• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Coast Football Ramble Podcast

priorpeter

Good Pod lads. I thought Tyson has some very good insights, though he was a bit OTT regarding Ruon but you all were.

Overall, a very well put together Poddie.
Cheers Wombat - Tyson is a very good analyst, knows the game well. Was great having him on this week and hope to have him on more as the season progresses!
I thought we were fair on Ruon - yes we were critical but he’s been a shadow of 20/21 RT who (as I mentioned) j thought was one of the best defenders in the league last season. Would love to see him back to his best soon but it’s gonna be a really tough ask to push Hall or Kye out!

marinermick

Cheers Wombat - Tyson is a very good analyst, knows the game well. Was great having him on this week and hope to have him on more as the season progresses!
I thought we were fair on Ruon - yes we were critical but he’s been a shadow of 20/21 RT who (as I mentioned) j thought was one of the best defenders in the league last season. Would love to see him back to his best soon but it’s gonna be a really tough ask to push Hall or Kye out!

Agreed one hundred percent with Tyson on the Ruon situation. If he is struggling with firm at centre back, why would you move him to a new position in midfield?

Wombat

Agreed one hundred percent with Tyson on the Ruon situation. If he is struggling with firm at centre back, why would you move him to a new position in midfield?
I wouldn't but many people want to see if he can play 6 because we are getting slaughtered there each week. He is big and tough, can tackle and can drive forward. He is also a decent passer. The question mark for me would be touch and speed. Some people think he could be a Jedinak in that possie.
Our current options are not really working so do we play Nizzy there or give Ruon a try?
I understand his form is down but I feel he deserves more respect than he has been getting. Maxy or Harry can be absolutely gash and not a word is spoken. ( Apparently Covid only affects them and not Ruon.
I feel both Maxy and Harry will be great next season but Maxy can't run (track back) and Harry can't pass forward.
Anyways Pete.....brilliant Pod and the Ground announcing was next level tonight.....mumbles....."The scorer for macarthur was Number 11."

pjennings

No doubt covid has had a big effect. Muller's introduction into midfield also made Marcos and Jason look a lot more dangerous. He provided some good balls but was also a player that the opposition had trouble with and freed up room for the other two. Also freed up Ollie to some extent as well. Once he is at full fitness I would expect him to be like a new signing.

Forum Phoenix

Maybe coaches have worked us out?

Clearly. But tough one for Monty. Take some balls to make a major formation change right now. By necessity been focused on getting some rhythm and fitness back and now we have so many games and tight turn arounds coming coming up... not much time for practice ... and a younger squad who will take longer to adapt... and we all know too often tinkering only makes things worse. We could be all but throwing our season away if we tried any drastic changes and failed across this next month.

Imo neither a 433 nor a 4231 suits our squad in terms of getting our best 11 on the park. 442 narrow diamond is better, but still doesn't fit imo. Do you play Olly at the base of the diamond...? He's most effective when he's further forward and definitely adds to our attack. Put him LM, like Arnie did? And he won't see as much ball or control games for us like he does now. Presumably, Niz RM and another of our wingers gets dropped to accommodate, Ballard at the base of the diamond??

Our wingbacks also wouldn't be balanced in attack. (not to mention Miller is currently struggling to get through a game)

Who played in a 3

Possible, and I think likely, that you're both right on this one.

But again... how to solve it... As I've banged on about before, I think (a fully fit) Niz in beside Olly is probably the best, high percentage, quick fix that we have. It won't markedly improve our ball winning or the breaking up of play, though NIz does do that well within reason, but it would at least help stop the main way other teams have been stopping us by choking our distribution point and putting pressure on it till it crumbles. Niz is very hard to get the ball off and so often can find a way to turn and play it forward and get our attack going. And I'd put Moresche to RM.

BUT, The above is precisely what Mueller just did. Monty has to be happy with how that played out. So you'd think we'll see him start to be replaced by Ballard or Steele later on.

Last edited:

Ironbark

This is the first time we're talking about having a full strength squad too (Simon the exception)

Last night it was notable that we had Urena, Cummings, Mueller, Moresche and Cy on at the same time. First time ever. Add Ollie, Nizz and the back 4 writing itself and when at full fitness Monty has some pondering to do about formation and tactics that we can use that weren't within our wheelhouse before now.

I feel like last night and maybe even the next couple of games will be a transition period as he figures out how the players coming into fitness actually go, and how best to set up. If the answer is they come to full fitness and reliability for match time, we may see a redirection in style to some degree to suit the cattle we have available. First step is introducing or reintroducing those players before tweaking strategy too much, I'd imagine. But we keep fielding a squad like that and options really open up.

That said I'm very mixed on how I'd set up with the players we have.

For me our strongest players are, in no particular order: Birraz, Miller, Hall, Kye, Faz, Ollie, Niz, Muller, Urena, Cummings, Mueller, Moresche. That's 12 because I can't pick who I'd drop and leaving out some decent options like Cy, Balard, Ruon, Beni et al. for the bench.

It's the best squad we've had in nearly a decade, and we have a coach who can coach.

This window will define what we become playing style-wise. Regardless, the fire is in the belly and with the quality we have some exciting games ahead.

Remember - the best teams can still only beat us with a minimum of 2 absolute worldies.

Tevor

Clearly. But tough one for Monty. Take some balls to make a major formation change right now. By necessity been focused on getting some rhythm and fitness back and now we have so many games and tight turn arounds coming coming up... not much time for practice ... and a younger squad who will take longer to adapt... and we all know too often tinkering only makes things worse. We could be all but throwing our season away if we tried to any drastic change and failed across this next month.

Imo neither a 433 nor a 4231 suits our squad in terms of getting our best 11 on the park. 442 narrow diamond is better, but still doesn't fit imo. Do you play Olly at the base of the diamond...? He's most effective when he's further forward and definitely adds to our attack. Put him LM, like Arnie did? And he won't see as much ball or control games for us like he does now. Presumably, Niz RM and another of our wingers gets dropped to accommodate, Ballard at the base of the diamond??

Our wingbacks also wouldn't be balanced in attack. (not to mention Miller is currently struggling to get through a game)

Possible, and I think likely, that you're both right on this one.

But again... how to solve it... As I've banged on about before, I think (a fully fit) Niz in beside Olly is probably the best, high percentage, quick fix that we have. It won't markedly improve our ball winning or the breaking up of play, though NIz does do that well within reason, but it would at least help stop the main way other teams have been stopping us by choking our distribution point and putting pressure on it till it crumbles. Niz is very hard to get the ball off and so often can find a way to turn and play it forward and get our attack going. And I'd put Moresche to RM.

BUT, The above is precisely what Muller just did. Monty has to be happy with how that played out. So you'd think we'll see him start to be replaced by Ballard or Steele later on.
Great summation.

Big Al

We are getting slaughtered in the centre because we play a 2 man midfield and most other side's play with 3.
Steele and Ballard don’t control the ball well enough yet. They are simply not ready for the job. They need 12months building size fitness and skill like Miller and Hall have.

Soon as we had muller who has superior ball skills we were fine.

That said I agree we have been worked out. Cows exposed that whole big time in the 1st half but they have two dribbling ballerinas that destroyed there advantages

Forum Phoenix

Loved the last pod. As usual.

Putting in an early question for the next one.

If Niz is fit, what the actual f**k is Monty doing leaving him out of the starting 11 against Perth? And then only bringing him on so late? If not at DM, Mueller in only his second start was gassed for one.

Does anyone else really believe that Ballard or Steele offer more to our starting 11?

I love Monty, but this is the first big worry I've had.

Kilsin

Check-in on the G.O.A.T. Matty Simon, is he back to full training? how is he overall? any plans to play again before the end of the season? retirement thoughts? (we want to give him an almighty send-off if he does consider it so we need to know!)

Monty - Thoughts on our formation going forward? Have teams figured us out?

Shaun - Thoughts on how to get more bums on seats at home games? Stadium management news? (as PJ asked), Any new interested parties for the sale of the club?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred