• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Have we reached bottom yet?

Ancient Mariner

Over the last 5 years I would consider myself to have been one of the most optimistic posters on this forum. I defended Walmsley’s entertaining football, I hoped initially Okon’s Ange ball could work for us and kept expecting that the team would show the form of the first few games under Okon where they looked good.

When Okon left, and before Mulvey’s appointment,things did not look too great, we lost Roux, not seen as a great loss at the time (error), we were having continual arguments with DDS and lost him, Wout decided that the CCM adventure was not fun anymore and left. Our two most promising up and coming local juniors Lachie and TBT had had enough.

The optimism for the future was that we were going to get a new coach and hopefully something to be optimistic about.

Along with many other fans, all armed with flaming torches and pitchforks, I went along to here what the future would hold. Optimism was provided in the form of Mike Mulvey who was going to make the Coast great again. No more commuting to Sydney, every player would be a Coastie and all had to be willing to die for the team. He talked the talk and I like MOST of those present left with a feeling of optimism, again.

The signings that were made to fill the many gaps, in the main were not overly thrilling, Simon (no longer wanted on the bench at SFC) and Wee Mac (not good enough for the Nux) both supposed to bring back the old spirit. Cisse talked out of retirement for a bit more money to add to his pension completed the list of geriatrics who would not get on the bench elsewhere in the A-League. Then we signed the injured and infirm with fingers crossed that they could recover, Gamiero who has had so many chances to find fitness and Aspro also battling a major setback.

Then there were a host of NPL signings and other club leftovers of which the only one to show form is Millar.

Add that to the leftovers who still had a contract of which the only one who would get a game elsewhere is Pain and the squad is looking a bit pedestrian with big gaps, keeper, fullback and #10.

There was reason for optimism however with the loan deal of O’Neil, possibly the best of the signings so far.

Then wonder of wonders it appears that MC has been convinced either by Phelan or action on the FFA front to loosen the purse stings and we get Ross on loan (wow a real striker) and sign Oar (who once showed promise). Maybe there is the foundations of a team somewhere in this mix, maybe.

We were entertained and got great publicity from the Bolt circus, the pre season looked promising, maybe we could jag 6th.

Then the season began for real.

Like that famous African tribe the Fukawe, where the f*** are we?

7 games in with two draws.

Ross shows why he is so loved at Villa and is gone, Oar is seldom seen and when he is shows little. We are toothless in attack. Kennedy performs as to expectations. Our old players look old. Our defence is disorganized. Our injured signings are still injured.

However shit happens.

But what is worrying me is that our great hope, and only reason for any future optimism, Mike Mulvey appears to be in a time warp and living in an A-League long past. He has said he would have liked to have signed Berisha, he has great wraps on Hoole and appears to believe our best DM is Melling, who may have enough ability to get a start in one of the NPL teams.

But the thing that is really killing me and causing total loss of confidence in the future, is that the one class player (Tommy H.) who would literally walk into any other A-League’s club starting line up cannot convince the coach of his worth.

Kossie is right we are a club that can only attract players that cannot get a start elsewhere. We have a the squad that Mulvey wants, ie players who want to be here. But the reason they want to be here is because they are not wanted elsewhere.

We have become the elephants’ graveyard of the league.

For all my optimism of the past, I am sorry, it is all gone. I cannot see a way out. I am almost thinking it would have been better for the Club to fold under the weight of debt, and to have not been saved by Charlesworth's buyout, and been left with proud memories, rather than to go on through years of this living death.

I look forward to someone here convincing me that there is hope

Last edited:

Antlion

I laughed when I saw the thread title.

This last game against wsw was when I realised that against all sense, logic and balance the only way is not up bayyyybee

pjennings

For all my optimism of the past, I am sorry, it is all gone. I cannot see a way out. I am almost thinking it would have been better for the Club to fold under the weight of debt, with proud memories, rather than to go on through years of this living death.

Gawd that was depressing and I agree and identify with your post up to and including the bolded part However, I can't agree with the last part.

The last five years have been excruciating but the first eight more than made up for it. Players come and go, managers come and go, owners come and go. But make no mistake if the Club was to fold before a proper football pyramid is established then the Central Coast will lose access to the top level of football forever.

My only faint optimistic note is that an independent HAL may bring more investors into the league.

Last edited:

priorpeter

Over the last 5 years I would consider myself to have been one of the most optimistic posters on this forum. I defended Walmsley’s entertaining football, I hoped initially Okon’s Ange ball could work for us and kept expecting that the team would show the form of the first few games under Okon where they looked good.

When Okon left, and before Mulvey’s appointment,things did not look too great, we lost Roux, not seen as a great loss at the time (error), we were having continual arguments with DDS and lost him, Wout decided that the CCM adventure was not fun anymore and left. Our two most promising up and coming local juniors Lachie and TBT had had enough.

The optimism for the future was that we were going to get a new coach and hopefully something to be optimistic about.

Along with many other fans, all armed with flaming torches and pitchforks, I went along to here what the future would hold. Optimism was provided in the form of Mike Mulvey who was going to make the Coast great again. No more commuting to Sydney, every player would be a Coastie and all had to be willing to die for the team. He talked the talk and I like MOST of those present left with a feeling of optimism, again.

The signings that were made to fill the many gaps, in the main were not overly thrilling, Simon (no longer wanted on the bench at SFC) and Wee Mac (not good enough for the Nux) both supposed to bring back the old spirit. Cisse talked out of retirement for a bit more money to add to his pension completed the list of geriatrics who would not get on the bench elsewhere in the A-League. Then we signed the injured and infirm with fingers crossed that they could recover, Gamiero who has had so many chances to find fitness and Aspro also battling a major setback.

Then there were a host of NPL signings and other club leftovers of which the only one to show form is Millar.

Add that to the leftovers who still had a contract of which the only one who would get a game elsewhere is Pain and the squad is looking a bit pedestrian with big gaps, keeper, fullback and #10.

There was reason for optimism however with the loan deal of O’Neil, possibly the best of the signings so far.

Then wonder of wonders it appears that MC has been convinced either by Phelan or action on the FFA front to loosen the purse stings and we get Ross on loan (wow a real striker) and sign Oar (who once showed promise). Maybe there is the foundations of a team somewhere in this mix, maybe.

We were entertained and got great publicity from the Bolt circus, the pre season looked promising, maybe we could jag 6th.

Ross shows why he is so loved at Villa and is gone, Oar is seldom seen and when he is shows little. We are toothless in attack. Kennedy performs as to expectations. Our old players look old. Our defence is disorganized. Our injured signings are still injured.

However shit happens.

But what is worrying me is that our great hope, and only reason for any future optimism, Mike Mulvey appears to be in a time warp and living in an A-League long past. He has said he would have liked to have signed Berisha, he has great wraps on Hoole and appears to believe our best DM is Melling, who may have enough ability to get a start in one of the NPL teams.

But the thing that is really killing me and causing total loss of confidence in the future, is that the one class player (Tommy H.) who would literally walk into any other A-League’s club starting line up cannot convince the coach of his worth.

Kossie is right we are a club that can only attract players that cannot get a start elsewhere. We have a the squad that Mulvey wants, ie players who want to be here. But the reason they want to be here is because they are not wanted elsewhere.

For all my optimism of the past, I am sorry, it is all gone. I cannot see a way out. I am almost thinking it would have been better for the Club to fold under the weight of debt, and to have not been saved by Charlesworth's buyout, and been left with proud memories, rather than to go on through years of this living death.

This post speaks to me on a spiritual level.

Wombat

However shit happens.

Remember Tyson Fury two weekends ago. Getting knocked down in the 12th rd and close to be counted out. The eyes open and up he jumps. Incredibly he goes on to win the last 60secs of the fight. Had the WBC not been corrupt he would have had a unanimous win and been World Champ after 2 years out of the ring. Due to the uproar around the judging of the fight the WBC have announced an immediate rematch.
We are Fury of 2 years ago, fat, bloated and drug f**ked but he showed that with hard work and self belief miracles do happen.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

Remember Tyson Fury two weekends ago. Getting knocked down in the 12th rd and close to be counted out. The eyes open and up he jumps. Incredibly he goes on to win the last 60secs of the fight. Had the WBC not been corrupt he would have had a unanimous win and been World Champ after 2 years out of the ring. Due to the uproar around the judging of the fight the WBC have announced an immediate rematch.
We are Fury of 2 years ago, fat, bloated and drug f**ked but he showed that with hard work and self belief miracles do happen.
Thanks wombat.
Remind me to be the first to buy you a beer when the miracle happens, I will still be here.
And no, I had not been drinking when I made that post. I was, and am seeing things clearly, unfortunately.

Offsider

I don’t know that comparing somebody’s own self belief miracle can transcribe into a team environment that is controlled by an owner with a fat bloated wallet that he alone controls.:doh:

turbo

I'm starting to think we're a worse team than we were last year. On paper we shouldn't be but last year we could have been a decent threat if we had a half decent striker and we may well have avoided the collapse that happened. We still look poor in attack and have lost the midfield and back line control we had previously.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Ge8dS8.jpg

localpom

Not quite, on the ropes as opposed to the canvas. Season is still rescuable but we have to win 2 of the next 3 games i feel. The home games against the Scum and Perth in particular. Mulvey needs to settle on a settled team and formation quickly. I would give Murray an extended run to prove himself, a game here and there isn't going to work as it will take him a little while to adjust to A league football. We have no one else who will score on a regular basis (with McCormack injured) so give the guy a run.
Likewise, keep the back 4 of Millar, Cisse, Rowles and Clisby together for a decent run of games, as well as Tommy and Aiden as DM.
We have no genuine # 10, long shot but we need to build for the future and would love to see Nisbet given a run. Can't be any worse.
When we get Aspro, Gameiro, Ross (?) and Oar back we will have a bit more depth.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Settle on a squad, Wishful thinking Local , the only guarantees we have are that Kennedy will play, Tom won’t and Smellying will clog up midfield ( until he gets out of the way of a guy lining up a shot that is)

Antlion

Not quite, on the ropes as opposed to the canvas. Season is still rescuable but we have to win 2 of the next 3 games i feel. The home games against the Scum and Perth in particular. Mulvey needs to settle on a settled team and formation quickly. I would give Murray an extended run to prove himself, a game here and there isn't going to work as it will take him a little while to adjust to A league football. We have no one else who will score on a regular basis (with McCormack injured) so give the guy a run.
Likewise, keep the back 4 of Millar, Cisse, Rowles and Clisby together for a decent run of games, as well as Tommy and Aiden as DM.
We have no genuine # 10, long shot but we need to build for the future and would love to see Nisbet given a run. Can't be any worse.
When we get Aspro, Gameiro, Ross (?) and Oar back we will have a bit more depth.
100%. Don't know what the answer to number 10 is, and I suspect that a back 3 will become our settled formation

localpom

Settle on a squad, Wishful thinking Local , the only guarantees we have are that Kennedy will play, Tom won’t and Smellying will clog up midfield ( until he gets out of the way of a guy lining up a shot that is)
Wishful thinking is all i have left. :)

Offsider

Wishful thinking is all i have left. :)

No no ........no.
It is not your fault that wishful thinking is not working for you ............ all the wishes are being used up at the moment by the cricketers. They have dibs being an aussie rep team. Next in line are the wallabies and not far behind are the lib/nat party and at the bottom of the list ...........,, oh wait ??
Bottom again :doh:

Might I suggest give reality a try:shoutclap:....... no different result than wishful ........... but without the wait :thumbup:

Scotty

However shit happens.

Great post Ancient, well said. Unfortunately, it sums up the situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami