absolutely agree. But its short termism. I get the fear of second year syndrome and cashing in while your stocks are the highest. What we see is most of their careers stall and they don't hit their ceiling. It’s more a selfishness for wanting the roos to have the option for the best possibly players.
History is littered with players who only had one good year, got a career ending injury, or went through a recovery and never hit the same heights as before.

Each of these players has been offered ‘set yourself for life’ money and I do t begrudge them one moment djr taking it - it’s a damn short term career.

It’s not like the real world where you have 40-50 years of career progression, at best you get 15 years, at worst you end up in the scrap heap with a dodgy acl.

You have to take it while it’s there.

Stuartmcateer

Absolutely agree. But its short termism. I get the fear of second year syndrome and cashing in while your stocks are the highest. What we see is most of their careers stall and they don't hit their ceiling. Its more a selfishness for wanting the roos to have the option for the best possibly players.
It's all about the $$$.

You look at the golden generation and with the exception of a few they all made good careers in the NSL and then kicked on, a good portion of them having made the national team. Even the likes of mooy had to come back here and play a-league before he was really ready for his European career to take off.

But it's easier to stay here a few years longer when you are talking about going from $100k a year to 3-400k. Going from <100k a year to 30k a week is a much different story.

And transfer fees means the clubs have no choice but to sell. Viduka went to Zagreb for a couple of hundred grand and irankunda is getting 3 mill. What would he be in today's money. It's mind boggling as there is no way irankunda even ties his laces.

Big Al

Just because he isn’t playing doesn’t mean it’s to early. He has gone to a high league and is making the bench. It’s not like he is buried in the squad.

CB’s don’t get subbed like attackers so opportunities are less and if you make a mistake or two you are crucified unlike and attacker who can get away with a bad pass or shit shot etc.

He is still young and while playing would be better training at that level is also good. He just needs an opportunity and keep working. Expectations to just walk in to these teams are a bit to high

Hatty Soutar can’t get minutes in the same league

Michael

Just because he isn’t playing doesn’t mean it’s to early. He has gone to a high league and is making the bench. It’s not like he is buried in the squad.

CB’s don’t get subbed like attackers so opportunities are less and if you make a mistake or two you are crucified unlike and attacker who can get away with a bad pass or shit shot etc.

He is still young and while playing would be better training at that level is also good. He just needs an opportunity and keep working. Expectations to just walk in to these teams are a bit to high

Hatty Soutar can’t get minutes in the same league
I disagree
Staying here another season wouldn’t have hurt the interest in him. He would’ve gained more experience and more exposure. Yeah ofcourse the training at that level is all well and good but doesn’t beat playing regularly or even semi regularly (like Silvera).
Garang went too early, imagine if he stayed up until now? Yeah the money in his case is a totally different story, but my argument is the same… what if Garang turns into another Bernie Ibini? All the potential in the world but chases pay checks and is retired by 29…

There’s absolutely no harm for our prodigal youth talents staying here an extra season or even 2, particularly in a successful side like ours.

I fear Di Pizio will be leaving too early even at seasons end too, but I respect him immensely for pushing to stay right now. Very smart on his behalf.

Stuartmcateer

Garang went too early, imagine if he stayed up until now? Yeah the money in his case is a totally different story, but my argument is the same… what if Garang turns into another Bernie Ibini? All the potential in the world but chases pay checks and is retired by 29…
Or.......

Imagine he stays and gets a tackle that tears his ACL and he isn't the same again ??‍♂️

There’s absolutely no harm for our prodigal youth talents staying here an extra season or even 2, particularly in a successful side like ours.
It's not going to harm them, but it rips 1-2 years off an already short window to set themselves up for life.

Big Al

I disagree
Staying here another season wouldn’t have hurt the interest in him. He would’ve gained more experience and more exposure. Yeah ofcourse the training at that level is all well and good but doesn’t beat playing regularly or even semi regularly (like Silvera).

I fear Di Pizio will be leaving too early even at seasons end too, but I respect him immensely for pushing to stay right now. Very smart on his behalf.
Fair enough and have no issues with that opinion. Every player wants to play.

Another side of it is A League has a certain level to it. Triantis was already above its level in 1 yr.
So playing again just stifles his progression. Sure he plays but what does he learn and improve on or go to the next level. You need to go and try and see what you have

Corsair

I disagree

You have overlooked Garang's family situation. No way he's turning that money down. Anything could have happened if he stayed another season, at that kind of money in his personal situation you make hay while the sun shines.

Nector probably could have stayed but what happens if he gets there and their main CB gets a bad injury.... he's got his chance.

What Di Pizio appears to have ended up with seems like the best outcome. Get the deal with a caveat that you stay a season.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred