• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Heff back if we make GF????

FFC Mariner

From the SMH (with sauce of course)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/heffernan-planning-miracle-comeback-as-mariners-prepare-to-go-on-the-offensive/2008/01/30/1201369227904.html

1) Fringe footballeroo my arse, he would walk into that side if fit
2) 3 up front next week???

Heffernan planning miracle comeback as Mariners prepare to go on the offensive
Michael Cockerill
January 31, 2008

FRINGE Socceroos defender Dean Heffernan is aiming to make a miracle comeback from a broken leg if Central Coast Mariners make the grand final.

Heffernan has been sidelined since the weekend before Christmas after coming off second-best in a collision with Sydney FC midfielder Ufuk Talay, and it had been assumed he would be out not only for the remainder of the season but for much of the off-season. But Heffernan's swift recovery has stunned his doctors, and yesterday he admitted he was dreaming of the seemingly impossible - a cameo role in the title decider on February 24.

"It was a clean break, which obviously helps, and I'm now walking OK, and feeling pretty good," he said.

"It's been six weeks so far, the doctors told me it would take 12 weeks, and that's got me thinking, 'Why not make it nine weeks?' Playing in the grand final has started to cross my mind. We're not talking 90 minutes, and I won't do anything stupid. But if I can get back to training with the boys in the week before the game, why not 10-15 minutes off the bench? I know it's a long shot, but that's the target."

Whether Central Coast can make the grand final remains to be seen after they lost the opening leg of the major semi-final against arch-rivals Newcastle Jets last weekend. The 2-0 defeat leaves the Mariners needing to score three times in the return leg at Gosford on Sunday week to guarantee a grand-final berth - otherwise they could drop into a sudden-death encounter with Sydney FC or Queensland Roar.

Coach Lawrie McKinna insists winning the grand final remains a "burning ambition" of the club even though the primary goal - the minor premiership and a place in the 2009 Asian Champions League - has been achieved.

Asked whether there was a danger the players felt the job had already been done, McKinna replied: "In my own mind, there's definitely satisfaction that we've achieved what we set out to do by getting into Asia. But the job's only half done.

"I've never won a grand final, and there's plenty of boys in the same boat. There's a bit of pride at stake, we want to prove we're the best team not only over the season but also over the finals series. We came so close in year one [Central Coast lost the 2006 grand final to Sydney FC], so there's some unfinished business there. There's a burning ambition to win it because we want the title of champions. If we don't do that, it will still be a huge disappointment for us and the fans."

The more immediate focus for McKinna is how to peg back the two-goal deficit against the Jets, and he concedes he's considering tinkering with his preferred 4-4-2 formation.

"If we can get can early goal, hopefully the pressure will mount on Newcastle," he said. "We definitely believe we can score twice at home, but it's how you do it that's got me thinking. We can look at maybe changing the shape a wee bit. We still created a lot of chances up there [Newcastle] with the shape that we've had for most of the season. So do you try and change it to get better chances or do you just keep going the same way and hopefully convert the chances you get?

"When all the boys are back in next week, we'll start to dabble a wee bit. Maybe playing three up front, and really having a go, really pinning them [Jets] back a bit."

skilbeck

would be good to see Heff back for the grand final but I still think he will be defying medical advice. It would be good for him to have close to the entire off season though

brett

It's funny how guys who have ridiculous engines to go up and down the park all day such as Heff also seem to heal in record time. Advanced physical specimen I say! Forget Sonic, next season we shall call him Wolverine.

I don't know about this comeback though. It'd be silly for him to start the match, as he says, but if he comes into the squad doesn't that mean Checkers would get punted? Who will play left back until Heff comes on?

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Heffernan has been sidelined since the weekend before Christmas after coming off second-best in a collision with Sydney FC midfielder Ufuk Talay,

A collision!!!!!   my aunties carbunkle's it was a collision, that was one of the best leg sweeps i've ever seen and I watch UFC

:popo: :popo: :popo: :popo:

skilbeck

Now we just need a Nik Mrdja miracle comeback. If he came back for the GF that would be a record for him

FFC Mariner

skilbeck said:
Now we just need a Nik Mrdja miracle comeback. If he came back for the GF that would be a record for him

Sadly for Nik, Heff doesnt have heart muscle problems, just a broken leg

mustapha_beer

RECKY said:
Heffernan has been sidelined since the weekend before Christmas after coming off second-best in a collision with Sydney FC midfielder Ufuk Talay,

A collision!!!!!   my aunties carbunkle's it was a collision, that was one of the best leg sweeps i've ever seen and I watch UFC

:popo: :popo: :popo: :popo:

ROFL...."My Auntie's Carbunkles"????!!!!.....That one made me roar out loud with laughter....better stop as I'm getting a few odd looks in the office. I agree it wasn't exactly a collision, mind you. I don't believe for a second that Talay had the express intention of breaking Heff's leg, but it was a deliberate foul.

rosko

Heff won't be back, they can't afford to lose a back the quality of 'checkers' to let Heff on the pitch for 15mins.. Its a shame, but thems the rules..

skilbeck

Im not getting my hopes up but you could cover Nik Mrdja with Checkers and that would leave room for a Heff comeback

S

striker

I always knew Heff was a tough bastard...but that is amazing!!!!!!!!!! 

Forget Soinc or Wolverine.... call him Terminator.... He'll be back!

rosko

Aloisi is Mrdja's cover isn't he? I'm sure they could always find the room if they really chose to

Andy

Talking to a mate of mine who knows Heff a couple of weeks back, he said that the same thing.

However, like Rosko said, I don't think the club will let him play because it would mean Ceccoli's contract would terminate.

BAD BULLZ

Heff told me on that brilliant night when we became premiors HE WOULD PLAY i doubted him but he said "watch me I WILL its a clean break and going really well"admittedly he had consumed a light lager or 2 by then ;) it would be nice but it would be risky to sub checkers .thats great heart considering he would rather be playin elsewhere to begin with.

SNOWMARINER

As much as the team misses him and that we'd like to see him play I doubt whether it's a reality. Even if his leg was strong enough he would be short on fitness and if he got injuried after coming on it might leave us a player down.

Geez we need him back but I'd think next season it will have to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred