• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R3 CCM v ZADS PERF LADS ,,,,,,,,,, don't stuff it up

Forum Phoenix

I’m not happy but we do need to keep perspective.

The backline needs to improve but in Hall and Triantis (and Windust looked solid too) we do at least have the players to challenge for those spots if/when Monty wants to change.

I’ll really worry about Faz only when he starts to consistently not perform. But I wish we had another LB to challenge him,

Roux was very good. Aquilina had some bright moments too,

Central midfield… I’m worried. For mine Max and Niz are very similar and both are facing the same issues, unless we get that extra man into the middle, I can’t see their pairing as being able to get control of the middle physically, nor consistently being able to build creative attacking plays. You don’t win many games if you don’t control the middle unless you have a hell of a counter. Which Segway’s nicely to our…

Wide mids.. are too rarely getting on the ball, and so far never getting to the byline and or in behind.
Despite some comments I think Tulio actually showed he has promise in this vein, But where are the balls from silvera or Beni?? I want to rely on Faz to finish Cummings bloody crosses
almost as much as I think it’s a good idea to have Faz as our major point of attacking delivery into the box.

strikers… Ayongo is hard working but there’s no one opening up space for him and the double teamed CUmdingo dropping back to get on the ball does not help with this, and only puts our best finisher out of range.

We need proper runs and width from our wide mids, quality service to our strikers, and we need creative attacking balls and runs in the middle. For mine we tend to look best when Niz or Ballard start distributing more like one of them is a ten than a pair of sixes who don’t really seem to be sure whose six of one and whose half a dozen of the other.

marinermick

The backline needs to improve but in Hall and Triantis (and Windust looked solid too) we do at least have the players to challenge for those spots if/when Monty wants to change.

I’ll really worry about Faz only when he starts to consistently not perform. But I wish we had another LB to challenge him,

Central midfield… I’m worried. For mine Max and Niz are very similar and both are facing the same issues, unless we get that extra man into the middle, I can’t see their pairing as being able to get control of the middle physically, nor consistently being able to build creative attacking plays. You don’t win many games if you don’t control the middle unless you have a hell of a counter. Which Segway’s nicely to our…

Wide mids.. are too rarely getting on the ball, and so far never getting to the byline and or in behind.
Despite some comments I think Tulio actually showed he has promise in this vein, But where are the balls from silvera or Beni?? I want to rely on Faz to finish Cummings bloody crosses
almost as much as I think it’s a good idea to have Faz as our major point of attacking delivery into the box.

strikers… Ayongo is hard working but there’s no one opening up space for him and the double teamed CUmdingo dropping back to get on the ball does not help with this, and only puts our best finisher out of range.

We need proper runs and width from our wide mids, quality service to our strikers, and we need creative attacking balls and runs in the middle. For mine we tend to look best when Niz or Ballard start distributing more like one of them is a ten than a pair of sixes who don’t really seem to be sure whose six of one and whose half a dozen of the other.

All interesting comments which can only lead to two conclusions:
1. We don’t have a plan or
2. We are not following the plan

Too many issues for it to be a player personnel problem.

FFC Mariner

All interesting comments which can only lead to two conclusions:
1. We don’t have a plan or
2. We are not following the plan

Too many issues for it to be a player personnel problem.
Good post. The question to Monty needs to be
Was that your tactical plan?

If yes, you need a plan B

If no, why are they ignoring you.

We were a traditional 442 and when they got the ball there was no press and we dropped off 10m. Thats tactical and deliberate.

Gave them all the time in the world to play out.

marinermick

Good post. The question to Monty needs to be
Was that your tactical plan?

If yes, you need a plan B

If no, why are they ignoring you.

We were a traditional 442 and when they got the ball there was no press and we dropped off 10m. Thats tactical and deliberate.

Gave them all the time in the world to play out.

This is so perplexing to me as this has not been the Monty teams of the past. We were always so fast, direct and physical in both attack and defence.

Ancient Mariner

I like your thinking (as usual).
But how about Triantis as a #6.
Nizz as a#8.
Silvera as a #10.
Tulio on the wing and only one striker.
ie 4 1 3 1.
(and only one fullback going forward at a time).
It should fill the midfield, stop us playing with 4 across the front and no depth in attack, but still have plenty of goal scoring options from the wingers.

PatientMariner

Couple of issues.

Silvera in left mid not tracking back leaves Farrell exposed. Either we need a formation change or Silvera can't play that position.

I'm not convinced in Kelchi and Kaltak as a backs combo. Kaltak ball watching on both goals. 2nd goal he basically left the Perth attacker scoot into the goal. At least make it difficult for him. For me he's not the answer. Could he be used as a CDM as a bit of muscle perhaps? The sooner Dan Hall comes back the better. Wouldn't mind seeing a Hall and Kelechi combo. Lucky we have depth with Triantis as well.

As for the attack, I agree we are missing Marco as the link player.Cummings is trying to drop deep to make things happen (like the first goal), Cummings is our #1 goal scorer and should be up front getting decent service! Unless you put him and Garang up front together and Garang can use his pace with the touch of Cummings?

This seasons going to be tough with the turnaround of players. Hopefully we gel soon! Going to put it down to a bad night but for me the CB's are our biggest concern right now! (My god aren't we missing Rowlesy atm!)

FFC Mariner

Couple of issues.

Silvera in left mid not tracking back leaves Farrell exposed. Either we need a formation change or Silvera can't play that position.

I'm not convinced in Kelchi and Kaltak as a backs combo. Kaltak ball watching on both goals. 2nd goal he basically left the Perth attacker scoot into the goal. At least make it difficult for him. For me he's not the answer. Could he be used as a CDM as a bit of muscle perhaps? The sooner Dan Hall comes back the better. Wouldn't mind seeing a Hall and Kelechi combo. Lucky we have depth with Triantis as well.

As for the attack, I agree we are missing Marco as the link player.Cummings is trying to drop deep to make things happen (like the first goal), Cummings is our #1 goal scorer and should be up front getting decent service! Unless you put him and Garang up front together and Garang can use his pace with the touch of Cummings?

This seasons going to be tough with the turnaround of players. Hopefully we gel soon! Going to put it down to a bad night but for me the CB's are our biggest concern right now! (My god aren't we missing Rowlesy atm!)

Easy scapegoat but Kaltak is not even close to AL standard - we knew that because we passed on him 6 months ago.

Big Al

A bit more effort for longer and some more cohesion and we Will improve to where we need to be.

A bit of work is required with the CB’s but in reality we have conceded two very unlucky goals out of the 4 that really killed us.

Hall is not the answer. Triantis is my preferred change if one is to be made but I don’t see one being made. Just a bit of work required with them. They are at about 70% and we need up to 90% right now. They will build with the season but need to get more urgency.

Farrell is fine, he’s the same player as last season and everyone thinks there’s something wrong with him when he’s always looked like he’s in second gear. This season the attack is more balanced without miller and more work is coming Farrell’s way and he still doesn’t have a right foot and still looks lost when getting into attacking positions. I don’t think he’ll ever be great there. He is more defensive minded but required to attack alot more this season. I actually think he’d be a better CB.

Max had a good game but neither him or Nizzy are great at splitting a deep set defense. Niz is asked to do to much for his ability at the moment. I’d like to see Tulio given more of the attack creation and that may come with fitness. Nizz is handling the bozanic role quite well but sometimes needs to be quicker.

Rhus was out highest scoring player during preseason with Silvera and hasn’t been given much of a go yet. Think he needs to come into the starting side for energy.

Beni took a while to get going last year and looks to be starting slow but defenses are ready for his cut back as well. Has been a poor start from him

I think we will see a mire aggressive side next game and some changes to show the boys not to take starting for granted and to put a rocket into the side

good thing is I haven’t seen to many quality sides that look unbeatable except for maybe City. So we can certainly start winning now

Gazza 13

Easy scapegoat but Kaltak is not even close to AL standard - we knew that because we passed on him 6 months ago.
Exactly. I don't care about the feel good story of a 29 year old footballer from Vanuatu who has never played professionally sign an A-League contract with the Mariners. All I care about is us playing good football and winning and if we have guys who are in the starting team and not even at A-League standard then we won't be finals contenders and we'll be battling to avoid the spoon soon enough.

Gazza 13

Exactly. I don't care about the feel good story of a 29 year old footballer from Vanuatu who has never played professionally sign an A-League contract with the Mariners. All I care about is us playing good football and winning and if we have guys who are in the starting team and not even at A-League standard then we won't be finals contenders and we'll be battling to avoid the spoon soon enough.
Still though we are only 2 games in so we don't need to hit the panic buttons just yet, we'll see how the Western game goes

turbo

Still though we are only 2 games in so we don't need to hit the panic buttons just yet, we'll see how the Western game goes
Problem is we’ve now dropped points in two of our easier matches. At present the softest teams (in no particular order) appear to be Wellington, Perth, Brisbane, WU and potentially us. If we don’t get our act together for WU it’ll be a long road back. Will also be a bigger ask to keep crowds coming back. 5.6k isn’t great already but there was the spectre of rain hanging about. If we want that to become 6 or 7k we need to put on a better show.

Corsair

Problem is we’ve now dropped points in two of our easier matches. At present the softest teams (in no particular order) appear to be Wellington, Perth, Brisbane, WU and potentially us. If we don’t get our act together for WU it’ll be a long road back. Will also be a bigger ask to keep crowds coming back. 5.6k isn’t great already but there was the spectre of rain hanging about. If we want that to become 6 or 7k we need to put on a better show.
If we play like that against WU they will thrash us. I think Pain is going to have a lot of fun running at our current defence if Monty keeps it the same.

Last edited:

turbo

you know why we hit panic buttons (and the buttons either side of it)?...year upon year of absolute shite ...thats why ;)
Some of the comments I heard on the way out show the stench of the bad years still lingers for many. In particular "if we come to enough games we might see them win one". We cant afford another crap season because the previous lot arent far enough behind us.

Meerkat

Some of the comments I heard on the way out show the stench of the bad years still lingers for many. In particular "if we come to enough games we might see them win one". We cant afford another crap season because the previous lot arent far enough behind us.

Spot on. PTSD from the bad days!!!

I watched 3 seasons straight before I saw them win a game. Can’t go back there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb