• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

"I for one welcome our insect overlords" - The Politics Thread

Wombat

Now I get to listen to Albo bumbling on like a drunk for the next 3 years along with Poison Penny.

Thank God for Spotify!

-Thankfully I have paid off my mortgage so they can't hurt me too badly.

Last edited:

Man Overboard

Ding dong the witch is dead - off you f**k Lucy
Now she will have to get a real job and work for a living. I think she was a lightweight who just made up the numbers and rode along Abbo's coat tails, and cruised along hitched to Turnbull's and then Scummo's wagons. She claims that she was a teacher before entering politics. I heard that it was'nt the public system and only for a short time. I'd love to be a fly on the wall as she tries to return to the classroom especially in one of the tougher schools on the coast.

marinermick

Lucy was the most useless member in the history of that seat. In nine years she couldn’t even rise through the ranks of the Liberal Party at a time when the party was desperate for female representation. Not even a junior ministerial position. There was a reason why her party gagged her for speaking too much to the media at every election.

pjennings

Manager of gov business at the time responsible for negotiating and keeping relationships forged with the cross bench, one Anthony Albanese.
Kudos to him for that. However as PM he won't be able to do that. I suspect the ALP will win a very slight majority but they will need to work with the Independents and Greens to give the strongest possible anti-corruption body.

I think we will see a push for real time donation reporting and a change to standing orders to make Question Time back to more it was meant to be. E.g. you can't get asked a question unless you have cleared your outstanding questions on notice. This has been the least accountable parliament in Australia's history.

Essentially this would also force the journalists to do their jobs and not go to an easy TV grab.

Now that the election is out of the way I fully expect the ICAC result that has been delayed 3 times since February will be released and Gladys will no longer be working for Optus.

As far as climate change is concerned I would think that the ALP will stay with the target they set and claim an extra 3% from the early closure of a couple of power stations. They will also encourage business to go further and welcome it - but will keep their target where it is.

The fun bit on the coalition side will be the re-writing of the coalition agreement. The Nats are relatively unscathed (though big swings against them) and as a proportion will demand a greater say.

I'm not sure who the Libs will go for but Dutton will make them more unpopular

Last edited:

Man Overboard

Its not what I wanted but I predict that this will be a very dysfunctional government. Too many independents with diverse agendas to accommodate, massive debt to deal with, need for spending on infrastructure, industrial issues like minimum wage increase, increase in the dole, the transition from coal etc, even before factions come into the mix. Minority government is better than opposition, but it would be much easier to govern in your own right. Hopefully with counting still going that may happen. On top of that, I don't think Labor won the election, the Liberals lost it by imploding. The seats Labor won are on narrow margins and can easily revert to Liberals at the next election if he doesn't do a really good job, otherwise it a one term government. I hope he is up to it.

BTW The missus and I made a pilgrimage to Engadine Maccas yesterday and ordered the McScomo [Nuggets and a chocolate thickshake] lol

scottmac

Suspended
Its not what I wanted but I predict that this will be a very dysfunctional government. Too many independents with diverse agendas to accommodate, massive debt to deal with, need for spending on infrastructure, industrial issues like minimum wage increase, increase in the dole, the transition from coal etc, even before factions come into the mix. Minority government is better than opposition, but it would be much easier to govern in your own right. Hopefully with counting still going that may happen. On top of that, I don't think Labor won the election, the Liberals lost it by imploding. The seats Labor won are on narrow margins and can easily revert to Liberals at the next election if he doesn't do a really good job, otherwise it a one term government. I hope he is up to it.
Not sure you've been following closely ? there are liberal heartland seats lost not only to Labor but to first time independents. They aren't all swing seats.
As Marinermick pointed out above the most functional gov of the past 20yrs (in terms of passing legislation) was the labour Gillard minority gov. So it's not guaranteed dysfunction just because of the size of the crossbench. I think it's going to be the way of the future and majority government may be a thing of the past. It's a great prospect IMO so partie members can forget about what's good for the party and focus on what's good for their electorate.

style_cafe

Kudos to him for that. However as PM he won't be able to do that. I suspect the ALP will win a very slight majority but they will need to work with the Independents and Greens to give the strongest possible anti-corruption body.

I think we will see a push for real time donation reporting and a change to standing orders to make Question Time back to more it was meant to be. E.g. you can't get asked a question unless you have cleared your outstanding questions on notice. This has been the least accountable parliament in Australia's history.

Essentially this would also force the journalists to do their jobs and not go to an easy TV grab.

Now that the election is out of the way I fully expect the ICAC result that has been delayed 3 times since February will be released and Gladys will no longer be working for Optus.

As far as climate change is concerned I would think that the ALP will stay with the target they set and claim an extra 3% from the early closure of a couple of power stations. They will also encourage business to go further and welcome it - but will keep their target where it is.

The fun bit on the coalition side will be the re-writing of the coalition agreement. The Nats are relatively unscathed (though big swings against them) and as a proportion will demand a greater say.

I'm not sure who the Libs will go for but Dutton will make them more unpopular
The Libs were so toxic that any of Morrison`s disciples will be just as unpopular as the Leader of the Oppsition. In saying that maybe Barnaby might step forward as the leader of the lNP...:popcorn:

midfielder

For me the biggest thing coming out of the election result election been the rise of both the Greens and independences.

This will result in it being difficult for the Libs to get back lost seats.

With Dutton in charge, getting those educated young people and women to vote for Dutton will be near impossible.

It's like the Coalition has got a case of the Labour party .i.e. how does Labour balance the needs of the inner city to those of outer city.

The Libs tried to hold the coal line and it worked for a while but the dam wall has burst.

Their challenge is to get back 7 to 10 seats if not they will never win

Man Overboard

Not sure you've been following closely ? there are liberal heartland seats lost not only to Labor but to first time independents. They aren't all swing seats.
As Marinermick pointed out above the most functional gov of the past 20yrs (in terms of passing legislation) was the labour Gillard minority gov. So it's not guaranteed dysfunction just because of the size of the crossbench. I think it's going to be the way of the future and majority government may be a thing of the past. It's a great prospect IMO so partie members can forget about what's good for the party and focus on what's good for their electorate.
Hi Scott, I think that the Liberals may use this time in opposition to reset by mending fences with their disenchanted Teal supporters. If they do then they will be a serious contender next time around by regaining the Teal independent seats that had massive swings, but are held by small margins. These seats are what I was referring to.
The Greens did really well but generally their success was at the expense of Labor, not the Coalition.

I don't mind the idea of minority governments as they have moderated otherwise bolshie governments. In the past it was only a few peeps like Windsor and Oakshott who helped form governments. These were fairly stable. Now with so many possible independent options, the horse trading will be more complex. If one independent decides to no longer support the minority Labor government, Albo can always tell them to take a hike as there are other options for him. This is the dysfunction I was referring to. It will be interesting to see who gets the balance of power in the lower house, and THEN there will be the fun and games in the Senate

Last edited:

Man Overboard

The Libs were so toxic that any of Morrison`s disciples will be just as unpopular as the Leader of the Oppsition. In saying that maybe Barnaby might step forward as the leader of the lNP...:popcorn:
The Libs would be mad to pick Mr Potato Head. I think they need to distance themselves from him, Barnaby and Scummo. A woman leader would be the smart move and a shadow cabinet stacked with more like Bridget Archer who has demonstrated her integrity by crossing the floor. Three years in opposition could be used to have novice shadow ministers train up in their portfolios.

pjennings

For me the biggest thing coming out of the election result election been the rise of both the Greens and independences.

This will result in it being difficult for the Libs to get back lost seats.

With Dutton in charge, getting those educated young people and women to vote for Dutton will be near impossible.

It's like the Coalition has got a case of the Labour party .i.e. how does Labour balance the needs of the inner city to those of outer city.

The Libs tried to hold the coal line and it worked for a while but the dam wall has burst.

Their challenge is to get back 7 to 10 seats if not they will never win

While there was a slight swing on primaries against Labor it was definitely an 'its time election'. Labor picked up seats because of this and people in traditional Coalition went independent because of this. The increase in the Greens was also another sign - they wanted a Labor agenda- just faster.

What do the Libs do - drift back to the centre to try and reclaim some of the Independents or go further right as Peta Credlin is advocating? TBH most of the Teal independents are what would have been perfect candidates for a traditional centre right Liberal party in the tradition of Julia Banks. I believe they need to go back to their traditional base rather than big business, big media, big oil and happy clappy Christians. My fear (for them) is that they go further right and lose all relevance and the community independents over time will become the de-facto opposition.

The vast majority of Australia are centrists not extreme right or left. The Libs need to remember that and make an appropriate course correction.

Insertnamehere

The Libs would be mad to pick Mr Potato Head. I think they need to distance themselves from him, Barnaby and Scummo. A woman leader would be the smart move and a shadow cabinet stacked with more like Bridget Archer who has demonstrated her integrity by crossing the floor. Three years in opposition could be used to have novice shadow ministers train up in their portfolios.
Crossing the floor is Archer's only redeeming value. LNP is full of underperformers now. Bishop could have led them to multiple election victories but they wanted to lurch right.

If they go with any of Tudge, Taylor, Dutton they are showing no lessons have been learnt. There's just no high quality moderates.

Most of let's see who's left after an ICAC gets established.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami