• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCMFC New Chairman and Substantial Investment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Overboard

How does it dilute their investment? Any new owners would be buying in and new clubs will be directed to areas with untapped potential which strengthens the league. Places like Canberra, Tas, Gold Coast, Auckland , Wollongong all meet that brief.
Businesses with monopolies and cartels prefer the status quo. Expansion dilutes the value of their investments because one twelfth of a pizza is better than a fifteenth of a pizza. If licences become more numerous, they become cheaper and devalue others. I think existing club owners will resist relegation just as they will resist expansion. Logically the FFA would insist on any expansion into those areas you indicate but logic and the FFA dont always go hand in hand.

turbo

Businesses with monopolies and cartels prefer the status quo. Expansion dilutes the value of their investments because one twelfth of a pizza is better than a fifteenth of a pizza. If licences become more numerous, they become cheaper and devalue others. I think existing club owners will resist relegation just as they will resist expansion. Logically the FFA would insist on any expansion into those areas you indicate but logic and the FFA dont always go hand in hand.
The FFA has nothing to do with expansion aside from maybe having a veto power. They may be able to force promotion and relegation after the existing licenses expire (2035 I think) but there’s a lot of prep work needed to get there.

The main thing you’re missing in your pizza analogy is a slightly thinner slice of a bigger pizza is still more pizza. More areas represented drives interest and creates new fans, less repeated games reduces fatigue, new teams and faces keeps the league fresh and interesting to casuals, it creates more opportunities for local talent which is good for the league and national team. It provides more content for broadcasters which can grow revenue. The benefits outweigh the negatives by far and like I said they’re buying in not getting in for free.

14 teams gets the league to a proper home and away season and has been a target for some time. The only issue might be timing and not wanting to sell licenses while value has been hit by covid and crowd downturns.

Last edited:

Man Overboard

The FFA has nothing to do with expansion aside from maybe having a veto power. They may be able to force promotion and relegation after the existing licenses expire (2035 I think) but there’s a lot of prep work needed to get there.

The main thing you’re missing in your pizza analogy is a slightly thinner slice of a bigger pizza is still more pizza. More areas represented drives interest and creates new fans, less repeated games reduces fatigue, new teams and faces keeps the league fresh and interesting to casuals, it creates more opportunities for local talent which is good for the league and national team. It provides more content for broadcasters which can grow revenue. The benefits outweigh the negatives by far and like I said they’re buying in not getting in for free.

14 teams gets the league to a proper home and away season and has been a target for some time. The only issue might be timing and not wanting to sell licenses while value has been hit by covid and crowd downturns.
I didnt think the FFA had control over expansion either, but an extract from the link states:

"The regulatory functions of Football Australia also include a new club licensing framework for the Professional Leagues and control over access to the Professional Leagues (whether by expansion, contraction, or promotion/relegation), the AFC Champions League, FFA Cup and all other domestic and international competitions."
I hope the pizza does get bigger too, but after many years of promoting our code, football crowds seem to be dropping, [not increasing] and the competition from other sports doesn't suggest that such growth is certain. More areas represented doesn't necessarily result in greater interest, or more fans- eg Gold Coast and NQ Fury.
I'm keen for expansion in the areas you indicate too, but I also think relegation and promotion is necessary to prevent any repetition of low spending perennial wooden spooning.

I love your optimism, and only wish you could influence the FFA and APL into the direction you suggest.

Last edited:

Melange

I didnt think the FFA had control over expansion either, but an extract from the link states:

"The regulatory functions of Football Australia also include a new club licensing framework for the Professional Leagues and control over access to the Professional Leagues (whether by expansion, contraction, or promotion/relegation), the AFC Champions League, FFA Cup and all other domestic and international competitions."
I hope the pizza does get bigger too, but after many years of promoting our code, football crowds seem to be dropping, [not increasing] and the competition from other sports doesn't suggest that such growth is certain. More areas represented doesn't necessarily result in greater interest, or more fans- eg Gold Coast and NQ Fury.
I'm keen for expansion in the areas you indicate too, but I also think relegation and promotion is necessary to prevent any repetition of low spending perennial wooden spooning.

I love your optimism, and only wish you could influence the FFA and APL into the direction you suggest.

I really think a second division and relegation are the keys to the ALeague really taking off. Reuniting old football and igniting the interest of the broader sports following public because it's a unique selling point no other code offers.

samster

Just finished watching the episode of 'Round Ball Rules' and the panel made the investment sound very positive for mariners fans and discussed Monty staying on + the fruits of our academy setup. I wouldn't have thought there would be this sort of discussion if there had been any whispers of relocation

Huddo

Not so sure. Canberrans love sport, and have a larger population base [Click on each for results]

V

The Central Canberra Mariners team would probs also attract inland rural fans, Wagga etc while the CC is constrained by Sydney and Newcastle whose populations are most likely committed to other clubs, so little future growth for memberships.

Two issues. One, compitition from a NRL and Rugby teams, and two, a lack of supporters because of poor form can not be supplemented by travelling supporters.
2 areas the Mariners don't have to deal with.

I'm not gunna panic about any assumptions, I'll just wait and see what this bloke can bring and what direction he wants from the club.

For as much as people might hate MC, he kept the club on the coast ( and kept the dream alive), lets hope that the new major investor will set this position as the starting point.

Yorkshire Mariners FC

Not so sure. Canberrans love sport, and have a larger population base [Click on each for results]

V

The Central Canberra Mariners team would probs also attract inland rural fans, Wagga etc while the CC is constrained by Sydney and Newcastle whose populations are most likely committed to other clubs, so little future growth for memberships.
They failed to turn up on the many occasions we did our annual pilgrimage.

Corsair

The real value in the club at the moment is the academy and selling young players overseas. It sounds like there is a good pipeline of young players coming through. Moving to Canberra would upset that Apple cart. We're also in our best season for years with what looks like a coach with great prospects.

I can't see why you'd spend 10 mil on a new license and go through all the spend on branding, marketing, legal fees, etc. if you could get a slice of a proven business with prospects for less money and less risk. Wouldn't make sense to move to (cold, dreary) Canberra.

samster

Yorkshire Mariners FC

The real value in the club at the moment is the academy and selling young players overseas. It sounds like there is a good pipeline of young players coming through. Moving to Canberra would upset that Apple cart. We're also in our best season for years with what looks like a coach with great prospects.

I can't see why you'd spend 10 mil on a new license and go through all the spend on branding, marketing, legal fees, etc. if you could get a slice of a proven business with prospects for less money and less risk. Wouldn't make sense to move to (cold, dreary) Canberra.
I love your premise. Is our team better than last season's team that came 3rd?

samster

crock

The majority owner is Richard Pell... as per the above...

Richard Pell ... there is a few that come up when you type in the name add + Australian and you keep getting Cardinal Pell ..

Anyone know who Richard Pell is
i dont know how true that is tbh

midfielder

My reading of the tea leaf's and tarot cards ...... is we stay on the Coast... the new owner may also be looking to a stadium deal upsized from Charlesworth's...

Because Richard Pell assuming the above chart is correct is the new owner already... whats in the mix now is the checks from APL and others and until the final tick it can't be officially announced.

The panel seem to know a lot more than they were saying and they showed no negativity .... to me thats a good sign

Rising Sun

The majority owner is Richard Pell... as per the above...

Richard Pell ... there is a few that come up when you type in the name add + Australian and you keep getting Cardinal Pell ..

Anyone know who Richard Pell is
Do you use the same optician as Shaun Evans? ?
It says Peil not Pell. Richard Peil is the owner of Anytime Fitness.

Or maybe Cardinal Pell is going to buy us and relocate us to the Vatican

Forum Phoenix

As I have said in the past, why would the APL, or then FFA, allow a licence to relocate when they can get $10m selling a new licence?
Exactly. Have argued this before also AM. Not to mention create an avalanche of terrible press and branding for the league. And many, many years of every CCM supporter trashing the league on socials. They need some wins. Not what would be the worst PR disaster in the leagues history.

Also isn't greater expansion and a second division a target required by FIFA/AFC?

Cannibalising a regional success story club... despite "rumours" hard to believe anyone could be that stupid.

Last edited:

bikinigirl

They failed to turn up on the many occasions we did our annual pilgrimage.

. worse than that

. fans that went to watch the women in a double header left before the men's game. they want their own team - not a part time team and not relocated team

. this was despite heavy promotion from the FA, the league and the team with a lot of press about testing the waters for a team in Canberra and fans needing to prove support existed

. nobody wins from such a relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member