• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Ironbark

Just me or was the club sharing the story about Kilmarnock considering a move for Monty, a VERY f**king strange thing to do?
got a feeling it was a solo call by the new media guy going off how he runs his personal social media.
do not rate that at all.
The new guy just started, we need to cut him some slack. Especially if on his third day the owner comes in and says 'publish this', what else is he going to do?

It's odd, but I think the idea of showing our coach is in demand is not a bad idea. I agree it should have been sold that way rather than the way it was though.

In the end this is all just mountains out of molehills because it's off season and there's little else to talk about.

Ironbark

The last media guy was a pro, his social media activity last season boosted the profile and popularity of the club in a small way. Rich should’ve improved his salary like some of the players.
Wasn't money - he was great but had an opportunity overseas he wanted to take and that was that. Fair enough really.

priorpeter

The new guy just started, we need to cut him some slack. Especially if on his third day the owner comes in and says 'publish this', what else is he going to do?

It's odd, but I think the idea of showing our coach is in demand is not a bad idea. I agree it should have been sold that way rather than the way it was though.

In the end this is all just mountains out of molehills because it's off season and there's little else to talk about.
Sorry, but “it’s my first day” or “it’s my third week” really doesn’t cut it for this one. Like I said, any of our other previous media managers would have pushed back, or found a way to massage and finesse it a little (a lot) differently.

priorpeter

Wasn't money - he was great but had an opportunity overseas he wanted to take and that was that. Fair enough really.
It definitely was money and the opportunity isn’t overseas. He’s in Europe on hols For the next few days before returning and diving into his new gig.

priorpeter

We seem to be a development club all round. We have developed (or they have developed themselves with us) a number of excellent media people over the years. I'm just waiting for the young bloke that calls the Academy guys to get a gig calling the A-League guys!!!
1000% agree with the first part of this - we’ve been blessed with some of the best over the years; pretty much all have gone on to great things, you do love to see it.
As for the commentator, big question marks over him ?

Ironbark

Sorry, but “it’s my first day” or “it’s my third week” really doesn’t cut it for this one. Like I said, any of our other previous media managers would have pushed back, or found a way to massage and finesse it a little (a lot) differently.
Yeah don't agree. First few days of any job (as a young guy) and the owner tells you what to do - you do it.
And our previous media managers only had to deal with an absent owner on the other side of the world

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

100% Hire me as a mechanic. I'll be eager and turn up early. I'll still f**k up your car though.
Reason is I'm not qualified for the job.
They need someone with sports media quals and pay them accordingly

bikinigirl

We seem to be a development club all round. We have developed (or they have developed themselves with us) a number of excellent media people over the years.

. considering that the start and finish of all worthwhile Mariners social media is ccmfans.net i can't really comment on all the twit-face hoop-la ... but i agree

. most club appointments have been for young, inexperienced and cheap options and i don't remember there even being much discussion about them let alone outright criticism in their first few weeks, months or more in the job

. this seems to be a problem because the kid had built his own (amateur?) profile beforehand. if he has complete autonomy (very doubtful) and is paid as the experienced professional people expect him to be than that would be a different story ... but from the outside it looks like people are beating up on the work experience kid

priorpeter

In fairness the kid has been thrown in the deep end with limited, if any, experience in what is a very demanding role. I agree that we didn’t have these sorts of discussions about previous appointments, though I’d argue it’s because we didn’t see these sorts of faux pas. As I’ve said, we’ve been blessed with some of the best in the past; thankfully the club is looking to expand in this space.

FFC Mariner

Deactivate Facebook or unfollow CCM and the problem goes away.
Any news gets leaked here or in various group chats anyway
A highly regarded ex staff member said to me that no one really reads or takes any notice of the comments anyway. I reckon a reconciliation between posters to clubs FB and membership and game attendance are not correlated.
One regular goober comments and threatens to never go again and lives in Qld.
Which is why it's so weird that it's their only comms channel.
They know it doesn't move the dial. Social media is only a complementary channel not a prime channel

Last edited:

pjennings

In fairness the kid has been thrown in the deep end with limited, if any, experience in what is a very demanding role. I agree that we didn’t have these sorts of discussions about previous appointments, though I’d argue it’s because we didn’t see these sorts of faux pas. As I’ve said, we’ve been blessed with some of the best in the past; thankfully the club is looking to expand in this space.
I'd also say that when Ben Coonan started the world of social media was a lot smaller and the scrutiny in that space would have been less.

P.S Some of the work Ben has done with the Socceroos over the years was as good as it gets. I will always remember the story Staj told about sitting next to Prospero Bresciano at the Uruguay game. Goal comes about 35 min in - Staj about a minute later

Last edited:

AuzDutchy

1000% agree with the first part of this - we’ve been blessed with some of the best over the years; pretty much all have gone on to great things, you do love to see it.
As for the commentator, big question marks over him ?
Better than Ben Homer or Bence whathisname

what kind of a name is Bence anyway ??????

Ancient Mariner

This whole conversation brings back memories of the first ever mariners' game. It was a trial at Christie park and I ended up sitting next to Chris (Kevrenor), who I only knew through the original forum. He introduced me to this kid who was getting into media. It was Ben Coonan.
It now all seems a very long time ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred