• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 2 v Fire Chickens

pjennings

Struggled to break down a very organised and structured Phoenix defence. Deserved at least a draw from a couple of lucky goals from the 'Nix. Slightly worrying that we seemingly had no answers to a set defence except shoot from distance or lob fruitless cross after fruitless cross. Urena, Nisbet and Birighitti our best but Bozanic and Balard/Steele were pretty devoid of ideas by the end. But quite an unlucky result and you could feel we missed Kuol today. Decent starting debut from Tsekenis and would have had an assist on another day, excited to see more of him. More positives than negatives in this one and on another day we win.

Not our best display defensively at all and we struggled to break them down but Talay always sets a team up well and I still think we have a way to go to be at our best.

With a fully fit team we wouldn't be starting with Balard and Tsekenis. Ruon would be up to speed and Nizz would be partnering Ollie in the middle and I suspect that Moresche would be starting next to Urena ( a prospect I am looking forward to). Then you have Beni, Cy and Mueller to play the wide men.

I hope Matty recovers soon as well but his injury may be his body telling him that with his style of play it is not made for longevity.

Last edited:

scottmac

Suspended
Not our best display defensively at all and we struggled to break them down but Talay always sets a team up well and I still think we have a way to go to be at our best.

With a fully fit team we wouldn't be starting with Balard and Tsekenis. Ruon would be up to speed and Nizz would be partnering Ollie in the middle and I suspect that Moresche would be starting next to Urena ( a prospect I am looking forward to). Then you have Beni, Cy and Mueller to play the wide men.

I hope Matty recovers soon as well but his injury may be his body telling him that with his style of play is not made for longevity.
Not sure about Nizzy over Ballard TBH. Ballard's game here wasn't as good as his first but I think he is ahead of Nizzy in defence which is where we are lacking losing Stens.

turbo

Slightly worrying that we seemingly had no answers to a set defence except shoot from distance or lob fruitless cross after fruitless cross.
We haven’t had time to build up the interplay with what is a very new looking squad. No established Urena - Simon understanding, Moresch not on early to make those links yet, new CMS in Ballard and Steele. Need to work on awareness for the cut back but overall I can see why we struggle in tight spaces.

mind you we are still doing much better than O thought with 2-3 recent academy players starting so far

pjennings

Not sure about Nizzy over Ballard TBH. Ballard's game here wasn't as good as his first but I think he is ahead of Nizzy in defence which is where we are lacking losing Stens.
Max in defence may be slightly ahead of Nizz, but the combination of Balard and Bozanic does not control the midfield. We avoid going through the middle to a large extent (except over the top) so the opposition can concentrate on shutting us down on the wings. The midfield seems to be only there to switch between the wings.

Not a slight on Max - just a better team setup from what I can see.

scottmac

Suspended
Max in defence may be slightly ahead of Nizz, but the combination of Balard and Bozanic does not control the midfield. We avoid going through the middle to a large extent (except over the top) so the opposition can concentrate on shutting us down on the wings. The midfield seems to be only there to switch between the wings.

Yep can see that. But to have that advantage we need to have the ball. Probably just haven't seen enough of Niz in the middle to be sure of that.

FFC Mariner

If you start Storm Roux and leave Dan Hall on the bench you are always going to struggle. Rowles did his usual and handed the advantage to the other side. He is NPL at best and we need to move on from him.
Good move to try Tsekenis - kid will only improve but we mist have alarm bells ringing about our inability to score.
Yes we have injuries but I'm worried about our Brazillian. I think Simon might still be the best striker on our books and thats scary.

3 word match review?

Too many teenagers

Ads

Very well said. Niz in the middle would flow better and bring the ball forward more from the middle of the park.

I’ll feel we would be more stable and less prone to counter attacks.

And Nizzy does do so much breaking down of plays and stealing the ball would not be surprised if his defence was equal to Ballard over 90mins.

scottmac

Suspended
If you start Storm Roux and leave Dan Hall on the bench you are always going to struggle. Rowles did his usual and handed the advantage to the other side. He is NPL at best and we need to move on from him.
Good move to try Tsekenis - kid will only improve but we mist have alarm bells ringing about our inability to score.
Yes we have injuries but I'm worried about our Brazillian. I think Simon might still be the best striker on our books and thats scary.

3 word match review?

Too many teenagers
Disagree totally. Urena is the best striker on our books and Tongyik was worse than Rowles here. Your love for Hall is noted but he isn't a right back. Or a left back for that matter. Tsekenis was a bold choice but it should have been Moresche. Tsekenis isn't ready to play off someone like Urena. The choice wouldn't have to be made if Simon was fit. Would have been better if Nizz played forward and Tsekenis played wide.

Last edited:

Tevor

They mentioned Simon has a bulged disc so he may be out for some time, tough injury to recover from. Ruon did not have a full pre season and it shows as he is still rusty. Bread Rowles had a bad day at the office, his poor clearance gave them the first goal and he was very lucky they argued about who would take the Pen and somehow Waine won. Lucky break.

I felt we looked to Oli way to much in this game for our creative play. There was a moment he took the ball of Moresche!!! Tsekenis did well with not a lot of quality service in the first half, his two lay offs were great.

I watched the pre game show and they were talking about Nizzy and crossed to him and he was yawning. We started slow and clearly put everything into last week and the win made them feel complacent. Then we had to chase the game after defensive blunders. Monty needs to also learn to bring them back to earth and to get them focused for every match.

I get the feeling it’s a bit like the past. We play poorly in games we should win and lift against the better teams. Next few games will show our mental fortitude.

scottmac

Suspended
They mentioned Simon has a bulged disc so he may be out for some time, tough injury to recover from. Ruon did not have a full pre season and it shows as he is still rusty. Bread Rowles had a bad day at the office, his poor clearance gave them the first goal and he was very lucky they argued about who would take the Pen and somehow Waine won. Lucky break.

I felt we looked to Oli way to much in this game for our creative play. There was a moment he took the ball of Moresche!!! Tsekenis did well with not a lot of quality service in the first half, his two lay offs were great.

I watched the pre game show and they were talking about Nizzy and crossed to him and he was yawning. We started slow and clearly put everything into last week and the win made them feel complacent. Then we had to chase the game after defensive blunders. Monty needs to also learn to bring them back to earth and to get them focused for every match.

I get the feeling it’s a bit like the past. We play poorly in games we should win and lift against the better teams. Next few games will show our mental fortitude.
Yeah I think we've gone into this one a little bit underdone because of the 3 games in a week.

FFC Mariner

I dont get the rowles love on here - he is a dreadful CB and without Birraz and RT he would get shown up even more.
Wellington are a good side, superbly coached. I really like Talay (except when he was smashing players legs).
Sometimes you hold your hands up and say were werent good enough.
Today was one of those days

Tim

A dreadful CB? Dreadful CB’s don’t play approaching 100 A-League games and get picked for the Olyroos. Give the kid a break. He’s a very good player who, like most, makes his share of mistakes (and unfortunately they are quite public in the position he plays) but to say he’s “dreadful” is simply a dreadful comment…

FFC Mariner

A dreadful CB? Dreadful CB’s don’t play approaching 100 A-League games and get picked for the Olyroos. Give the kid a break. He’s a very good player who, like most, makes his share of mistakes (and unfortunately they are quite public in the position he plays) but to say he’s “dreadful” is simply a dreadful comment…
No - its an opinion.
If you watch him the majority of the goals we let in are directly his fault. He ball watches and doesnt have a good football brain in the way that Ruon does.Getting picked by Arnie isnt exactly a ringing endorsement.
He will be moved on in time as the comp improves

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami